Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rode in Ionic 6 Today

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took a friend car shopping today. He drove my MYLR to the Hyundai dealer to drive an Ionic 6. I rode along (didn't drive it). In general, it's a very nice car. Very quiet, nice ride in back seat. But very similar to the MYLR in driving dynamics.
Some general comments in favor of Ionic 6. HomeKit is standard. Cross traffic awareness, the side mirror lights up when car in in blind spot. Exterior build quality and styling are excellent although I think Hyundai and Kia add styling "features" that are totally unnecessary. Makes for a "busy" look. Not unique to their EV's. Feature set more resembles an ICE vehicle feature for feature.
Details favoring the Tesla. The interior is not plastic. The interior is simple, the Ionic 6 is very busy with buttons everywhere. The Tesla has some unique "funky" features that are useful and fun, like "dog" mode for example. In general, the Tesla is well thought out and not just a plethora of "features".
I think i would be happy with either. Both are mechanically solid. The rest is just the fluff of feature comparison and I prefer simple.

I test drove one about a month ago. Our local dealers are getting them in like 1 and 2 at a time and if you call and get on the list they're available to try out. I was fairly impressed. It's not as fast as my AWD M3 but for 99% of driving it's certainly fast enough and was about on par as far as quality of ride. I agree with the OP that it's basically a model 3 and the minor feature differences and details don't add up to much. I'll definitely be interested in getting one at some point but will wait for the NACS switchover which from what I understand is slated for Q4 2024. I don't need the supercharger network all that much, but when I do need it, I really do need it.

I test drove one about a month ago. Our local dealers are getting them in like 1 and 2 at a time and if you call and get on the list they're available to try out. I was fairly impressed. It's not as fast as my AWD M3 but for 99% of driving it's certainly fast enough and was about on par as far as quality of ride. I agree with the OP that it's basically a model 3 and the minor feature differences and details don't add up to much. I'll definitely be interested in getting one at some point but will wait for the NACS switchover which from what I understand is slated for Q4 2024. I don't need the supercharger network all that much, but when I do need it, I really do need it.
Just buy an adapter.

11.6 cu ft of cargo volume vs. 19.8 on the M3, with only 0.1 drag increase. Who da winner now?

The same story as Porsches and all teardrop cars, the trunk becomes a glorified
pizza box hauler. In the M3 i can fit two airline check in trunks no problemo.

Bro in EU has the Ioniq5 and swears by it,
took it across EU from HU to Catalonia and loved it, has more cargo room than his wife's MB midsize SUV.

EV6 GT range is horrible. Gets like 150 miles on a charge. What a joke. The people who buy that junk puzzle me.
Hmmm...
1698199928029.png

Reactions: henderrj
Would not buy anything other than a Tesla until they offer a dependable charging network on longer trips.

Other companies offerings often have advantages, but for me, the Supercharging network is essential.
I think that's a solid reason, but here very soon it will evaporate. NACS and the SC network, in my opinion, have allowed Tesla a lot of leeway with regard to the rest of the product in the public's eyes.

I think that's a solid reason, but here very soon it will evaporate. NACS and the SC network, in my opinion, have allowed Tesla a lot of leeway with regard to the rest of the product in the public's eyes.
HyunKia charging on 400V Superchargers isn't very good. Tesla has until 2024Q4 until any HyunKias have the port and 2025Q1 until others have the adapter so they have time to get V4 working with 800V.

Last edited:
Details favoring the Tesla. The interior is not plastic.
Can you explain this? Literally EVERYTHING inside a Tesla is plastic. Seats, carpeting, trim, etc.
Kjunk is notorious for overestimating range. Real world is 150mi
You are funny (and ill-informed). Tesla is the king of overestimating range. See this graph from Car and Driver:
range-reality-103-64c41f159c769.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: brkaus