Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster's Future

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lighter car means stronger regen.

Good point, Eric. I hadn't thought of that.

I was just thinking tonight about how the Roadster encourages me to be a better "stopper" because of its regen, combined with the joy of accelerating in it. I am more of a California stopper in an ICE since starting from a complete stop is no fun.

As regards the previous comment on the unfortunate transformer repair, I concur that Tesla is going to stock fewer parts to repair cars, but I don't really see that as a lack of support. I mean, I think there is a balance on how many repair and replacement parts they should be expected to stock. It isn't as if they are refusing to fix it - just that it will take longer because they don't stock the part. It seems that that is an inevitable and suboptimal part of owning a collector's car.

Parts definitely seem to be a problem. Happy to have my Roadster back today after a 5 week repair job, most of that time being waiting on parts. On the other hand, got my first experience with the loaner program, so I actually was given two different loaner Roadster to get me through my hardship. As a new Roadster owner, it was great to get to spend some quality time in not just one, but two different vehicles to establish a good baseline for how my feels, "is that noise normal?", etc.

Not sure there is any answer that makes direct financial sense, but I strongly feel that Tesla really, really, really needs to take care of the Roadster owners. Not because I am one now, but for the original crew who took the risks back then so that we have a company there now. One of the things that was key to me during my 13 month wait for our Model S (which was costing about triple the previously most expensive car I had bought), was reading how well taken care of the Roadster owner seemed to feel, and the fact that so many seemed to be on the Model S waiting list too. So I think it's critical that these earliest of adopters are taken care of and there is not a left behind bad taste in their mouths. There are thousands and thousands of future potential sales that will look at the this as I did. Tesla can't have people worried that they and their S or X will be abandoned once Tesla's attention is consumed by producing hundreds of thousands of different technology Gen III's. Each future car generation will be reliant on the goodwill of the previous generation.

So once again, thanks to all the original Roadster owners, I hope that when all is said and done, you'll feel 100% that Tesla stuck with you and did you right.

P.s. Is that car a blast or what? I'm really jealous that you've been enjoying this for years.

Parts definitely seem to be a problem. Happy to have my Roadster back today after a 5 week repair job, most of that time being waiting on parts.

Switchpack? Just curious - please PM me. At six cars away on the vin i figure we should compare notes - thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

As regards the previous comment on the unfortunate transformer repair, I concur that Tesla is going to stock fewer parts to repair cars, but I don't really see that as a lack of support. I mean, I think there is a balance on how many repair and replacement parts they should be expected to stock. It isn't as if they are refusing to fix it - just that it will take longer because they don't stock the part. It seems that that is an inevitable and suboptimal part of owning a collector's car.

Seems right - definitely supported, but delays for parts. Hopefully there is good attention to sourcing new parts as old ones are discontinued.

Would a lighter pack mess up the driving characteristics (would they need to make the pack a similar weight giving it a higher kWh)?
The 60 and 85 S models are about 180lbs apart, I think 200lbs difference is within allowable specs to avoid separate crash testing, so applying the same logic to the Roadster they may be able to offer a 200lb lighter pack without issues.

Parts definitely seem to be a problem. Happy to have my Roadster back today after a 5 week repair job, most of that time being waiting on parts.

It's not just the Roadster. My wife crashed her Model S, damaging the bumper, fender and headlight. The shop told us to expect 3-6 MONTHS because Tesla won't supply parts. I guess all of their production capacity goes to new cars. It would be faster just to order a new car and then sell the old one once it's been repaired.

- - - Updated - - -

Lighter car means stronger regen.

Maybe. Lighter car means more deceleration for the same regen power, but I don't think that power is the limit on regen (unless the battery is nearly full). If I recall correctly, long ago Tesla said that the problem with stronger regen was that because it came only from the drive (rear) wheels that having too much braking force only in the rear messed with the driving dynamics too much. If that's the case, then a lighter car will only affect regen after a range mode charge when the battery's nearly full and so power limiting.