Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roof Rack - Is it Really a Risk?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If the rack is over loaded,( This is my opinion) it can flex the rail
and cause the glass to crack. It's obvious to me, based on that image
this is what has happened. It can not be a coincidence the glass broke
at the racks mounting point.
Nah. You're right it's not a coincidence but you could jump up and down on the rail and it wouldn't flex enough to notice. That thing is rigid.

Reactions: DrDiesel1
When I was fitting mine I used the little end of the hex tool as the handle. It creaked and groaned all the way to "hell's bells that better be enough". Swung on the rack and it was solid.

No cracked glass and a healthy gap under the cushion to the glass. I backed it back to the nearest locking point and it was still solid.

Things they don't tell you in the instructions.

The markers for the stickers are next to impossible to see without a torch. Much easier with a helper to hold the torch.

The weather strip retainer tool slides in and along from the nearest corner of the glass, piece of cake.

The required torque can be had from two fingers and a thumb on the short end of the tool.

Once it is on and the nuts locked, iT AIN'T GOING NOWHERE!

Use a torque wrench, "two fingers" tight is totally inaccurate. High risk, low reward!

Use a torque wrench, "two fingers" tight is totally inaccurate. High risk, low reward!
I own a torque wrench, for working on motorcycles so it's not a big one. The specified torque is right on the bottom of its range. That's not going to be very accurate either.

The little end of the tool is plenty of handle to get the rack torqued down to where it won't move about when you swing on it. That is the other spec in the manual.

If you haven't the hand strength for that I don't think you will be putting the rack up there in the first place.

I own a torque wrench, for working on motorcycles so it's not a big one. The specified torque is right on the bottom of its range. That's not going to be very accurate either.

The little end of the tool is plenty of handle to get the rack torqued down to where it won't move about when you swing on it. That is the other spec in the manual.

If you haven't the hand strength for that I don't think you will be putting the rack up there in the first place.

I have an assortment of calibrated torque and angle wrenches. When I installed my racks I was surprised he actual torque required to meet the spec. I actually double checked my wrenches to make sure I was reading them correctly. It’s a lot more than you’d think expect.

That's my roof/thread that was pictured/quoted earlier. Tesla declared it "caused by impact" and declined to cover it under warranty. They say that the missing little chip(s) of glass at the intersection of the cracks is a definitive indication of impact. Obviously they have a conflict of interest that could influence their judgement, but I have also talked to others who agree with their assessment. Make up your own mind. My roof is fixed and I will be nervous the next time I put a canoe up there, but I'll probably do it anyway.

Last edited:
Hey there,

Congratulations on the new Model Y! It's awesome that you're looking to make the most of it with some outdoor adventures and DIY projects. When it comes to a roof rack, there's always a bit of a debate about potential risks to the glass roof. Tesla does a pretty good job with their installations, but like anything, there's some risk involved, especially with heavy loads like plywood.

If you're planning on keeping it under 35-40 mph with the wood tied down well, you're probably minimizing the risk. As for the car wash, it's usually not an issue, but you might want to check with Tesla or the rack manufacturer to be sure.

If you're looking at roof racks, the Tesla Model Y roof rack from TESERY is worth a look. It's designed to handle the load you're planning on and could be a solid choice for your kayak and paddleboard trips too.

Enjoy your new ride and happy hauling!