Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Russia/Ukraine conflict

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At 37 seconds in this video there is the reflective particle cone shaped cloud that seems to start to the right of the bridge and grows as you go frame by frame, more obvious full screen on a large display. I'm not sure how that happens if the explosion source is the truck.
View attachment 861818
View attachment 861819

View attachment 861820

You'll have seen me comment before on the colouration and heterogenous composition of the explosion. My suspicion is that this photo in the video shows an explosively formed penetrator (from a large shaped charge with e.g. copper ) coming up from underneath; or it is an explosive that is directional in nature & boosted (e.g. aluminium); or both; and we are seeing it breaking through here. That is what I have thought since the first footage came out. It is possible some of its effects are visible in the photo of the under-bridge section where I put a red ring around a hole at water level, though that hole could also have been happenstance, one would need to look more closely to be sure either way. An explosion of this size - that photo is just the early stage - is likely 1,000 kg or so, i.e. a tonne of explosive or so. That is also large enough to give the blast effects that are observable. There isn't much sooting around the upstream side of such an explosion - sooting is an effect caused by low temperature combustions. That is why the sooting is on the more peripheral areas in the photos on this occasion.

You don't install 1-tonne of explosives by some humans clambering around underneath a bridge with a rucsac in 30-minutes !

There is no way this was a charge delivered by a Ukraine manned submarine imho, and in any case I don't think they have a suitable one*. And there is no need for Ukraine to risk an unmanned submarine, and in any case they don't have a suitable one*. But they do have the device which is perfect to deliver a charge like this - an unmanned remote controlled bomb-boat, aka USV. The one that was beached a month ago would be basically operating awash in a sea state that we see here, so it might as well be a submarine from the perspective of most observors and surveillance sensors. Just take a look at the sensor fit and you'll begin to understand how that was operated. You move something like that into final position slowly on an operation like this, it never makes a bow wave or a wake. The larger waves just wash over the top of it. There is no 'dash' to the final position. Instead it manoeuvres slowly and careful, but promptly, to a very precise location which it can determine (remotely-operated, i.e. human-in-the-loop) using its sensor fit even in a degraded GPS environment. It needs to be at a precise location in order for the explosive charge to do its job properly, my guesstimate would be a target box about 2m wide (laterally across the bridge) by about 5m long (along the bridge). As with any boat manoeuvring requires skill, this is not a sort of boat with lots of positional thrusters. I suspect it was about 1m off-centre laterally and the irony is that location probably was more effective than being precisely centred as it also had the effect of flipping the span slightly sideway as well as upwards.

* Other countries do, but not Ukraine. And there are - ahem - issues with using them. Because of my life experiences I know a fair amount about this stuff.

Last edited:
We saw several underwater explosions damage the pipelines. Isn't it safe to assume a similar method for this attack? Just target the concrete support and see what happens.
No. The activity of placing a device in the right position at 80m water depth is very different. And the device itself is in some important ways also different.

Russia terror bombing children's playgrounds and other civilian targets as revenge for the bridge. Imo this is why Ukraine is winning. While Russia is wasting tons of missiles trying to kill civilians, Ukraine focuses on Russian military infrastructure, weapons supply, bridges, headquarters etc. But lots of lives will be lost. Russia will have to pay for this and it will take a long time before they are forgiven.

But they [Ukraine] do have the device which is perfect to deliver a charge like this - an unmanned remote controlled bomb-boat, aka USV. The one that was beached a month ago would be basically operating awash in a sea state that we see here, so it might as well be a submarine from the perspective of most observors and surveillance sensors.

Sighting confirmed. Catch the Wave! :D

ANQ-22 Hvylya.jpg

Budmo!

So today we have Putin venting his anger and Surovikin trying to make his mark as the the new commander.
Ukraine must have been expecting this to happen so I really hope they have a plan or it's going to get even nastier for them very soon.

Some information on the Kyiv attacks taken from the Agency Telegram channel, which I think gives some insight into the mindset of Putin and his cronies:

"One of the rockets exploded at the intersection of Vladimirskaya Street and Taras Shevchenko Boulevard. Here are the buildings of the Kyiv National University named after Shevchenko and the building of the Ministry of Science and Education of Ukraine. Judging by the video and photos, the windows of the house near the explosion were broken.

The rocket also hit the nearby park named after Taras Shevchenko. The nearby buildings of the scientific library and the Bohdan and Varvara Khanenko museum, the Shevchenko museum, and residential buildings were damaged ."

The Ministry of Defense of the Russian Federation commented a short time ago:
"All designated objects of the military command and control systems, communications and energy of Ukraine were hit, the targets of the strikes were achieved."

Last edited:
So today we have Putin venting his anger and Surovikin trying to make his mark as the the new commander.
Ukraine must have been expecting this to happen so I really hope they have a plan or it's going to get even nastier for them very soon.

Some information on the Kyiv attacks taken from the Agency Telegram channel, which I think gives some insight into the mindset of Putin and his cronies:

"One of the rockets exploded at the intersection of Vladimirskaya Street and Taras Shevchenko Boulevard. Here are the buildings of the Kyiv National University named after Shevchenko and the building of the Ministry of Science and Education of Ukraine. Judging by the video and photos, the windows of the house near the explosion were broken.

The rocket also hit the nearby park named after Taras Shevchenko. The nearby buildings of the scientific library and the Bohdan and Varvara Khanenko museum, the Shevchenko museum, and residential buildings were damaged ."

"All designated objects of the military command and control systems, communications and energy of Ukraine were hit, the targets of the strikes were achieved."

Best response would be to blast off the rest of the bridge

The escalating indiscriminate civilian attacks on Ukraine by Putin will not foster much additional support for the war among the population in Russia. However, they will continue to deeply motivate Ukranians, increase support in the West, and lead to further distancing among "neutral" nations.

Kyrgyzstan, a former Soviet republic in Central Asia, on Sunday unilaterally cancelled joint military drills among the six nations of the Russia-led Collective Security Treaty Organization (CSTO), less than a day before they were due to start on its territory.

Kyrgyzstan cancels Russian-led joint military drills on its territory a day before planned kickoff

Krygystan announced cancellation shortly before Putin's latest terrorist attacks, but it's indicative of the trend.

Just in case anyone misses this: "[Shevchenko] was a Ukrainian poet, writer, artist, public and political figure, folklorist and ethnographer. His literary heritage is regarded to be the foundation of modern Ukrainian literature and, to a large extent, the modern Ukrainian language..."

Cultural genocide is the goal.

No. There's a 10 km long lineup of cars queued to depart Crimea for the Russian mainland. Why stop that? The strike was brilliant, encourage the civilians to leave, leaving only targets remaining. Civilian causualties matter in the West, and this is what will ultimately topple Putin.

Drivers wait hours to cross damaged Kerch Bridge and leave annexed Crimea | The Sun

Strike was to answer to the bully.

Civilians have been trying to leave for some time, and at one time Russia even tried to stop them.
Strike will happen in early hours, weekends etc when there aren't any civilians ... cheers!!

No. There's a 10 km long lineup of cars queued to depart Crimea for the Russian mainland. Why stop that? The strike was brilliant, encourage the civilians to leave, leaving only targets remaining. Civilian causualties matter in the West, and this is what will ultimately topple Putin.

Drivers wait hours to cross damaged Kerch Bridge and leave annexed Crimea | The Sun

There's only one lane of road traffic using the roadbridge at the moment. A 10km queue is about 1,000 cars. At the reported speed of 20 cars/hour (or 480 cars/day) that is 50-hours of queue. So for the next two days this makes it more difficult for any military road traffic to go in the opposite direction. Also at (say) 2 people per car that is about 1,000 Russians/day leaving Crimea in cars and spreading the word. The more Russians leave Crimea the easier things will be for Ukraine. And I expect that queue will grow in length.

Difficult call for Ukraine to make re trying to have another go at the road bridge, especially now it has a constant steady stream of dense civilian traffic driving slowly across it.

The rail bridge is higher above the water so more difficult to get in exactly the same way. I'm sure there are other ways though, in fact I can think of some :) Mind you it does seem as if Russia has run out of modern tanks/etc to send in by rail judging by the amount of T62 showing up.