Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Running out of battery power/energy and consequently range and consequently stranded by roadside and my experiences.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla Model X - 90D, purchased October 2017 in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Purchase Extended Warranty May 12-2021. Mileage 80777 Kms

- 12V Battery resulted being drained as a result of hazard warning working over a long period. Doors could not be opened and all displays were frozen.
On Wednesday Sep 8, 2021 I decided I should deep drain my battery and I accidentally over drained it thereby getting stranded 500 yards from my home. The car showed 0 kms range and shortly came to a standstill on the right hand side of a local lane way while I was still on drive. The following actions were taken and see responses for these action in order.
1) (A) Called for Tesla roadside assistance. (R) Indicated they do not cover road side assistance for battery drain cases however were prepared to provide a quote for assistance.
2) (A) Called CAA (Also a member) (R) Placed the car rear wheels on dolly's and lifted front of car by wheels and moved vehicle home. Boosted 12 V battery (
) to get charging cable connected. This was done by opening the front trunk (Pulling the two loops in front and removing the plastic covering in the front compartment via positive terminal -
)
3) (A) Placed a service request with Tesla service from App. (R) Received earliest service on Sep 20-2021.
4) (A) Called and spoke with mobile service. (R) Indicated if it gains range when battery is charged they may be able to help.
5) After nearly 1 ½ hrs it started gaining range from charging (28 Kms/hr) by morning it was charged to 70% setting)

6) (A) Front instrument display behind steering wheel indicated “Replace 12 V battery or vehicle may shut down”. This however seemed incorrect as all indication returned strong 12V battery power. (R) Hence I tried rebooting car twice unsuccessfully. This problem was solved by doing a hard reboot.

Now the car seems to have returned to its normal not sure if it impacted overall main battery cells.

• Informative
Reactions: T.R.T.e.s.l.a.