Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roof Rack install with PPF use 3M stickers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Noflash

Aug 11, 2020
Denver
Listings
For those that have PPF and the Tesla Roof Rack, did you use the 3M stickers that go under the rack mounts to "protect the paint"? I saw a YouTuber did not use them as he stated his ppf was better.

Also, should this be considered a permanent install? Guessing we will only use it a couple times a year with the SkyBox 16 cargo box and/or ski rack.

Thanks, nf

It's always a bit of a dance deciding how to handle a roof rack with pre-installed PPF, right? The 3M stickers are a popular choice to cushion the contact between the rack and the paint, but if you've got some high-quality PPF, you might feel confident skipping them. It's a personal call based on how protective you want to be.

As for whether it's a permanent install, that really depends on your usage. If it's just a few times a year with the SkyBox 16 and ski rack, a semi-permanent setup might be the way to go—easy to take on and off as needed. If you're in the market for a roof rack that's designed to be easy on the paint and convenient for your occasional use, check out the Tesla Model Y roof rack from TESERY. It's got a good reputation for being user-friendly and not too hard on the car's exterior. Hope this helps.

There's not really a downside to using the stickers if planning to leave the rack on. Even if you plan to on and off I don't think they would scuff up so badly as to.be noticeable.

What they do accomplish is making it pretty darn difficult to miss with inserting the tongue hooks. Hard to break your roof when the hook is correctly in place.

Reactions: DBC-
There's not really a downside to using the stickers if planning to leave the rack on. Even if you plan to on and off I don't think they would scuff up so badly as to.be noticeable.

What they do accomplish is making it pretty darn difficult to miss with inserting the tongue hooks. Hard to break your roof when the hook is correctly in place.

Excellent point. Helpful for those late night installations after a long day.