Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster Extended Warranty

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I successfully purchased the Roadster extended warranty for my 2008 1.5 Metallic Silver I am in love with this car on Monday! If you click on the section for Service Plans and then scroll down to Roadster you will see that they offer 1, 2 and 3 year extended warranties. The service center that you use locally is the one responsible for helping you purchase it. It is a new process that they are not familiar with so you have to ask them to get the information for you and then VOALLA! Btw they charge tax aside from the cost shown. I purchased the 3 year plan for 5K and they added the $440 in tax but I'm relieved as these cars are expensive to repair!

I successfully purchased the Roadster extended warranty for my 2008 1.5 Metallic Silver I am in love with this car on Monday! If you click on the section for Service Plans and then scroll down to Roadster you will see that they offer 1, 2 and 3 year extended warranties. The service center that you use locally is the one responsible for helping you purchase it. It is a new process that they are not familiar with so you have to ask them to get the information for you and then VOALLA! Btw they charge tax aside from the cost shown. I purchased the 3 year plan for 5K and they added the $440 in tax but I'm relieved as these cars are expensive to repair!

I spoke with Peter Welch with the Ownership Experience Team in California earlier this week. He originally pointed me to the website also, but when I told him that I have been trying to purchase the extended warranty for my Roadster for nearly a year now, he said he'd call me back.
A few days later (after speaking with his boss and the Tesla folks in Miami), he told me that the extended warranty is still not available in Florida!!??!! He assured me this being worked on and they expect to have it available in the September time-frame. At that time, even though my Roadster will have been a year out of the original warranty, I will be able to purchase the extended warranty. I asked if they will be prorating or extending the new warranty to the full three years, but he was unable/unwilling to comment on this yet (kinda makes sense to not discuss something that you really know nothing about yet.) Hope this helps someone :cool:

OK, I'm nearing the end of my 3 year original warranty. What's the current consensus on what to do if one plans on holding onto the car for a while?

Here's the page: http://www.teslamotors.com/service#/roadster-services-and-accessories

The 3 year Extended Service Agreement is 20 shares of TSLA, the 3 year Battery Extended Service Agreement is 30 shares of TSLA. Both have 36K mile limitations.

My battery has been just darling - no issues and fairly high CAC for its age/mileage. So, I'm thinking of rolling the dice on that. What have you-all done so far?

My car went out of warranty almost two years ago. During my last service before my warranty expired I had the service center give it a thorough once-over and there were no issues. I am disappointed that Tesla chose to not acknowledge the part that us Roadster owners have played in getting the company off the ground. I think they should have offered a reasonably priced sliding scale warranty/maintenance program. Something along the lines of $800 for year 4, $900 for year 5, $1000 for year 6, etc. The price would include your annual service and would extend the warranty for that year. You could choose to discontinue the plan at any time (if you decided to sell the car or no longer wanted coverage). This would have been a no-brainer for most people and would have probably made more money for Tesla. Instead, like most others on here I chose not to pay the excessively priced warranty rates.

My car went out of warranty almost two years ago. During my last service before my warranty expired I had the service center give it a thorough once-over and there were no issues. I am disappointed that Tesla chose to not acknowledge the part that us Roadster owners have played in getting the company off the ground. I think they should have offered a reasonably priced sliding scale warranty/maintenance program. Something along the lines of $800 for year 4, $900 for year 5, $1000 for year 6, etc. The price would include your annual service and would extend the warranty for that year. You could choose to discontinue the plan at any time (if you decided to sell the car or no longer wanted coverage). This would have been a no-brainer for most people and would have probably made more money for Tesla. Instead, like most others on here I chose not to pay the excessively priced warranty rates.

If you looked at just the Roadster battery/PEM survey, it looks like a significant number of people have had their PEMs/batteries replaced. So $5K for something that will most likely go wrong isn't too bad. Out of 146 respondents, 25 battery packs and 23 PEMs got swapped - so who knows how this will grow over time and what the real number is.

If you looked at just the Roadster battery/PEM survey, it looks like a significant number of people have had their PEMs/batteries replaced. So $5K for something that will most likely go wrong isn't too bad. Out of 146 respondents, 25 battery packs and 23 PEMs got swapped - so who knows how this will grow over time and what the real number is.

I agree. But most of those were 1.5's. I had them do a complete battery and PEM test specifically for that reason. Every sheet in the battery came back perfect with no errors. They also said the 2.0 PEM was less prone to failure. I also had them install the fan shielding to keep debris from getting stuck in the cooling fans (which had been replaced 3 times already). I understand that this is no guarantee that something will not fail, but my car is kept in optimal conditions (garaged, charged on clean 240v 70A juice, and not driven that much).

I asked a tech which option I should go with. His reply was 1.5 PEM's were built like tanks, over engineered. He'd go with the battery one. But since neither options are avail in WA, no decision necessary.

The 1.5's might have been built like tanks, but they had a very small internal fan that was susceptible to getting clogged with dirt and overheating in warm climates. The 2.0 and above went to a much larger fan underneath the car with better airflow. Heat is the killer of electronics.

The 1.5's might have been built like tanks, but they had a very small internal fan that was susceptible to getting clogged with dirt and overheating in warm climates. The 2.0 and above went to a much larger fan underneath the car with better airflow. Heat is the killer of electronics.

I heard that the 1.5 PEMs hold up better from Tesla and that the 2.0's overheated and had issues, hence why they had to go to the dual fan and dual blower setup.