TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Roadster volume control

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by stenkb, Jul 15, 2010.

1. stenkb

stenkb Roadster 938 Model S 5957

Has anyone else had problems with the volume on the stereo unit

At first I thought there must be a volume adjustment happening for different car speeds - because the loudness and quietness of my stereo changes all the time on its own and I can`t figure out why - even while on cruise at highway speed it keeps changing... so its not adjusting to speed.

Quite annoying I must say.....

Hope somebody has this figured out already...... Thanks in advance.

2. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Do you have the standard radio or the upgraded one?

3. stenkb

stenkb Roadster 938 Model S 5957

#3 stenkb, Jul 15, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2010
    upgraded stereo..... at first I thought maybe I had some bad mp3's in my ipod - but it does it when listening to satellite radio as well.....kinda odd

I couldn't find anywhere to turn off speed-volume control in the menu - have you ever seen that anywhere?

4. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

#4 Doug_G, Jul 15, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2010
    Make sure you don't have a GPS route running; it lowers the audio level when it wants to announce turns (adjustable under Nav / Setup / Guidance options).

There are some reverse/speed signal wires, which need to be "calibrated" in the unit setup. But I don't immediately see an indication that the radio volume level adjusts automatically. As far as I can tell it only adjusts the GPS guidance volume automatically!

I downloaded the PDF version of the radio manual; makes it easier to search. It is available at:

http://resources.jvc.com/Resources/00/00/91/LVT1627-001A.pdf

5. SByer

SByer '08 #383

No, the JVC doesn't adjust music volume based on anything - it's annoying, I'm constantly fiddling with the volume between the freeway and city streets (especially when the navigation side of things has a speed-based volume adjust!). I haven't noticed any strange volume happenings. Note that if you've got MP3s at different levels, but had iTunes 'sound check' them into level, the JVC does not pay attention to that - it's just a piece of metadata held in the IDv2.x tags.

(I've been intended to re-rip my collection using Media Monkey into FLAC w/ volume leveling at the rip point and get away from using the nasty iTunes as the center of my collection - tired of constantly having to re-fix messed up metadata).

6. S-2000 Roadster

Is there any new information on this unwanted volume change problem?

7. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

I have the JVC unit in my 1.5 and do not have the issue. Like others have said make sure navigation is turned off as it will mess with the volume.

8. jory

jory Member

2.0 w/JVC - no issue

9. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Ditto. Mind you the JVC really sucks. The GPS function can be confidently relied upon to not work properly.

10. djp

djp Roadster 2.0 VIN939

Talk to Tesla Service - this is a known issue with some of the JVC amps. It sounds like you've got one of the bad ones.

I wish the JVC had speed-volume fade. The constant fiddling bugs me too.

11. Botbldr45

Botbldr45 Member

Alpine unit on 2.5 is just as bad..... Volume increase for about 20 sec then fade back to normal for no good reason. Generally happens when volume is high like when top is down. Not so much at lower volume.

12. hcsharp

hcsharp Active Member

I thought I was the only person having this problem. For a while I thought it was just me - a possibility because I'm hearing impaired but I've had passengers notice it too. Botbldr45 described it perfectly. It's usually when I'm listening to satellite radio at higher volumes, happens for 15 - 20 sec then fades back down. I have a 2.5 with the Alpine unit.

My Alpine unit also crashes often on start-up. The only solution is to power it down and turn it on again.

13. W.Petefish

W.Petefish Active Member

It is the amp. Even after changing my head unit to a Pioneer, it still does that. Might contact someone at service sometime if it -really- starts to bug me.

14. Nvbob

Nvbob Roadster 1256

We had the same issue until the head unit was replaced & firmware upgraded at our last service. Now it only does it occasionally.

15. hcsharp

hcsharp Active Member

Interesting. Who supplied the amp? Tesla or Alpine?

16. JohnGarziglia

#16 JohnGarziglia, Aug 29, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2012
    Its gotta be the amp. I changed out the Alpine head unit to a Kenwood DNX-6990HD (so much better than the Alpine!). I still have the occasional substantial volume increase. Happens with the top down (sure that has nothing to do with it) but at a high volume from the head unit either with satellite radio or a USB source.

I suspect it is a change in voltage to the amp. My theory is that the amp is drawing power from the auxiliary 12 volt battery, that 12 volt battery discharges to a lower level due to the high volume level being asked of it by the amp, and the main battery pack kicks in with a periodic higher voltage to charge back up the 12 volt battery. This higher voltage has the effect of a corresponding pumping up of the volume through the amp. That's my theory.

Is the volume increase annoying? Yes. Is it easily remedied? Yes, particularly with my replacement Kenwood which has a volume knob that can be quickly and easily adjusted, so it does not bother me too much anymore. If my theory is correct, the fix might be some kind of voltage control circuit on the amp power supply wire.

17. W.Petefish

W.Petefish Active Member

I believe it is an Alpine Amp... I could be wrong though. I took a measure this afternoon and found a 4-10db jump. I might explore an option for correcting this... I'll contact one of the rangers and ask his opinion.

Yes and no. A linear Vreg won't have the power handeling ability for 15A. (at least most won't) You'd need something more along the lines of a DC-DC converter. I'd still be interested in scoping the power line signal or using a data logger in the power circuit. BTW I replaced the Alpine HU with a Pioneer Z130BT a little over a year ago. (and I gotta say, I love the thing.)

18. Jaff

Jaff Active Member

I had mine replaced as well (spring 2012) ...works fine now...no issue at all :smile: