Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster Squeaks & Rattles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

JohnGarziglia

Supporting Member
Oct 22, 2011
Reston, Virginia
For some reason that I guess I can understand and maybe even appreciate, my wife thought this cartoon in the newspaper this morning was hilarious:
Squeak-John McPherson.jpg

So it's not just me? I thought the roof was damaged or falling apart or something!

Nope. The creaks are most pronounced when the frame of the car has a twisting force applied to it, as when entering/exiting a driveway at an angle. I has retightened the top Allen screws multiple times. Still creaks.

I don't care. The car is awesome.

Last edited:
With winter hear I put the hard top back on and it had very annoying squeaks. The squeaks were coming from the front so I tried adding adhesive felt under the front part of the headliner. While I am not sure this is what I have it is similar. Amazon.com: 24 Crafts Counter Tops Displays Furniture 1001 Uses! Below are two shots, before and after the felt. And NO squeaks. Just don't tighten up the Allen screws too tight, just snug.

20151201_205231[1].jpg

20151205_202133[1].jpg

Great idea and happy it fixed the sqreaks!

This winter a creak has developed towards the middle of my dash when its cold. If I push lightly on the top dash panel, right behind windshield, it goes away. Whenever I get time I may relax the tension on the dash screws to see if it goes away, if not its got to be pulled out, addressed, and put back in.

Below is a shot of the foam I added to the hard top on the rear to reduce creaks/squeaks. There may be better options but I am not on my third year with this with no changes.
View attachment 104397

Why did you put the foam on lengthwise (vertically in the photo)?
Wouldn't it be better (for insulation purposes) to have the foam on perpendicular to the length of the car?
As an interim solution, I tried putting some felt furniture pads (admittedly less compressible) between the roof and the roll bar and I noticed that it now lets in more noise from outside.

If I recall several (3) of the strips were there when I received the roof. I assume they put on by the factory. I added two more and the felt and I think it is the felt that did the trick. There is no outside noise from the roof that I can tell. The foam is highly compressible.