Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Route suggestion from Atlanta to New Jersey

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got my MS60 two weeks ago. It has been a great experience so far. Loving the car and decided to keep my model 3 reservation.

Now I am planning to take a trip from Atlanta to New Jersey during Thanksgiving. Obviously I am both excited and anxious about it. Any route recommendation (e.g. where is the best location to spend the night with destination charge etc.) from experienced Tesla owners will be very much appreciated.

Easy trip on I-85 and I-95 with no range anxiety at all, even with a S60.

The first step is to learn to use EV Trip Planner to plan your charging stops and time of travel (including charging) at any given point.

With all the available superchargers, I am not sure you will need a destination charger where you are spending the night.

There are so many variables that only you control- when you leave, how fast you drive, how far do you want to drive before taking a break or spending the night, how much you want to spend on a hotel/resort. Once you decide where you want to spend the night, check out

PlugShare
https://chargepoint.com

for destination chargers in the area you plan to stay if you decide to use one.

Easy trip on I-85 and I-95 with no range anxiety at all, even with a S60.

The first step is to learn to use EV Trip Planner to plan your charging stops and time of travel (including charging) at any given point.

With all the available superchargers, I am not sure you will need a destination charger where you are spending the night.

There are so many variables that only you control- when you leave, how fast you drive, how far do you want to drive before taking a break or spending the night, how much you want to spend on a hotel/resort. Once you decide where you want to spend the night, check out

PlugShare
https://chargepoint.com

for destination chargers in the area you plan to stay if you decide to use one.

+1 from another S60 owner...

I recently took a trip from Jersey to Atlanta, then Tampa, FL. Definitely use EV Trip Planner very helpful... My midway overnight stay was the Hilton right next to the Greenville, SC supercharger.

I used EV Trip Planner then looked at the Chargers it routed me through to get an idea on a stopping point after 12-14 hours driving. Then looked up the superchargers on Tesla.com to see what amenities were near them.

Thanks to all that replied. This is really helpful. I did try EV trip planner but was wondering if there is recommendation on certain EV friendly hotel on the way.

EV Trip Planner does seem to be a very helpful tool as I explore it more. One thing I wish it had is to include newly refreshed 60 so that the charging time would be calculated more accurately. It would be even better to have a mobile app...

Go to the Supercharger map on the Tesla site and press the tesla symbol for the Superchargers along the way, and it will tell you where they are located as will EV Trip Planner.

There is also a thread here or on Tesla Motors Forum that provides reviews and facilities for each supercharger.