Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rode in Ionic 6 Today

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It might be useful to note here that no matter how fast a car is capable of charging, it can't charge any faster than the high-speed DC charger will provide. Given DC fast chargers with non-Tesla plugs often don't offer a whole lot more than than 35kW, sometimes don't work at all, and sometimes have lines waiting for access, it may still be a longer wait than one would have at a Tesla SC with a NACS plug / socket - because those units are usually in operating condition at relatively high kW ratings. So, at this moment, the quality of the high-speed charging network a given car can use is probably more important than the speed at which any given car is capable of charging. Well, unless you own a Chevy Bolt with it's max 35kW charging speed.
I have literally never charged at 35kw on a road trip, lol Most chargers are 200-350kw. A 200kw charger will take me from 20-90 in about 20 minutes.

Higher voltage EVs like Hundyia and Lucid will be rewarded once Tesla completes a front and backend deployment of V4
For now v4+v3 backend and full v3 provide upto 250 kw

For now, high voltage EVs should seek out max 400 kw level 3 DC fast chargers

Electrify America has 350 kw although they are broken frequently

Reactions: Dracaris
Exactly! Sure, there are 350kW CCS chargers out there, but at any given moment how many of them are working, much less delivering up to 350kW? I've seen countless reviews from owners of CCS-based EVs complaining bitterly about their charging experience. I know from personal experience that the Tesla Supercharging experience is amazingly good. Thit was a significant reason for my recent decision to buy a 2023 MYLR instead of a 2023 Ioniq5, Ford Mach-E, etc. I'm simply calling out that at this point in time, if you're concerned about how fast you can charge any given car, the quality of the DC fast charging network is far more important than how fast any particular car is capable of charging. This will change dramatically when the other major brands in the US come with NACS sockets instead of CCS, and all the CCS cars out there get adapters so they can use both CCS and NACS chargers, but for the next couple of years this will be an issue to consider.

Exactly! Sure, there are 350kW CCS chargers out there, but at any given moment how many of them are working, much less delivering up to 350kW? I've seen countless reviews from owners of CCS-based EVs complaining bitterly about their charging experience. I know from personal experience that the Tesla Supercharging experience is amazingly good. Thit was a significant reason for my recent decision to buy a 2023 MYLR instead of a 2023 Ioniq5, Ford Mach-E, etc. I'm simply calling out that at this point in time, if you're concerned about how fast you can charge any given car, the quality of the DC fast charging network is far more important than how fast any particular car is capable of charging. This will change dramatically when the other major brands in the US come with NACS sockets instead of CCS, and all the CCS cars out there get adapters so they can use both CCS and NACS chargers, but for the next couple of years this will be an issue to consider.
My experience with 350kw chargers is that even derated, they push 130-150. My ev6 just flat curves that and still does about 20 minutes charge times. My volvo C40 would be 30-35min at full charger capability. Pretty significant. Ive only encountered one ccs charge station that didn't work for me. I dont road trip often though.

• Informative
Reactions: Dracaris
The 6 does look busy, but they did their homework. Its cD is 0.22, compared to the model 3 at 0.23. What looks busy, and what is busy in function, are not always the same.
Ah the old cD argument. You MIGHT be right, but the problem with cD is it's a measure of drag per unit of cross-sectional area. So to get the actual drag of the car (which is what counts when you are dealing with energy used to propel the car forward), you need to multiply the cD by the cross-section of the car. I've no idea how the M3 compares to the Ionia 6 in this regard, but if the Tesla has a cross-section that is 5% less, then its ahead of the Ioniq in terms of drag.

Reactions: gtae07
Ah the old cD argument. You MIGHT be right, but the problem with cD is it's a measure of drag per unit of cross-sectional area. So to get the actual drag of the car (which is what counts when you are dealing with energy used to propel the car forward), you need to multiply the cD by the cross-section of the car. I've no idea how the M3 compares to the Ionia 6 in this regard, but if the Tesla has a cross-section that is 5% less, then its ahead of the Ioniq in terms of drag.
Sounds like you do have an idea as per my back of the envelope calculations it is 5% less

Very true!