Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roof Rack Installation Tips, Errors in Manual

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Installing the roof rack is scary because some have reported cracking the glass. I just installed mine, and here are some tips.

1. Watch the videos of installation on YouTube.

2. Use a headlamp so you can see the little arrows, etc:

20200724_114747.jpg

3. Step 8 of the manual states: "Pull up and wiggle to be sure it’s properly engaged." But it doesn't tell you how to interpret that. IOW, it doesn't say something like "If you can move it more than 5 mm to one side, it is not engaged"! I'm not totally sure it was engaged, and I see the same thing with the installers in the Youtube videos. That's the biggest annoyance. This is the scariest step because it's not perfectly clear that the tab is exactly where it should be. I'd like to see a diagram of where the clip is supposed to seat.

4. It's important that the clip line up with the arrow, but when you put on the rubber pads, you can no longer see the arrows. If the clip gets shifted after you put the pads on, you are screwed and might crack the glass. I put some tape to show me where the bolt from the tab must be (note line):
Lineup.jpg

5. Step 12 has a subtle but important error: It reads: "In order to lock the system, the mark on the wingnut must align with the mark on the tower." It should read "In order to lock the system, one of the two marks on the wingnut must align." That is, there's a mark on both sides of the wingnut. That's important so that no one adds an additional 360 degree turn when only an additional 180 degree turn is necessary.

6. The wider crossbar goes on the front (if it says that anywhere, I didn't see it).

But the installation went well despite those annoyances. I tightened to slightly less than 2.5 nm. I didn't hear any cracking, and the racks seem very secure.

I hope that helps!

20200724_124326.jpg

Reactions: futuret
Installing the roof rack is scary because some have reported cracking the glass. I just installed mine, and here are some tips.

1. Watch the videos of installation on YouTube.

2. Use a headlamp so you can see the little arrows, etc:

View attachment 568515

3. Step 8 of the manual states: "Pull up and wiggle to be sure it’s properly engaged." But it doesn't tell you how to interpret that. IOW, it doesn't say something like "If you can move it more than 5 mm to one side, it is not engaged"! I'm not totally sure it was engaged, and I see the same thing with the installers in the Youtube videos. That's the biggest annoyance. This is the scariest step because it's not perfectly clear that the tab is exactly where it should be. I'd like to see a diagram of where the clip is supposed to seat.

4. It's important that the clip line up with the arrow, but when you put on the rubber pads, you can no longer see the arrows. If the clip gets shifted after you put the pads on, you are screwed and might crack the glass. I put some tape to show me where the bolt from the tab must be (note line):
View attachment 568517

5. Step 12 has a subtle but important error: It reads: "In order to lock the system, the mark on the wingnut must align with the mark on the tower." It should read "In order to lock the system, one of the two marks on the wingnut must align." That is, there's a mark on both sides of the wingnut. That's important so that no one adds an additional 360 degree turn when only an additional 180 degree turn is necessary.

6. The wider crossbar goes on the front (if it says that anywhere, I didn't see it).

But the installation went well despite those annoyances. I tightened to slightly less than 2.5 nm. I didn't hear any cracking, and the racks seem very secure.

I hope that helps!

View attachment 568519

I had to reinstall the racks after having the top glass replaced (unrelated crack). I sure wish I'd remembered this thread.

The most useful thing would be a photo of the receiver for the metal tabs (e.g. with the top glass removed).

I posted these pics of what the brackets the hooks get inserted into look like….in another thread. Once the hooks are in the slot….there’s no way it’s shifting out unless you rotate it and lift it out.

Reactions: PianoAl