TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Roadster History North America

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by TEG, May 26, 2012.

Tags:
  1. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Well, I just found some info on 4 mystery North America VINs that never showed up in Carfax:

China Supplier Products - Tradesparq
    Looks like maybe they had gone to Abu Dhabi, and recently made a trip back to USA for service?

- - - Updated - - -

Also, I think a couple of North American VINs ended up at Juwi corp in Germany.

2. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

#22 TEG, Jun 2, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2015
    Here is a list of VINs that should have existed (in the sequence), but for which I never found any info:

VP15 - Maybe never existed
    644 - Maybe in Switzerland?

If you know about any of those Roadsters, please let me know.
    Note, they would need to be VINs that start 5YJRE... The European SFZRE are a different sequence.

• Like x 1
  3. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

TEG, you probably have a more complete list at this point than Tesla does. :) Kudos.

• Like x 1
  4. PokerBroker

PokerBroker Member

Bravo!

• Like x 1
  5. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

#25 TEG, Jun 3, 2015
    Last edited: May 1, 2017
    Here is a little update to the production numbers chart:
    roadster-prod1.png

I removed some entries I wasn't sure about. They made sense in sequence, but I couldn't confirm their existence in Carfax, so took them off.
    Also, it looks like two right hand drive Roadsters were made in the North America sequence (assembled in Menlo Park) and VINned for Australia. I think one was a non-sport demo car for the Syndey sales office, and one went to a customer there. I gather additional roadsters headed towards Australia were then made in UK, and came from the European VIN pool.

In terms of the missing ones... (about a dozen), they could be explained by:
    Maybe they were shipped out of North America and so never got registered here.
    Maybe someone took delivery and never registered it. Track car? Museum car? Running on dealer plates?
    Maybe a goof where CarFax never got notified when they were registered.
    Maybe something weird with those VINs I didn't know about.
    Anyways, I will keep searching to (hopefully someday) confirm those missing VINs.

• Informative x 4
  6. PokerBroker

PokerBroker Member

This is awesome, I can use these production numbers for the 1.5 to earn "collector" plates in MN since they stipulate 20 yrs old OR less than 500 made :)

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 2
  7. Timothy

Timothy Driving on Sunshine

So of those roughly 1400 Roadsters sold in the US, any idea how many are still on the road and how many are owned by the original owner?

8. DaveD

DaveD EVs Kick Gas!

Tesla itself is likely the best/only source to answer that question.

FWIW, mine is still on the road, with original owner, 8+ yrs, 118K+ miles later.

• Like x 4
    • Informative x 1
    • Love x 1
  9. bolosky

bolosky Member

We knew it would eventually happen: I've passed you, Dave. I hit 121K this morning, and I'll be at 8 years in August.

• Like x 4
  10. DaveD

DaveD EVs Kick Gas!

Yeah, we knew it would happen eventually ... doesn't mean that I "hate" you any less, though! :)
    Congrats, Mr. Bolosky!

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 1
  11. CM_007

CM_007 Member

I still have photos of vomit in a certain red roadster.

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 1
  12. hcsharp

hcsharp Active Member

Thank you for sharing that. :(

13. CM_007

CM_007 Member

Its a good story actually. Acceleration described as so good the kid lost his lunch.

• Funny x 2
  14. DrivingTheFuture

Were any roadsters able to be modified to add power steering?

15. hcsharp

hcsharp Active Member

Any Roadster could be modified to add power steering if you tried hard enough. A better question is why would you want to? While it might be a little cumbersome at slow speeds, the lack of power steering makes the Roadster quicker, more responsive and gives the driver a better feel of the road.

The front end of a Roadster is very light so it doesn't need power steering as much as a lot of other cars.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  16. Timothy

Timothy Driving on Sunshine

Agreed. I love the feeling of the road. My 1992 Alfa Romeo Spider is fun to drive but it has power steering. My 1971 Alfa Romeo Giulia Super had manual steering. And like the Roadster, is much more fun to drive for me.

• Informative x 1
  17. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

I heard that they experimented with power steering including building some prototypes but decided against it.

18. ion_1

ion_1 Member

I always wondered how so many roadster sports could be available for sale. It clearly makes sense when you look at your production numbers and realize that more sports were produced than base models in 2010 and 2011.

TEG you could develop a great business supplying a "TEG report" similar to the "Marti Report" of the Shelby/Fords (except yours would have historic pictures which can catch modifications!). The Marti report has been incredibly beneficial to those in that community checking the validity of shelby/rare mustangs pre-purchase. Thanks for all you do!

• Like x 2
  19. S-2000 Roadster

The timeline includes Roadster "mules" but what about the "bucks?"

The aerodynamic test "buck"

I'm particularly interested in knowing which year a Roadster buck appeared at Burning Man, as well as when that buck was made (if not the same year).

• Love x 1
  20. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

#40 TEG, Sep 11, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
    • Informative x 1