Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster 2 iPod dock

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As about 100 Roadster 2 are out already, may I ask if anyone can inform about the "dockingstation" in front of the the gear switching buttons.
As I have seen on some events (e.g. the sport inroduction in london), there is a rubber protection at the bottom, and below there is a connector.

• How does it work, which style of connector is it?
  • Which type of iPod / iPhone does fit in this docking station / holder?
  • Who has experience which kind of iPod / iPhone / other device is hold safely there, even in case of spirited driving?

Thanks.

James,

thanks for the information.
I am sorry for the next question, but as non-american I am not so familiar with the iPods and their history.
Arent there also different generations? Nano? Touch? Does someone know which model(s) available now will fit properly, at least in a mechanical way?

Thanks!

The Scosche adapter can fix that. I've got it hidden away in-line between the original JVC pigtail and the extender on the Proclip mount in my '08. I don't know if there's a nice place in the '10 for it, though. My ProClip mount now charges either my iPod Photo or my iPod Touch 2G.

There are two basic iPod forms - those that have the dock connector, those that don't (e.g., shuffle). Of those that have the dock connector, there are older types that charged off the FireWire power pass through pins on the dock connector, and the newer ones that charge off of the USB power pass through pins, thus the charging incompatibility between the iPhone/iPod Touch 2G and some older accessories, including the JVC unit.

Physically, it's a matter of getting enough padding or a plastic filler piece around the docking part for the newer, thinner models usually. Some docks (like the ProClip model I got) are rather adaptable and can fit a number of different iPods securely enough to work.

The last time I read this thread, I didn't yet have my car, so I promptly forgot about it.

Now I've had the car for over a month, and I just got the owner's manual today. It mentions the iPod connector. But...there is no iPod connector with my 2010 Roadster. Is that because I'm cheap and did not get the upgraded sound system? The manual does not mention that this may vary due to equipment selections.

Not that I need the connector; just curious.

The last time I read this thread, I didn't yet have my car, so I promptly forgot about it.

Now I've had the car for over a month, and I just got the owner's manual today. It mentions the iPod connector. But...there is no iPod connector with my 2010 Roadster. Is that because I'm cheap and did not get the upgraded sound system? The manual does not mention that this may vary due to equipment selections.

Not that I need the connector; just curious.

Mine's got a USB connector that's attached to the JVC stereo head.

I also didn't get the electronics upgrade.

hold safely there, even in case of spirited driving?

If you plug it in the iPod/iPhone will stay there in the case of spirited driving but will dangle like as if at the end of a fishing pole. If you do not plug it in then that plug gets in the way of it actually resting comfortably there and then for sure falls out during spirited driving.

I connected an iPod cable to the USB in the center console, opened up the console and tucked the wires back inside to neaten things up. The iPod actually tucks further in than the 2nd picture shows, I just lifted it up a bit to show how things connected.

Flickr Photo Download: iPod 002
4114936930_e4bae410f6.jpg

Flickr Photo Download: iPod 001
4114936810_0dc49fc933.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: