Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster HP and Torque numbers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder why it is that they list the 185kw motor at 200 lbft torque, yet when I floor my 1.5 with the display in "peak" mode, I see 281 lbft shown. Any idea how to reconcile this?

I think the motor was originally planned to be 200 lbft, with a 2 speed gearbox. When they couldn't get the gearbox(es) to hold together, they redid the motor/PEM for more torque with only one gear ratio. I think some of the articles continue to quote the original "1.0" torque figure.

• Informative
Reactions: markwj and dhrivnak
TEG, it's all suddenly making sense! From long before I bought my 1.5, I've wondered how these original Roadsters could possibly accelerate the way they do. 200 lb-ft of torque with its gearing was just not enough. My converted electric 914 has 165hp and almost 200 lb-ft of torque and my 2nd gear hits 60 at 7000 rpm, making the gearing nearly identical to the 1.5. (note, my redline is only 7200). Yet my acceleration off the line in 2nd gear feels noticeably less than my 1.5, whereas when I start out in 1st gear the feel from 0-20mph feels similar to my 1.5 (but not as fast thereafter). I was aware of the original plan to have a 2 speed Roadster and knew that they blocked off 1st gear in some early units with the acceleration suffering, but didn't know how they solved the issue. Now it makes sense. If you're curious, my 914 was used in an evshow.com episode: March 2015 Show

Thanks. Your 914 looks really clean. I got a ride from one of those EV West guys in the electric 308 when they brought it up here for Refuel races.

Do you think you will keep the Roadster and the 914 indefinitely? They almost seem a bit redundant.

Thanks. Your 914 looks really clean. I got a ride from one of those EV West guys in the electric 308 when they brought it up here for Refuel races.

Do you think you will keep the Roadster and the 914 indefinitely? They almost seem a bit redundant.
Glad you met the EV West guys. They are good people and quite skilled. Did you race in the Refuel event? I "raced" my 914 there 3 events ago before it was fully finished in its conversion to AC motors. My times were poor mainly because it was my first track event (read lame driver), but also because the car was essentially stuck in 3rd gear and my tires were low rolling resistance types. Big fun, though. I went a couple events ago just to watch but missed the latest one that you apparently went to.

No, sadly my 914 is going up for sale soon. I don't have the space to keep it, plus it's too much $ in cars for my comfort to have both. I got the roadster partly because my wife enjoys driving it whereas for some reason she is uncomfortable driving the 914. Plus it has AC and other creature comforts. My 914 is significantly easier to get in and out of, but actually the Roadster process humors me. Also, the 914 showed my 2 kids how windows worked with hand cranks.