Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster Lifecycle....Change History

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, I've been following most threads about the roadster and am eagerly still looking for the roadster with the color and configuration that I would like to purchase, but have a few questions that I haven't really seen answered or addressed. Was wondering if the community has aggregated a detailed history of all the changes that have occurred to the roadster over the life of the production cycle, including running changes (say changes that occurred during a single series run, ie during the 2.0 series life cycle) and also obviously changes that occurred as part of a series change (i.e. 1.5 ==> 2.0 == > 2.5). Has anyone put together a comprehensive life cycle timeline with specific changes to include known serial number breaks with these changes. For instance, what is the difference in the BOM of a first series 2.0 car (around 500 s/ n break I believe) and a late model 2.0 just before the series 2.5 vehicles were starting to be built? Some changes were obviously marketed by Tesla, these should be easy to document, however, what other running changes occurred that might impact a buyers decision to purchase an earlier (or later) serial numbered car?

Has anyone put together a comprehensive life cycle timeline with specific changes to include known serial number breaks with these changes.
Keep in mind that cars are not built in strict VIN order. And the Roadster was a very low volume, largely hand built car being produced by a company that had never built a car before, so there were lots of peculiarities and frequent changes that an established high-volume car company would not do.

@TEG 's thread is a very impressive document. Seems to me it should be a pinned thread.

Reactions: dhrivnak
Keep in mind that cars are not built in strict VIN order. And the Roadster was a very low volume, largely hand built car being produced by a company that had never built a car before, so there were lots of peculiarities and frequent changes that an established high-volume car company would not do.

@TEG 's thread is a very impressive document. Seems to me it should be a pinned thread.

Not sure if you've read what can arguably be considered the Wikipedia of Roadster threads, but check out TEG's dissertation: Roadster History North America for an illustrated jaunt down memory lane. Special thx to @DeedWest for bringing that thread to my attention in the first place.

Thanks That is an impressive document, can't believe I had missed that thread!

@MileHighMotoring, yeah, so looking for in priority order, 2.5 or 2.0, fusion red or very orange, sport.....not sure I will ever convince the wife on the very orange however, so fusion red realistically would be what I'm going to get. Yes, I know there is at least one out there for sale now, but price is also a big issue, and paying way above market price isn't something I'm willing to do right now. We had a 2010 2.0 orange sport at a local Raleigh dealership last month, price was good, about $56k, sold in a couple of days, just couldn't get my wife to give me the thumbs up on that one, didn't really have enough time to convince her, or for her to see in person! Seeing is believing with the roadster, pictures do not do it justice.

Reactions: DeedWest
The number of available roadsters is small enough that you may want to "jump" once you see one with the options you want. Chances are you may not find another like it.

By the way... Fusion red Sport... Here is one:

#1208:
P1208-5YJRE1A34B1001208-b.JPG

P1208-5YJRE1A34B1001208-g.JPG

Also, I made my "history" thread "sticky" based on the suggestion here.

Last edited:
Reactions: dhrivnak
Besides the history of the cars when built, each has very likely been modified / updated in some way by their owner(s). So, each car is going to be considerably more unique than its pedigree would indicate. My own 2.0 #834 has some of the 2.5 cosmetic pieces in front and rear which were added by the prior owner, updated headlights, and a few other tweaks that I would never have known to look for.

I'd recommend you jump on anything that looks close (color, model, price), and get as much information about the car as you can. Recognize you will never find the perfect car, but also that future updates are not impossible either. I was pleasantly surprised at some of the bits I never would have thought to ask about, and a bit frustrated as some of the car's personality faults became apparent, yet in hindsight I don't think I would have come out any happier if I had waited for a "better" car to come along. And, had I waited, I would have missed out on owning and driving the car for that much longer.

@Rotarypower I'd be happy to talk to your wife to answer her questions as a woman with 3 months of experience driving a 2010 2.0 Sport about 50 miles every weekday. PM me for contact info.

Awesome! I'll let you know. I have convinced her that BEV is the future, and she is now agreeing with me on that.

@TEG ...stunning example of a roadster, now those are some great photos. Thanks for making my mouth water!

Reactions: ViviV
Some pics

Folks who wrapped the car are in San Jose; car has their logo tag on it in the second photo.

For me this was a good alternative to painting because I was pretty sure black was too hot in the summer and I've been partial to red also. Another owner on this site had nearly his whole car painted after an accident and the cost for paint vs wrapping is significant. Paint will last longer though, and I may consider it in a couple years but I saw a really neat blue the other day which means I could end up being very fickle on my color choices.

KarToyZ

Wow that looks awesome! Have been debating, if I can't find my perfect car color and config....what are the trade offs of getting a less desirable color choice and either painting or wrapping. One question I have not been able to answer....are all the body colored panels removable on the car, or is the chassis/frame body colored and would have to have the interior pulled apart to be painted? I am somewhat OCD/perfectionist, and not sure a complete color change could be done to factory paint specs? Of course, another issue there is what a color change does to the future value of the car as a possible collectible. Same issue with the wraps.....are they able to get clean looking film into all the door jams and interior ingress areas to where it doesn't look bad....can you tell? Always wondered, how far do they go to wrap the inside of panels, i.e. Hood, hatch, door jams, lower frame? Ultimately, my thoughts are to wait for that perfect car, my gut tells me when model 3 rolls out, my options will go up, and prices down.....

In my case, the paint on my car was not perfect anyway - nearly 78k miles of actual daily use - like I intended and do myself. Plus black was not my favorite for the reasons of just-to-hot here.

The wrap comes off easy enough, with some time. I also elected to not do the entire inside of the doors themselves as the black actually worked for me there though that is personal. Based on what I saw when the bumpers etc were off, many parts may be removable but that is part of what pushes the price up in a full repaint.

Depending on how my relationship with this car proceeds :) there may be an eventual repaint. I'm not worried about the resell issues there though some may be and that is a consideration where wrapping protects the originality of the car for those that require that aspect.

Finally for me, what I wanted to pay for the car and the available colors, there really was no other choice - wrap or pay for paint. You can tell I chose the wrap :)

Wow that looks awesome! Have been debating, if I can't find my perfect car color and config....what are the trade offs of getting a less desirable color choice and either painting or wrapping. One question I have not been able to answer....are all the body colored panels removable on the car, or is the chassis/frame body colored and would have to have the interior pulled apart to be painted? I am somewhat OCD/perfectionist, and not sure a complete color change could be done to factory paint specs? Of course, another issue there is what a color change does to the future value of the car as a possible collectible. Same issue with the wraps.....are they able to get clean looking film into all the door jams and interior ingress areas to where it doesn't look bad....can you tell? Always wondered, how far do they go to wrap the inside of panels, i.e. Hood, hatch, door jams, lower frame? Ultimately, my thoughts are to wait for that perfect car, my gut tells me when model 3 rolls out, my options will go up, and prices down.....
When my rear quarter panel was replaced, the shop had Tesla pull the battery out so they could get to it. So, I don't think it's just the interior that would have to be pulled apart. Strangely enough, only the outward-facing side of the hood is painted.

Also of note, "rear quarter panel" is a bit of a misnomer. That single body panel extends ahead of the door.