Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roof bars for Model Y - OEM or other?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, we are taking our first road trip to France from the UK and I am looking at getting roof bars.

A friend has a roof box he is going to lend us, so we dont have splash out on those.

My question is, are OEM roof bars the only real option or are there good (cheaper) 3rd party alternatives?

Upvote 0
I have the M3 OEM ones, not sure I would be happy with any of the other solutions. They are Whisperbars, but I don't think they ever made them available outside via Tesla?

Mount your roofbox backwards for strange looks but more efficiency!

Upvote 0
I’ve had the Sea Sucker Monkey Bars for around 18 month now and wouldn’t go back. Bought for the flexibility of using with other/future cars.. A little nerve wrecking at first but I’ve found it worth while once you learn to trust the product. Traveled Scotland Nc 500, lakes and Cornwall with them without issues.

Model 3 but don’t see what would be different with MY

Upvote 0
I’ve had the Sea Sucker Monkey Bars for around 18 month now and wouldn’t go back. Bought for the flexibility of using with other/future cars.. A little nerve wrecking at first but I’ve found it worth while once you learn to trust the product. Traveled Scotland Nc 500, lakes and Cornwall with them without issues.

Model 3 but don’t see what would be different with MY
Similarly we had a set of whisper bars with the plan they would work on many cars. 'foot' packs mostly avaliable for £40 per car, but despite being the manufacturer behind the Tesla ones, no foot pack for us ☹️. They have gone to else where in the family and we just got the OEM ones as it got to the stage we couldn't wait.

Tesla ones are solid tho.

Upvote 0
Hi all, we are taking our first road trip to France from the UK and I am looking at getting roof bars.

A friend has a roof box he is going to lend us, so we dont have splash out on those.

My question is, are OEM roof bars the only real option or are there good (cheaper) 3rd party alternatives?
At the moment OEM are the only real option, unless you want to go with an unbranded copy from an online seller/Aliexpress etc. The OEM bars are made by Yakima and in July this year there will be a set of Yakima bars & mounts available - presumably there was an exclusivity period where only Tesla could sell the bars. The Yakima kit is already listed with distributors (UK = roofbox.co.uk ) and available to pre-order, which I have done. There was also some chat on one of the Facebook groups that Thule were also coming out with a kit around the same time but I haven’t seen anything listed online or from Thule.

Upvote 0