Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rubber roof seal loose after removing roof rack

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a Tesla roof rack on my model Y and it was used for a about 2 months. However now, I don’t need the roof rack and decided to remove it. Mostly because I prefer the look of the car without the rack but also to gain range and keep my car running quieter. Has anyone here routinely put on and remove their roof rack and noticed the rubber roof seal loose in the area the foot of the rack goes? Does it make a difference at all? I’m worried that water will get in there or that I’ll need to replace the entire roof seal now. Starting to think I should have just left the roof rack on.

Oh good to know! I’ve decided to take off the roof rack. One of the main reasons is my local drive through car wash doesn’t allow roof racks. Since I have a family and kids I don’t have time to do the hand washes.
Just expect a lot of scratches from the carwash, which is unavoidable. I have 2 kids (5 and 2) and one hours is all you need to vacuum, wash, and dry your car.

Upvote 0
I have a Tesla roof rack on my model Y and it was used for a about 2 months. However now, I don’t need the roof rack and decided to remove it. Mostly because I prefer the look of the car without the rack but also to gain range and keep my car running quieter. Has anyone here routinely put on and remove their roof rack and noticed the rubber roof seal loose in the area the foot of the rack goes? Does it make a difference at all? I’m worried that water will get in there or that I’ll need to replace the entire roof seal now. Starting to think I should have just left the roof rack on.
Did you leave the paint protection stickers on the car after removing the bars? Or can it be used without the stickers?

I had the racks on it for a few months and thinking of taking them off again after our summer holiday.
I am just wondering what to do with the paint protection stickers.

Upvote 0
Did you leave the paint protection stickers on the car after removing the bars? Or can it be used without the stickers?

I had the racks on it for a few months and thinking of taking them off again after our summer holiday.
I am just wondering what to do with the paint protection stickers.
I've just left the stickers on, and haven't had any issue. I only put the rack on if I need to carry something that won't fit in the car.

Upvote 0