Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster Electrical HELP...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apparently the DC/DC converter doesn't power on below 250v, which is a reason why a pack that low doesn't let the rest of the car start humming.

Also, apparently there are a limited number of custom ESS rejuvenation machines in existence, which may be why dead packs tended to get sent back to HQ instead of being fixed on site.

Apparently the DC/DC converter doesn't power on below 250v, which is a reason why a pack that low doesn't let the rest of the car start humming.

Also, apparently there are a limited number of custom ESS rejuvenation machines in existence, which may be why dead packs tended to get sent back to HQ instead of being fixed on site.

Rejuvenation can happen without the "machine", takes some time but is doable

Rejuvenation can happen without the "machine", takes some time but is doable

And dangerous. I know a person reviving an older Zero pack when it flamed up during the process. Luckily he was home, the dog alerted him and by the time he got down there the fire was intense. He was able to pull the pack out of the garage since it was on some sort of metal tray and got lucky. The intense fire was the pack going off and what did catch on fire in his garage, he was able to put out himself since he caught it in time.

This is something you don't want to do inside your garage and must be monitored carefully.

Besides, the battery will never charge, hold a charge nor perform even close to what it use to. Not worth it in my opinion.

And dangerous. I know a person reviving an older Zero pack when it flamed up during the process. Luckily he was home, the dog alerted him and by the time he got down there the fire was intense. He was able to pull the pack out of the garage since it was on some sort of metal tray and got lucky. The intense fire was the pack going off and what did catch on fire in his garage, he was able to put out himself since he caught it in time.

This is something you don't want to do inside your garage and must be monitored carefully.

Besides, the battery will never charge, hold a charge nor perform even close to what it use to. Not worth it in my opinion.

None of this stuff should be done at home, it isn't "hobbyist" stuff, there is always risk whenever working with electricity and especially with batteries. A lot of Lithium cells are recoverable but a significant portion of them will not be. It's possible to identify and remove the "weakest" cells from the block of 6831 in the Roadster, and this should be done prior to re-installation.

Anyways, you are right it takes some time and a lot of care, but in the end it is doable...

Wow guys why the piling on? I seems to be an honest question on how some subsystems work. Knowledge we could all benefit from

Indeed. He has been very clear in all his posts that he is doing research and not taking money for a job he can't handle. Yet every time he asks a question, some need to bash on him.
People who would consider using his service in the future, will be those that got a quote from Tesla for a new PEM or ESS, and not willing to pay that amount. I would take the plunge, it's a no brainer if the part is already declared dead by the SC. We should be proud that people come here to gather information that in the end leads to non-OEM repair options at a fraction of the price! Bottom line? Keep going, ElectricLove!

Indeed. He has been very clear in all his posts that he is doing research and not taking money for a job he can't handle. Yet every time he asks a question, some need to bash on him.
People who would consider using his service in the future, will be those that got a quote from Tesla for a new PEM or ESS, and not willing to pay that amount. I would take the plunge, it's a no brainer if the part is already declared dead by the SC. We should be proud that people come here to gather information that in the end leads to non-OEM repair options at a fraction of the price! Bottom line? Keep going, ElectricLove!
My post quoted in the post about piling on. I asked will tesla service the car in future with the battery components altered. That is not piling on and people do need to look into this before going down that path

None of this stuff should be done at home, it isn't "hobbyist" stuff, there is always risk whenever working with electricity and especially with batteries. A lot of Lithium cells are recoverable but a significant portion of them will not be. It's possible to identify and remove the "weakest" cells from the block of 6831 in the Roadster, and this should be done prior to re-installation.

Anyways, you are right it takes some time and a lot of care, but in the end it is doable...

True about weeding out the bad/weak cells and recovering what's good. I'm sure Tesla does the same thing with their miracle machine. Yes, I know you have some more knowledge than the average person on the street about the batteries. Its always good to point out the dangers and cautionary tails for those who may not know that and start digging into things.

Like the guy who's trying to recover the Flooded Model-S which appears to have been dunked in salt water which has been discussed in the Model-S thread. He has no experience with any of that stuff and is digging into what could be a ticking time-bomb due to corrosion. Lets hope the battery pack is sealed well and no shorts occur. Its a total loss and only good for scrap and salvaged parts. Nice following the thread and seeing how things got toasted/corroded and such. But I'm sure Tesla is biting their nails hoping nothing bad happens with that car while being tinkered with.

Good luck on your project and thanks. Keep us posted on what you find and how things are going!

True about weeding out the bad/weak cells and recovering what's good. I'm sure Tesla does the same thing with their miracle machine. Yes, I know you have some more knowledge than the average person on the street about the batteries. Its always good to point out the dangers and cautionary tails for those who may not know that and start digging into things.

Like the guy who's trying to recover the Flooded Model-S which appears to have been dunked in salt water which has been discussed in the Model-S thread. He has no experience with any of that stuff and is digging into what could be a ticking time-bomb due to corrosion. Lets hope the battery pack is sealed well and no shorts occur. Its a total loss and only good for scrap and salvaged parts. Nice following the thread and seeing how things got toasted/corroded and such. But I'm sure Tesla is biting their nails hoping nothing bad happens with that car while being tinkered with.

Good luck on your project and thanks. Keep us posted on what you find and how things are going!

I know what you mean! Thanks for the encouragement! And thank you for being safety conscious, it's definitely a good thing!

OK, this is probably off topic, and I have been very supportive of ElectricLove up until now. So, please tell me that ElectricLove is not Gruber Power Services.

If so, perhaps ElectricLove can explain why have I overnight received four separate copies of a spam eMail from Gruber Power Services?

OK, this is probably off topic, and I have been very supportive of ElectricLove up until now. So, please tell me that ElectricLove is not Gruber Power Services.

If so, perhaps ElectricLove can explain why have I overnight received four separate copies of a spam eMail from Gruber Power Services?

That's interesting. I hate spam. Gruber does have a Tesla section so its looking as if you may be right:

Tesla Electric Vehicles (EV)

That's interesting. I hate spam. Gruber does have a Tesla section so its looking as if you may be right:

Tesla Electric Vehicles (EV)

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that ElectricLove and Gruber Power are the same. Apologies if I'm wrong.

Screen Shot 2016-01-28 at 5.43.38 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-01-28 at 5.47.39 PM.png

If they are, so what?

The "what" I believe is that people like Mark and myself do not like to receive unwanted spam. I'm assuming things, but I'm sure Mark is like how the heck did they get my email.... What I think he's possibly thinking is from here or from OVMS, etc. Mark can add if he wants to clarify.

So if that's so, please do not add me as well as others to any mailing list unless I subscribe myself. I personally do not give my business or any of my hard earned money to establishments that use that tactic.

ElectricLove is very open for people who voice their concerns it appears from the past and responds to them rationally rather than emotionally it seems. So I'm sure he'll add his side or at minimum take peoples suggestions and pass them along to his boss.

I have not received any spam/emails from Gruber Power nor would I like any in the future. Mark's time is more valuable helping us free of charge (thank-you) with our OVMS technical issues rather than clicking and deleting unwanted spam as well as to possibly having to setup new email accounts if his older address was sold at wholesale prices.

Last edited:

Unfortunately, you guys are correct, this is spam from us... It was put out against my judgement and I warned it wouldn't go over well, but it was out of my control... I am not the owner of this company, I am an employee, and the owner believes in this sort of "guerilla marketing", I do not!

I, personally, would like to formally apologize to anyone on this forum who got one of those emails and hope it doesn't paint a poor image of us and what we can do!

I also received the spam (but I was expecting it), it went straight to my spam folder though so the only reason I saw it was that I was looking for it.

- - - Updated - - -

The "what" I believe is that people like Mark and myself do not like to receive unwanted spam. I'm assuming things, but I'm sure Mark is like how the heck did they get my email.... What I think he's possibly thinking is from here or from OVMS, etc. Mark can add if he wants to clarify.

So if that's so, please do not add me as well as others to any mailing list unless I subscribe myself. I personally do not give my business or any of my hard earned money to establishments that use that tactic.

ElectricLove is very open for people who voice their concerns it appears from the past and responds to them rationally rather than emotionally it seems. So I'm sure he'll add his side or at minimum take peoples suggestions and pass them along to his boss.

I have not received any spam/emails from Gruber Power nor would I like any in the future. Mark's time is more valuable helping us free of charge (thank-you) with our OVMS technical issues rather than clicking and deleting unwanted spam as well as to possibly having to setup new email accounts if his older address was sold at wholesale prices.

In response to the "sold at wholesale prices"; I would like to tell you guys that your email addresses were NOT purchased and I will do everything and anything in my power to ensure they are never sold (I have this commitment firmed up from the owner of the company too), I suggest unsubscribing from the list by clicking the link on bottom of the email.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, you guys are correct, this is spam from us... It was put out against my judgement and I warned it wouldn't go over well, but it was out of my control... I am not the owner of this company, I am an employee, and the owner believes in this sort of "guerilla marketing", I do not!

I, personally, would like to formally apologize to anyone on this forum who got one of those emails and hope it doesn't paint a poor image of us and what we can do!

I also received the spam (but I was expecting it), it went straight to my spam folder though so the only reason I saw it was that I was looking for it.

It's funny I've had direct email communication with 2 employees at Gruber (not spam) but haven't received any spam - I guess they didn't add my email to the marketing list. My experiences with this company have been positive.

It's funny I've had direct email communication with 2 employees at Gruber (not spam) but haven't received any spam - I guess they didn't add my email to the marketing list. My experiences with this company have been positive.

That's good to hear. We need companies like this and people to take the challenge pursuing and testing EV technology as well as supporting it. Henry has amazingly contributed and done his part individually and I highly admire that. Thank you.

Again I see ElectricLove as a pure EV enthusiast like most of us here. He's had multiple Roadsters, a Volt, he has shown he's committed to EVs for sure. He's connected with a business who has accessibility to technology and infrastructure that we as individuals don't. Electriclove gave his honest feedback and we should respect that. I also don't think its wrong that he comes here for information as long as he contributes. We all need and depend on each other to support and appreciate our Roadsters as well as to keep them on the road as icons to the EV revolution. And if they're recovering salvaged ones as well as learning and offering services or parts that we all could use and like at hopefully affordable prices, I'm all in.

Note we are all under criticism when we post. Its not a bad thing. I make human errors and mistakes. My intention is to help others and offer the most accurate information I can supply. So we have a checks and balances system here, that's a good thing as long as you don't become emotional. With Henry having a positive experience, I which also have not had spam but don't want it :), feel we have more of a benefit of supporting Electriclove.

So with that Electriclove can show his boss that people in the EV world are typically smarter than the rest, don't like spam, but if you do come out with something very intriguing and cost effective, you'll have people flock towards your business naturally and the advertising is word of mouth. That's the best positive advertising. Not spamming. How about Gruber become a sponsor on TMC as well as other EV boards? That's a great move for everyone and should be tax-deductable on you bosses end Electriclove. Can you float that one to your boss?

Last edited: