TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Rooftop Solar Wasps

Discussion in 'Energy, Environment, and Policy' started by Skotty, Apr 26, 2016.

1. Skotty

Skotty 2014 Model S P85

#1 Skotty, Apr 26, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2016
    While I hate to throw a negative into the solar equation, I just have to ask -- how popular are rooftop solar systems with wasps? I'm thinking about rooftop solar for my house sometime in the next few years, but I've got a real phobia for wasps. I've had to take some drastic measures to make the front of my house less wasp friendly over the last few years, including replacing light cans with sealed versions, removing certain bushes, and sealing up as many cracks and crevices as possible. I fear a rooftop solar installation could possibly be a wasp haven.

Thoughts? Experiences? If I'm lucky, maybe the panels will be too hot for wasps in the summer, though wasps also kind of like heat, so I'm not sure exactly how hot it has to get before they aren't interested anymore.

Just to give you an idea of how much I hate wasps -- I am a nature lover. I feel bad when I dig in the dirt and accidentally cut a worm. I'm fine with honey bees, bumble bees, and other bees. I'm not a fan of spiders in the house and will stomp them, but they are fine outside. Other critters in the house I usually catch and release outdoors. However, when it comes to wasps...I want them ALL to die horrible savage deaths until they are fully and completely extinct from the entire universe. If I am ever to be turned to the dark side of the force, it is my boundless hatred and rage towards wasps that will be my undoing.

2. Skotty

Skotty 2014 Model S P85

If wasps can be a problem, it's not a deal killer -- in that case, I want this to be a discussion of how to make the installations less friendly to wasps and discourage them from taking up residence under the panels.

3. RichardC

RichardC Cdn Sig & Solar Supporter

Too hot for wasp nests in most cases. Squirrels and small raccoons, at night, are more of a concern

4. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

In 3 years have not seen any wasps and I do not see how they could handle the summer rooftop heat.

• Like x 1