Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

After a new solar roof is installed, how hard to replace an existing rooftop condenser unit?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yea, that’s what I meant. If your concerned specifically about payback period and efficiency I’m not sure solar roof is the best option. It is cool though, don’t get me wrong.
I love cool stuff, but IMO, the solar roof has WAY too many functional issues. Just not being able to safely walk on it wet is a show stopper for me. And if I have a fire, they say they will not get on a solar roof for safety. And if they go dead in 25 years, are you going to replace ones roof? Mine is now good for 50. And it is easy to swap my panels out for larger wattage is I want. To change the strings up if I want. Etc.

Reactions: rxlawdude
I know 2.9kW is very small but that number I got from Tesla roof website when I input 1600sf and that's what I got. 5 hours per day is from sunrun website but I'll try to use PVwatts to see the difference. When I entered my address, there's a message: "Unable to determine the latitude and longitude for the location you typed"
At this point, I would like to see this comparison over 20 year period:
[$ (from Tesla roof kWh generation) - $ (from normal electric usage without solar)] versus $ (regular roof cost which is $10.500)
How about adding solar panels on your replaced roof? I think you'd get far more bang (and kW) for your buck that way.

And hopefully, if you are in DWP land, you don't have the same problems that Bill Maher has had. (Google it.)

why have to derate. when i put my gw in i was able to remove my derated 125 amp breaker and put the 200 amp back in

OP said:

On a side note, I check Tesla plans for another city on a daily basis (I'm an electrical engineer working for a city far from where I live).

So I would imagine that, at least from the electrical plans perspective, they likely wont have much problem deducing what they want for their home from an electrical perspective.

OP said:

So I would imagine that, at least from the electrical plans perspective, they likely wont have much problem deducing what they want for their home from an electrical perspective.
Derate the main breaker so you can increase the amount of amperes created by solar/PW system per 120% rule of NEC section 705.12.
Hi Mod, I was able to use PVwatts website and a 10kW system would produce 16,000 kWh/year. And as of now, SCE surplus buy back rate is $0.02/kWh.

Pretty cheap huh?

Last edited:
I think solar roof is kind of a gimmick for people whose money doesn’t matter to them.
It certainly wasn't a gimmick for me and I don't have money to burn. The key factors are whether you already need a new roof, what roofing costs in your area, and (maybe) how important aesthetics are to you and/or your spouse. The difference in cost between a new asphalt shingle roof + solar and a solar roof for me was $1K. That was worth it to me.

It certainly wasn't a gimmick for me and I don't have money to burn. The key factors are whether you already need a new roof, what roofing costs in your area, and (maybe) how important aesthetics are to you and/or your spouse. The difference in cost between a new asphalt shingle roof + solar and a solar roof for me was $1K. That was worth it to me.
Exactly. I think describing it as a niche product would be fair, since most people looking at solar - with a serviceable roof - would not (from a financial standpoint anyway) find solar roof the best option. But for new homes and homes where a new roof is needed, it is very much a viable option, and competitive with re-roofing + solar panels. And, in addition to aesthetics, there are (hopefully) some benefits from a maintenance perspective in having an integrated product, and one warranted by a single company.

Exactly. I think describing it as a niche product would be fair, since most people looking at solar - with a serviceable roof - would not (from a financial standpoint anyway) find solar roof the best option. But for new homes and homes where a new roof is needed, it is very much a viable option, and competitive with re-roofing + solar panels. And, in addition to aesthetics, there are (hopefully) some benefits from a maintenance perspective in having an integrated product, and one warranted by a single company.
My wife absolutely refused to have solar panels on the front of our house (facing SW) so a solar roof was the only possible way to get solar that would provide a payback in a reasonable amount of time and produce what we needed.

So I should have used actual numbers.

1. My house uses approximately 25,000 kWh per year. Over 20 years that’s 500,000 kWh. At LADWP 27 cents, that’s about $125k.

2. My 16.32 / 3 PW system will cost a around $90k over the same 20 years. That’s because it will produce at least 25,000 kWh per year and I get to use all of those kWh. So it’s 27 cents v 19 cents, or an average bill of over $500 vs cost of $300.

3. A solar roof would cost more, but as I said, you get to subtract the cost of the new roof, I stead of just paying for the new roof.

I think other factors even out:

Yes, the system may become less efficient, but power costs could increase by more as a percentage.
The system could also last for more than 20 years, at which point it is however many years of truly free electricity.

So that is with PWs. Without PWs the system cost is about half.

Everyone’s energy costs vary (captain obvious!) but since the cost of the system does not vary, I see no way around doing the calculation for oneself.

Reactions: newbienoob9
I love cool stuff, but IMO, the solar roof has WAY too many functional issues. Just not being able to safely walk on it wet is a show stopper for me. And if I have a fire, they say they will not get on a solar roof for safety. And if they go dead in 25 years, are you going to replace ones roof? Mine is now good for 50. And it is easy to swap my panels out for larger wattage is I want. To change the strings up if I want. Etc.
It is all a compromise and we went for the aesthetics of the SolarRoof. Functionally I think it is fine.

Wet is OK for walking. It is slippery like a boat deck, and deck shoes do work OK. Icy is not good. It is best to think of it more like a slate roof.

Our local fire guys were fine with handling it. On YouTube, there are videos for first responders that Tesla developed in conjunction with CalFire and local fire departments. I did tours of our Solar Roof with the local FD crews. They looked up there and they were fine with it. And one of the captains said he was going to get a solar roof for his house.

Regarding 50-year roof warranties, check for pro-rating. Also, given the rate that roof companies come and go (even big ones like PetersenDean go bankrupt), I think it is more likely that Tesla will be around in 25 years. Also, roofing product lines change all the time and the specific tiles, or worse shingles, you have on the roof are no longer made. So to fix an area you end up putting some that are close in appearance but still do not quite match. The roof we replaced with the SolarRoof, had several patch spots where the colors and texture were close, but not exactly the same, as the rest of the roof. That bothered me every time I looked at the roof.