Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roundtable Roundup

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is an awesome service, as missing a couple of days of The Big Thread ends up being a huge time sink. One 'feature' request that should be simple to implement: a favicon! Your tool has made its way to my pinned tab list, and the lack of a favicon is crimping my browser's style. :)

Reactions: SpaceAggie
This is an awesome service, as missing a couple of days of The Big Thread ends up being a huge time sink. One 'feature' request that should be simple to implement: a favicon! Your tool has made its way to my pinned tab list, and the lack of a favicon is crimping my browser's style. :)

Basic favicon is on the way!

Certainly a thorny copyright issue. I do think that most folks that have copyright warnings posted have them to avoid out-of-context pulling of the discussions here for use elsewhere. I don't think this service is 'in spirit' violating that--the posts that get cached are pulled in context and with full attribution/linking back to the source here. That said, that doesn't mean it's necessarily OK--above my pay grade.

Wouldn't mind seeing the project brought 'in house' to be hosted on TMC to avoid this issue, though.

I'm putting the roundups back up.

When I first took the roundup down I sent TMC a message via the "Contact Us" link at the bottom of the screen. I will immediately take them down should TMC ask me to do so.

Should TMC wish that I not repost the body of these posts, I believe I could still maintain a Roundup but just post the user name and their votes. This would still serve the purpose the Roundup is meant to serve while only being a bit less convenient (with no inline content).

Here's the link for anyone just seeing this conversation: Roundtable Roundup

I've pointed the site to www.roundtableroundup.app now (the old link redirects there as well). A side effect of this is that settings and read posts are reset due to how they are stored in local browser storage (which is site-specific).

I'm working on an update to allow storing settings and read posts by optionally signing in with an external account (i.e. Google). This is useful when you use multiple devices.

Reactions: CarlS and dakh
I love these roundups - they save me so much time and ensure that I don't miss anything. Can you make it so that we can select multiple categories? For example, your previous posts had liked and loved combined.
Thank you for creating these!

Finally got around to implementing this. Click on multiple sort categories to combine them!

Improved the mobile view to show more information and make it easier to visit and mark a post as read.

Also you can now sign in using a Google account. This will keep track of your "read" posts so you can sign in with multiple devices. I only get your email address from your Google account and use it to create a unique anonymous identifier (using a one-way hash) to store your read posts. Your actual email address is only displayed in the settings popup on the browser and never sent to the server.

upload_2020-12-29_13-56-35.png

The client and server code are both open source if anyone wants to take a peak: zbecknell/roundtable-roundup

Right now I just store a list of post IDs that you've read, but later I intend to save your display settings and possibly implement a "favorite" post feature so you can save posts of note for later.

I’ve updated to make signing in more persistent.

As a side effect this and a bug fix your settings will reset. If you are already signed in you may want to sign out and in again.

If you sign in from this point it will no longer expire as it did before — you’ll only be signed out by manually signing out. It also will recognize you as being signed in right away whereas before there could be a delay when first loading the app.

Reactions: CarlS