TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Roadster Battery on Mars

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by lance, Feb 6, 2018.

1. lance

lance Member

So Mr Musk is sending his Roadster to Mars presumably to have a vehicle when he arrives there in a few years. However, doesn't this launch and extended time on another planet risk bricking the battery?

• Funny x 1
  2. zerokewl

zerokewl Member

From what i have read, the car isn't going to land on mars. just sit in mars orbit forever. And i don't think he would launch it with the battery just in case the rocket blows up. Probably don't want cells raining down while they explode either.

3. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

#3 dpeilow, Feb 6, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
    It's unlikely to go into Mars orbit, unless they have hidden a bunch of thrusters in there to slow it down to get captured by Mars' gravity. More likely it will be in a permanent Sun-centric orbit with the distance to Mars as the aphelion (furthest point from Sun) and Earth's orbit as the perihelion (nearest point to Sun). Either that or it will get close to Mars and get a Voyager-style gravity assist to the outer Solar System.

Should also say that we are not at the ideal point in the Earth and Mars' orbits to do a transfer anyway, although I think the FH has enough spare payload mass to make up for that (note - speculation, I haven't worked this out. Edit: Elon just confirmed it Elon Musk on Twitter ), but my money would be on the former statement above.

[​IMG]

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  4. pears

pears Member

5. smorgasbord

smorgasbord Active Member

Of course, the Roadster looks to have been stripped a bit. The center console section is missing inside and since we can see through the front wheel it looks like most the front guts have also been removed.

BTW, anyone know the VIN?

• Like x 1
  6. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

5YJRE1A34A1000686

• Like x 4
    • Informative x 3
  7. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

I'm not even sure there is a wheel on the other side. Or a chassis.

upload_2018-2-7_14-26-16.png

8. Olds442

Olds442 Member

I wonder if the cold of space took the battery from the anticipated 12 hrs to 4.5 hrs of video.

9. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

I gather they thought the Van Allen belt radiation might damage some of the equipment.
    Apart from the core section landing problem, it seems like it worked as well as they had hoped.

10. Oricle

Oricle Member

The Roadster will go beyond the orbit of Mars now (they had more fuel left than expected)

Elon Musk on Twitter

11. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

You forgot to use an emoji to indicate your were joking. ;)