Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster Upgrades Page on Tesla Website

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Skid Guards: Cure for the Front End Driveway Rash!
3/8" ABS plastic. Elie said: "This provides the perfect balance of flexibility that is needed when you are scrapping and rigidity to protect the bumper from cracking."
"when you are scrapping"? I hope I never have to scrap my Roadster!
Then again, I am frequently scraping my bumper.

:wink:

I ended adding 4 Dynamat kits to the Roadster sound kit. The majority of the Tesla material looked and applied very similar but Dynamat is a little thicker. The Roadster kit also had some fiber mats (reminded me of a comforter) that went behind the doors and seats.

here is a picture of what they call the "diaper" behand the seats (same type as in the doors)

attachment.php?attachmentid=3857&d=1326442118%20.jpg

here are some images of the liner that goes in the wheelwells:

attachment.php?attachmentid=3858&d=1326442194.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=3859&d=1326442227.jpg

and finally, some shots of the dynamat as applied to an early "engineering" 2.5:

attachment.php?attachmentid=3860&d=1326442466.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=3861&d=1326442470.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=3862&d=1326442499.jpg

CIMG0022.jpg
CIMG0026.jpg
CIMG0025.jpg
CIMG0023.jpg
CIMG0028.jpg
CIMG0024.jpg

adjustable suspension is $6000+tax (currently on backorder for 1-2 months in menlo park)

the adjustable suspension parts finally came in to menlo park this month. i got my car back today and i have to say that the adjustable suspension (with the dampers on the softest setting + the previously installed sound deadening kit + stock tires in lower pressure "comfort" setting) gives the roadster a notably smoother/quieter ride on bumpy city streets. the experience is just different. i am pleased.

thus far i am more mixed on the hard top given its apparent propensity to contribute squeaks and groans even with multiple service adjustments. i'll be curious to compare (with a switch) to the soft top at some point after the (intermittent) san francisco rainy season is over.

Last edited:
Got my Roadster back today. While they were doing the annual service I got the hard-top fitted and had the vents upgraded, sills, waterfalls and instrument binacles in CF. Tesla (Dania Beach) did a nice job:

hardtop.jpg

vents.jpg

sills.jpg

waterfall 2.jpg

waterfall.jpg

Fell in love with my car all over again....:biggrin:

I guess I had never seen Ian's note on the skid-guards for the 2.5 front end, so pardon the one-year delay in responding, but yes, Elie did install skid guards on my 2.5 front end. I can happily also relay that I have taken a few scrapes on the front and I haven't touched my 2.5 front bumper, but instead only scraped the skid-guards.

As to the question of upgrades that would engage the Roadster-owner's soul, I second (or third, or fourth...) the proposal for a battery pack/PEM/drive upgrade. I have gotten all the CF and appearance-related upgrades I desire. That said, the company's focus now appears to be Model S/X, and I don't blame them for that. They are in my opinion doing a good job of executing on that which is mission critical. Indulging their early adopters would be nice, but not really in shareholders' best interest. Even once they are able to pull some resources away from Model S/X, I expect those to be assigned to Gen III.

If it were easy to develop a better battery pack for the Roadster, then sure, do it. I'd love it. But you know it would cost an arm and a leg and the other arm and the other leg. You'd be the black knight, driving the Roadster - "Come back here! I'll bite your knees off!"

So will it happen? I'm certainly not qualified to opine on that. Certainly there is a germ of an idea there, given that they have found a way to develop a seemingly superior battery pack and PEM combo for the Model S. But is that able to be implemented in a retro-fit for the Roadster, which is much smaller and can't really use a skateboard? Maybe others more knowledgeable can shed some insight.

All that said, I've seen at least one person (PRJIM) who seems to think that Roadster almost all owners are bailing on their Roadsters to get a Model S. And happily, I have seen others chime in and say that is a load of crap. Well add me to that crew, because even without upgrades I love my Roadster, and I have zero interest in getting rid of it for a Model S. The cars are SO different, and I am just not a candidate for a car that large. Can't see out of it, can't park it in public or in many garages, and it is nowhere near as nimble as the Roadster. So if upgrades come along, great. If not, that's fine too. I admit concern about going out of warranty, but I am currently willing to go there (self-insure) as there is no other car for which I would want to trade in my Roadster. Not even close.

Maybe if I win the lottery and the "production" version of the Concept One isn't quite the size of the Model S/Panamera/Karma/7-Series/Land Rover... Now THAT would engage my soul!

Yes, I second ipdamages' thoughts. I will not bail on my Roadster for a Model S—although my wife has a Model S already. Nonetheless, having heard Tesla (via their reps) say that they intend to take care of the Roadster owners who got the company through the early tough years by continuing some level of development for the Roadster, I have to believe they will try to come through. I have had Tesla reps tell me (before the Model S was out), that they already knew Roadster owners wanted some sort of retrofit to try to get supercharging in a Roadster. They could not confirm anything in particular but acknowledged that it was at least being looked at. Being able to take long Roadtrips in my Roadster is a big deal, and I would love that potential. I have wondered: If I can afford the new so-called Model R that will arrive one day, would I pony up? Well, perhaps I would just for that feature—but I doubt I will be able to given the shelling out for the Roadster and Model S we now have—so I sure hope Tesla's Skunk Works is trying to figure out how to get us a long range battery/super charging. It will be pricey, but cheaper than a Model R!

I can't help but wonder if one reason they haven't installed any HPCs at the supercharger sites is because they are planning an upgrade for the Roadster to be able to supercharge.

- - - Updated - - -

@ViperDoc, how soon will it be 20 years that you've had your Viper on the road? :smile:

It adds about 3/16"-1/4", so I don't think it adds much to the scrape quantity, but I admit that I had the same concern.

If you scrape all the time, FD, do you perceive risk of or have you seen front end damage? If not, perhaps there is already some hearty scrape/skid guard in the front bumper.

Last edited: