Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster Don'ts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I want to share my experience of a drivers training with my Roadster, so that you don't make the same mistake I did.

Last autumn I made a personal training with my Roadster. One exercise was to pass a spinning plate and to try to get your spinning car back under control. The area behind the spinning plate was very slippy, so the car moves around easily. But beside this spinning strip the track had very much grip.

I passed the spinning plate 30 times and was able to catch the spinning Roadster for about 7 times only. So I often left the slippy area backwards to the area with much grip while trying to catch the spinning Roadster.

Next day I realized that I have a rattling noise somewhere in the back of the car. Also there was another noise following the motors revs and one when cycling between acceleration and regeneration mode with the pedal.

At the end Tesla changed the motor and the gearbox which took a while because of availability of sparing parts !

So I'm really sure beside all other exercises of this training that one with the spinning plate was responsible for damaging those parts, especially the backward moves of the spinning car to the grippy area.
Tesla technicians said maybe the motor/gearbox already had some minor damages, but I didn't realize any problems before this training.

So be careful doing such maneuvers.

This "Spinning plate"... Is that like the "Kick plate" in this video (at 2:08) ? :

Track test video

Exactly, didn't know the correct word in English, it's a Kick plate.

Here is one video of this Kick plate my instructor made:

Another impression, this exercise really made fun :D:

@wiztecy
Never hit anything with my rear wheels. Was astonished too when I heard from the Tesla technician that the rattling noise came from the motor.

@Gizmo74
It took a little bit over 3 months to get the gearbox from USA, it was ordered in the 1st week of September and arrived in the 2nd week of December.
Was wondering that there's no gearbox available in Europe though we have around 1000 Roadsters on our continent :rolleyes:.

The motor problem was detected when Tesla replaced the gearbox, but luckily the motor came from Germany in 1 or 2 days.
Had my car in the SC for 4 days.

My car is the service center since begin of february because of a vibrate/humming sound at low speed. They replaced the gearbox, but wasn't fix the problem. Then they ordered a new motor and gearbox again (don't know exactly why, seems something was not ok with the first replacement) from US because no parts available in switzerland/europe. Looks like you got the last motor they had in stock ;-)