Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadtrip Niagara & Telsa Lifestyle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Joe,

Thanks for sharing this story -- all of it!

I'm actually stunned that you managed to hustle fast enough to get a replacement tire late in the day Sunday. Wow!

The tire part of your story also made me appreciate my own good fortune with tires across the past three years. Running staggered 21" Michelin PS/2s in the summer and Nokiian Hakkas in the winter, I could easily imagine trotting from store to store as you did, trying to find something that would match!

Great trip! I salute you!

Best regards,
Alan

I have had several flats in my model S, so I purchased a 19" rim and tire before our spring road trip. I do not have tools, but AAA can help change a tire and I do not have to worry about finding a replacement. Of course it helps that I have a RWD 85 with a big frunk which can fit the spare slightly deflated.

Sorry about the road hazard that cause delay.

For the last couple of decades since our Lexus cars all started using run flats, then Toyota Sienna limited (AWD), then BMWs M5 (E39) and M3s (convertibles), we got used to it and actually now prefer them for my wife and kids. The reason is after tire blows, the theory is we still can drive at 55Mph for 100 miles. This is key for moments like these, and also for family not have to stop on the side of the road especially in places that are not-so-safe.

So while having a Model X arriving soon, my wife is already complaining about not having run flats. So I will look to replace the tires after delivery. Unless you need extreme handling, run flats are great choice IMO for a piece of mind. Just buy the "certificates" (America's Tires) or road hazard replacement warranties equivalents as once damaged they are not repairable - at least current generation.

Joe,

Thanks for sharing this story -- all of it!

I'm actually stunned that you managed to hustle fast enough to get a replacement tire late in the day Sunday. Wow!

The tire part of your story also made me appreciate my own good fortune with tires across the past three years. Running staggered 21" Michelin PS/2s in the summer and Nokiian Hakkas in the winter, I could easily imagine trotting from store to store as you did, trying to find something that would match!

Thanks Alan.

I was sweating bullets there. The tow truck driver was the real hero, he hung in there with me, hoping from one to the next and making calls to find a shop, all while calls were coming in for another tow.

I even asked him if towing me to Niagara Canada was a possibility, and he was into the idea. Odd thing is, Telsa said if I could get over the border, they could deliver a tire to me from Toronto. That was my plan D. Unclear how customs would have worked out.

Without him, me and the family would have been eating Buffalo wings much longer than I would have liked.

That said... Go knock on wood now.

@cranker2k my previous car was a 535 msport, with low profile Runflats.

They felt like I was riding on bricks, and were unforgiving with potholes. You so much as looked at a pothole, and wham - tire compromised. Sure you could ride on them for a while, but they shouldn't have been so fragile.

Frankly I think the Goodyear runflats for my bimmer were a flawed design, and BMW put too much faith in that model far too soon. Another rare tire BTW.

Those tires were the only negative thing I have to say about my BMW ownership. It was otherwise a fantastic car.

My 90D is better though

I have had multiple BMWs with runflats. First gen was awful. My current (and soon-to-be-gone for my Tesla) BMW has the 19" Dunlop SportMaxx tires. I like the ride and they saved my butt a couple years ago. However, they are soft tires, Ultra High Performance. So they have higher rolling resistance, which is something that I'm just learning about, and lower tire wear ratings. My CPO car has the Michelin MXM package which is low rolling resistance and high tire wear rating. I'll see how things work out. I used to have issues when I lived in a neighborhood under construction, but my instance of flat tires in the last ten years has been one incident. I have the slime compressor which I'll throw in the Tesla for good measure.

@JoulesVerne, thanks so much for this story. I read this thread while sitting in a coffee shop in Erie, PA on our way to Niagara Falls from Las Vegas (via Vancouver, BC) and I had no idea there is a memorial to Nikola Tesla there. If not for your story I may have missed it.

Sorry to hear about the bad experiences but it sounds like your trip, overall, was worth it. And, I'll try to watch for road debris on the way. :(

image.jpeg
Unfortunately, on the U.S. side, this is all you see. The Tesla monument has moved to a new location.

You will be adding reviews to Chargerville... Right? :)

Not that I'm against Chargerville... but why wouldn't you just use Plugshare, which has been around "forever"? I just browsed Chargerville -- your post is the first I've heard of it -- and it isn't obvious to me what advantages Chargerville has over Plugshare. Why do you recommend Chargerville in particular?

Thanks,
Alan

Not that I'm against Chargerville... but why wouldn't you just use Plugshare, which has been around "forever"? I just browsed Chargerville -- your post is the first I've heard of it -- and it isn't obvious to me what advantages Chargerville has over Plugshare. Why do you recommend Chargerville in particular?
Very different purposes. Plugshare is focused on whether a charger works or not, nothing about the surrounding area. Chargerville is focused on what's nearby like where have other Tesla owners found are good places to hang out or eat while charging and how easy are they to get to.

Adds greatly to the enjoyment of the Tesla Lifestyle.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Takumi
I drove up from DC last night. Here is part of the memorial on the Canadian side of river

Btw Erie PA supercharger was acting weird last night and the amps were bouncing from 0 to 30 then stopping. Tried all 4 sets of pedestals. I did open a ticket. Drafted a semi to niagara and topped off. Also the Hilton has level 2 for free
image.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: kevinf311