Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roads and roundabouts missing from main dash screen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, my S has been in for minor bumper and wing repair and since having it back (2nd rejection) while driving around my neighbourhood I have no roads on the main screen. Sat Nav is fine and showing roads correctly but I just have my car with a grey background and no roads until I get onto a main road and it then shows the road but still struggles to show left lines and change lines etc when it all worked prior to repairs.

It also shows a 60 on my area when no roads are visible when it’s only a 30 but guess it just doesn’t know where it is.

I drive from a main 50/60 road to a side road or go round a roundabout and roads disappear from screen only showing my car again

They would have taken the front bumper off so am wondering what may have been damaged or not reconnected or something?

Any ideas or anything I can check?

I have performed soft and hard resets and even a fully factory reset in desperation (naturally losing all settings and trips but can live with that)

While the car was away it lost mobile connection for about 7 days but that kicked back in after soft reset.

Any help greatly received. They will be taking the car back due to 2nd rejection of the work but would like to be able to advise what they might have broken????

Apparently a Tesla Approved garage from Tesla site grrrr, should have stuck with insurance garages.

Cheers all in advance

Bug report for a 2013 Model S 85 now running 2018.24.1 12dd099.

Literally the moment I turned on the car once firmware 2018.24.1 was successfully installed a few weeks ago, I noticed a problem in the Navigation map on the 17” screen: it wouldn’t load any map imagery. All I saw was the gray grid, and the red arrow where the car was in my garage. If I zoomed way way out, I would see New Mexico, great. But if I zoomed back in, or pressed the button to orient North, it would zoom in and default to an empty grid again.

(Obviously the two gray vertical vars are an artifact of the camera not the 17" Tesla screen):

View attachment 318403

What I have noticed ever since is very spotty map coverage. It doesn’t matter where, and it is independent of the communications bandwidth at the moment (in the garage I have full blazing wi-fi and the car is plenty happy with it). Around town or on an interstate I usually get 3 to 5 bars of cellular in the car, which prior to 2018.24.1 was always plenty to load maps as I moved through an area.

We recently drove to Denver for a short vacation, and I used the Nav extensively to find places around Denver. What I noticed is that whenever I got closer and closer to a destination, from 10 miles to 1 mile to a few blocks, the Nav would do its thing of auto-zooming to show more detail as I got closer — love that feature. BUT… as it auto-zoomed, it would invariably start losing map detail, and large swaths of the map would just default to gray grid again. By the time I'd arrive somewhere, I was . . . nowhere on the map!

View attachment 318404

This is the normal behavior with the maps now, ever since I downloaded 2018.24.1. It happens all over the place, anywhere I go. To be completely clear, it happens about 95% of the time. Once in a great while when I am using Nav to get somewhere, it will properly auto-zoom all the way to the destination with correct map detail. But that’s like 5% of the time now. The rest of the time the map is full of empty spaces with no detail.

Is this a known bug? Anyone else seeing this?
Is this what you're seeing? If so, you'll need to get the 2018.26 update

Is this what you're seeing? If so, you'll need to get the 2018.26 update
The 17” screen seems fine (I am on 2018.24.1 but was ok before going into repairs) it’s just the main dash screen in the centre where it shows AP etc. The sat nav on the left of the dash is also fine, just the main bit that would normally show the rainbow road when playing cowbells but I might give Tesla a call to see if I can get the later version pushed to check.

The 17” screen seems fine (I am on 2018.24.1 but was ok before going into repairs) it’s just the main dash screen in the centre where it shows AP etc. The sat nav on the left of the dash is also fine, just the main bit that would normally show the rainbow road when playing cowbells but I might give Tesla a call to see if I can get the later version pushed to check.
My apologies... I misunderstood what you were referring to. I agree you should contact Tesla about this.

CE81BA07-286D-4302-B0C2-1E66FED3A8A9.jpeg

My apologies... I misunderstood what you were referring to. I agree you should contact Tesla about this.
Not at all, I appreciate your response.

I was trying to work out how to explain it and failed :) just couldn’t think that the dash screen is erm the dash screen, mind went blank when typing the post

I stopped to take the photo but that’s what it looks like while driving around the local roads

View attachment 318747

Not at all, I appreciate your response.

I was trying to work out how to explain it and failed :) just couldn’t think that the dash screen is erm the dash screen, mind went blank when typing the post

I stopped to take the photo but that’s what it looks like while driving around the local roads
Depending on the road, that's pretty normal. It looks as if auto pilot can't find any lane markings.

Since they were working on your bumper, you may still be in calibration mode. Unless you've already driven more than 150 km, I wouldn't worry about yet.

With that said, if it should recognize the roads in question and you've driven far enough to have calibrated AP, there's a chance your sensors need to be replaced or realigned. Alternatively, you may just need to have the system recalibrated. Either way, you should call Tesla.