Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Russia/Ukraine conflict

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting. They report IEA says 600,000 barrels a day, but just a few weeks ago Russian Deputy Prime Minister Alexander Novak said Russia will continue a 500,000 barrels per day oil production cut until the end of June. Would not be surprised if either figure is actually correct.

The article attributes (as with others) in significant part the revenue drop is related to “customers who can negotiate greater discounts”.

Not at all. No matter how you slice it it's still awful security practice to have an admin/superuser with control of area computer systems to also having access to document specifics. It's the classic fox guarding the hen house.

Given the limited news of photographed 'documents' and knowing documents can either be electronic or physical it makes sense to consider both options which again should not be accessible based on a security clearance level only. Security clearance is only a pre-req not carte blanche as you suggest.
My understanding is that this information was accessed at a SCIF. So there was no way for him to electronically move the information outside of it. Keep in mind he started out just paraphrasing the information, as he likely just used his memory. Later he printed it out, which really was the only way he could have gotten the info out of the facility (other than his memory). There is a digital trail of whoever prints out the information however, and I suspect that is being used by the investigators for the charges.
Sensitive compartmented information facility - Wikipedia

This information wasn't so secret that it needed to be in a locked safe.
This is really all off topic and way down a rabbit hole but I'll add there might also be lax security, unwarranted trust, and lack of oversight based on the leaker's step father being a long term NCO at the site. I doubt the public gets all the info from this investigation but I bet a few heads roll as they seemingly employed anything but standard operating procedures.
I touched on this in my comment above. Yes you can compartmentalize information further (they actually already do, it's called SCI or SAP), but you trade off mission efficiency. It's something the military will have to weigh themselves. My understanding was this leaked information was in daily briefing material, which while top secret, is not at that level of further compartmentalization. I'm not arguing for no further compartmentalization (for example I expect things like the names of all the informants in Russia are under further security), but just saying there are likely operational reasons why people like him has access to the info he got access to.
Russia/Ukraine conflict

List of U.S. security clearance terms - Wikipedia

I still think the core issue is that there is a growing trend of military personnel leaking information to win internet arguments. Sure, this time it was an IT person that perhaps some additional controls might have prevented or reduced the scope, but I can see it equally likely being another support staff that directly deal with the material daily as part of their job. Keep in mind Chelsea Manning was an intelligence analyst who was only 22 years old when she leaked the info. What's to stop another young person in a similar role or for example in the support staff of the top brass from doing something similar?

Last edited:
Russia oil exports highest since April 2020 according to IEA. Export revenues are up 1b m/m to $12.7b (and way up from April 2020), but down 43% y/y.

The revenue drop is mostly due to a 30% drop in world oil prices y/y, but also partly due to higher shipping costs which effectively reduce the net price Russia receives. Shipping costs are up due to sanctions causing much longer shipping distances and making it harder/more expensive for shippers to carry Russian oil.

I've seen claims that oil exports are "unprofitable" for Russia. This is laughable, but even if it were true it completely misses the point. Russia pays oil workers in rubles. They create rubles with a few keystrokes. The only thing that matters is hard currency to buy drones and other war material imports. March oil exports provided 12.7b of hard currency. End of story. People need to stop buying the nonsense politicians are selling about "not funding Putin's war".

The oil industry is very capital intensive and not labor intensive. The employment levels at the major oil companies is amazingly small.

The Russians can "print rubles" to pay for a lot of the costs of extracting the oil and shipping it, but not all the costs. Especially the shipping costs, which are mostly in hard currency because the shippers don't want rubles.

They can spend rubles on a lot of the internal costs, but that does have a long term cost. Russian oil is expensive to extract, so they need to print a lot of rubles for this. The more they create currency to pay for things, the closer they get to economic collapse like Venezuela suffered. They do have a financial genius at the head of the national bank keeping the plates spinning, but that will only last so long. There are already signs that the games she's been playing are running out.

Russia is also not running a peacetime economy, it's trying to conduct a war and wars set fire to a ton of cash. Russia not only has it's normal financial obligations like maintaining the railroads, the roads, keeping the power stations running, etc,, but it also it trying to ramp up military production in an environment where many of the things they need to military equipment is more expensive or just plain not available except through the black market.

For example there is an integrated circuit they use in their cruise missiles that is shared with some washing machines. They can't buy the part on the open market anymore, which normally costs something like $0.50. Instead they are buying washing machines from China to take them apart, unsolder the parts from the washing machines and put them in their missiles. The washing machines are probably being bought wholesale, so they might only be spending $700 on them. But they need to employ someone to remove the parts from the washing machines and install them on the missile's circuit boards. Removing those types of parts runs a high risk of damaging the part beyond repair, they are not designed to be removed. They may be only able to use 3 out of 4 of the parts, if they guy removing them is very good.

So they are out around $1000 hard currency and some number of rubles for a part that used to cost $0.50. They have also introduced a new step in the manufacturing process that takes a lot of time. Production rates for these missiles was already slow. Maybe they can do this in parallel with other processes that take time and it's not the bottleneck, but it they tried to increase production both availability of the parts and the time it takes to extract them from the washing machines would quickly become a bottleneck.

Russia faces challenges everywhere they try to expand production. Even if they can replace the German tooling they have been using with Chinese tooling, the Chinese are going to want hard currency for it. They aren't going to take rubles. The Chinese don't make some of the machine tools Russia needs to make military hardware.

Russia is also stripping out the electronics where they can.

Russia is also not doing itself any favors by stripping out the electronics in their tanks and replacing them with older manual equipment. That is the only way they can keep producing T-90s and other vehicles. The electronics for sighting and fire control have been replaced with 1970s equivalents. That vastly reduces their combat effectiveness at a time when the quality of their crews is dropping fast too.

This video discusses the problems Russian tankers now face with antiquated equipment against Ukrainian tanks with modern fire control systems

The Chieftain is out there in many places. He's an old tanker who has featured in Perun videos among other things. In his opinion an old tank with modern fire control systems is far more lethal than any tank with old fire control systems.

A lot of Russian tanks on the battlefield today are old tanks puled out of storage with antiquated systems. Their newly built T-90s also have antiquated systems because they don't have the electronics. They are up against a mixed lot of Ukrainian tanks, but even a lot of Ukraine's T-64s have been updated.

Russia may be able to hold the economy together for another year, but they are facing an economic cliff fairly soon. When the bills come due they will likely see hyperinflation and chaos in their economy. If they manage to keep hyperinflation at bay it will be at the cost of everything else. They will see power shortages, mass unemployment, and a vast constriction of their economy.

Russia oil exports highest since April 2020 according to IEA. Export revenues are up 1b m/m to $12.7b (and way up from April 2020), but down 43% y/y.

The revenue drop is mostly due to a 30% drop in world oil prices y/y, but also partly due to higher shipping costs which effectively reduce the net price Russia receives. Shipping costs are up due to sanctions causing much longer shipping distances and making it harder/more expensive for shippers to carry Russian oil.

I've seen claims that oil exports are "unprofitable" for Russia. This is laughable, but even if it were true it completely misses the point. Russia pays oil workers in rubles. They create rubles with a few keystrokes. The only thing that matters is hard currency to buy drones and other war material imports. March oil exports provided 12.7b of hard currency. End of story. People need to stop buying the nonsense politicians are selling about "not funding Putin's war".
Your own source says that revenue is way down due to the sanctions working to force Russia to sell at lower prices due to having limited pool of buyers (mainly China and India). So "not funding Putin's war" appears to be working. It doesn't mean Russia will get zero revenue, but it does help reduce the amount of revenue they are getting significantly.

Your own source says that revenue is way down due to the sanctions working to force Russia to sell at lower prices due to having limited pool of buyers (mainly China and India). So "not funding Putin's war" appears to be working. It doesn't mean Russia will get zero revenue, but it does help reduce the amount of revenue they are getting significantly.

I feel a bit silly quoting CNN, which is quoting Russian sources ... but fwiw

The article says Russia is presently running a $10B a month budget deficit. Google says Russia has $600B in hard currency reserves. Even if the reserve includes amounts frozen by Western countries, Russia has years of reserves.

Sad, but I think true. And nothing prevents Russia from foisting austerity on its population, not to mention the inevitable rise in fossil prices in the winter.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: RabidYak
Last edited:
Yet another tranche of the US intelligence leaked material shows that the Russian military and intelligence officials are fighting over the huge casualty figures and the course of Putin's Special Military Operation.

New Leaked Documents Show Broad Infighting Among Russian Officials The additional documents also suggest the breach of American intelligence agencies could contain far more material than previously believed.

During the next 6 months, Russia’s economic challenges and degraded conventional capabilities very likely will further impede its efforts, creating a mostly permissive environment for continued [Western] lethal aid deliveries,” the document said.​
If this is real then the US government already thinks Russia's economic challenges are having a significant impact on their ability to wage war in Ukraine.

It also means Ukraine's conventional forces are ramping up while Russia's are ramping down. If Lanchester's square law is applicable then the Russian war effort may be in trouble. OTOH Russia is still a formidable foe and they should take fewer losses after switching from offense to defense.

Mick Ryan
Ben Hodges
Chris o

These three are worth following IMO. This last note from Mick is a must read for some who think Russia is dried up & brittle.

Some interesting views in today

Russian fcukwits at ZNPP

Very well done Slovakia (unfortunately quite likely pro-Russian parties will win power there soon)

Progress on Danish Leopards

US sanctions are indeed bring Orban (Hungary) to heel

Starting to get significant columns out in the mud

Bit of a hack job
https://twitter.com/front_ukrainian/status/1647661286283530242

Well done Italy
https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1647189408171401216

The oil industry is very capital intensive and not labor intensive. The employment levels at the major oil companies is amazingly small.

The Russians can "print rubles" to pay for a lot of the costs of extracting the oil and shipping it, but not all the costs. Especially the shipping costs, which are mostly in hard currency because the shippers don't want rubles.

They can spend rubles on a lot of the internal costs, but that does have a long term cost. Russian oil is expensive to extract, so they need to print a lot of rubles for this. The more they create currency to pay for things, the closer they get to economic collapse like Venezuela suffered. They do have a financial genius at the head of the national bank keeping the plates spinning, but that will only last so long. There are already signs that the games she's been playing are running out.

Russia is also not running a peacetime economy, it's trying to conduct a war and wars set fire to a ton of cash. Russia not only has it's normal financial obligations like maintaining the railroads, the roads, keeping the power stations running, etc,, but it also it trying to ramp up military production in an environment where many of the things they need to military equipment is more expensive or just plain not available except through the black market.

For example there is an integrated circuit they use in their cruise missiles that is shared with some washing machines. They can't buy the part on the open market anymore, which normally costs something like $0.50. Instead they are buying washing machines from China to take them apart, unsolder the parts from the washing machines and put them in their missiles. The washing machines are probably being bought wholesale, so they might only be spending $700 on them. But they need to employ someone to remove the parts from the washing machines and install them on the missile's circuit boards. Removing those types of parts runs a high risk of damaging the part beyond repair, they are not designed to be removed. They may be only able to use 3 out of 4 of the parts, if they guy removing them is very good.

So they are out around $1000 hard currency and some number of rubles for a part that used to cost $0.50. They have also introduced a new step in the manufacturing process that takes a lot of time. Production rates for these missiles was already slow. Maybe they can do this in parallel with other processes that take time and it's not the bottleneck, but it they tried to increase production both availability of the parts and the time it takes to extract them from the washing machines would quickly become a bottleneck.

Russia faces challenges everywhere they try to expand production. Even if they can replace the German tooling they have been using with Chinese tooling, the Chinese are going to want hard currency for it. They aren't going to take rubles. The Chinese don't make some of the machine tools Russia needs to make military hardware.

Russia is also stripping out the electronics where they can.

Russia is also not doing itself any favors by stripping out the electronics in their tanks and replacing them with older manual equipment. That is the only way they can keep producing T-90s and other vehicles. The electronics for sighting and fire control have been replaced with 1970s equivalents. That vastly reduces their combat effectiveness at a time when the quality of their crews is dropping fast too.

This video discusses the problems Russian tankers now face with antiquated equipment against Ukrainian tanks with modern fire control systems

The Chieftain is out there in many places. He's an old tanker who has featured in Perun videos among other things. In his opinion an old tank with modern fire control systems is far more lethal than any tank with old fire control systems.

A lot of Russian tanks on the battlefield today are old tanks puled out of storage with antiquated systems. Their newly built T-90s also have antiquated systems because they don't have the electronics. They are up against a mixed lot of Ukrainian tanks, but even a lot of Ukraine's T-64s have been updated.

Russia may be able to hold the economy together for another year, but they are facing an economic cliff fairly soon. When the bills come due they will likely see hyperinflation and chaos in their economy. If they manage to keep hyperinflation at bay it will be at the cost of everything else. They will see power shortages, mass unemployment, and a vast constriction of their economy.
Chances are very good that Russia can and does source many parts from friendly countries such as India and Brazil. Both of those are actively trading with Russia although they publicly disclose such deals as, for example, Brazilian beef vs Russian fertilizer. India direct deals for petroleum products are also not secret. The very public discussion about expanding BRICS to counter NATO have been very open with reciprocal visits, just now with Lavrov in Brasilia, and with Lula in China last week. Unquestionably BRICS official policy is the help Russia. Russia has also agreed to help Brazil with civil nuclear deployment. The quid pro quos are not all disclosed. Of course Lula repeatedly blaming the US and EU of ‘incentivizing’ the Ukraine resistance is material, That word is literal, colloquially I would say ‘encourage’.
Do NOT assume NATO/EU/US actions supporting Ukraine are solidly effective. They are very porous, even within the EU in some respects. FWIW, Lavrov’s airplane had ‘tons’ of things offloaded but no detail given.

As a Brazilian it gives me no pleasure to make this post. I have just listened to the Lula/Lavrov announcements. Of course there are protests.

Last edited:
He will be indicted, right? I would expect, even if he wasn't the one that stole it, simply posting known classified intel is a felony punishable by a long stay at Club Fed.
It's a woman. I damn well hope so. How many active duty are doing this is what worries me? They need to set examples of these traitors.

Mick Ryan
Ben Hodges
Chris o

These three are worth following IMO. This last note from Mick is a must read for some who think Russia is dried up & brittle.

A quote I saw recently:
"Russia is never as strong as she looks; Russia is never as weak as she looks." (Attributed to multiple individuals, including Winston Churchill.)

Another thing I saw was from a German officer in Operation Barbarosa in 1941. He said that Russian artillery is either awful and can't hit anything, or it's deadly accurate and nothing in between.

Russian quality ranges all over the map from abysmal to quite good and is often bifurcated with a little bit of very high quality and a sea of terrible.

In some areas the Russians are adapting. They are getting more drones over the battlefields now and finally figuring out how to use them like the Ukrainians. I saw a report a couple of days ago that a Russian was saying he could finally get drones easily for his unit. They apparently bought a large number of them from China.

Russia has also started employing aerial dropped smart bombs again after being absent from the battlefield for a year.

But the Russians can't get around a number of problems stemming from sanctions as well as bad decisions last year. One of their "own goals" was to strip their training units and send those people to Ukraine where a lot of them have gotten killed and the ones who are still alive are probably not coming back anytime soon because they need all the experienced people they can get on the front.

Because the trainers are now in combat and not training, they have nobody to train new recruits. They were sending some mobiks to Belarus to train under Belorussian trainers, but Belarus only has a relative handful of trainers. Their army is tiny compared to Russia.

Russia also is showing signs of running low on a lot of war material. they are employing vehicles from the 50s and even some WW II era equipment. They are able to equip some elite units up to the normal order of battle, but a lot of units are getting table scraps for equipment. This is a drastic downturn from early in the war when all the units had a full complement of equipment.

They are making progress in Bakhmut now, but they had to deploy their well equipped units to do it. As a result these units are not going to be as full strength and possibly not in position when the Ukrainian offensive starts. Russia's supply of well equipped units is a very limited resource. Those units were probably intended to be the mobile reserve during the Ukrainian offensive to stop breakthroughs and they could have blunted Ukrainian breakthroughs (at least slowed them down to a point of potentially stalling out the offensive), but they won't be at full strength anymore.

If the Ukrainians had been given the western equipment they are getting now last summer, they probably could have rolled up the Russians before last fall and this war would be over. Ukraine has built up their forces over the winter as well as done more training. But the Russians have been able to regroup and rebuild to some extent too. They wasted a lot of that on the stupid offensives, but they still built up some.

Russia has also been able to build up defenses. A lot of their defenses are laughably bad, but I'm sure there are some that the Ukrainians will have to put some effort into breaching. If the Ukrainians can get momentum from their breakthrough they may be able to blow through rear area defensive lines before the Russians can man them, but they need to move fast to do that. Speed will be the key.

Chances are very good that Russia can and does source many parts from friendly countries such as India and Brazil. Both of those are actively trading with Russia although they publicly disclose such deals as, for example, Brazilian beef vs Russian fertilizer. India direct deals for petroleum products are also not secret. The very public discussion about expanding BRICS to counter NATO have been very open with reciprocal visits, just now with Lavrov in Brasilia, and with Lula in China last week. Unquestionably BRICS official policy is the help Russia. Russia has also agreed to help Brazil with civil nuclear deployment. The quid pro quos are not all disclosed. Of course Lula repeatedly blaming the US and EU of ‘incentivizing’ the Ukraine resistance is material, That word is literal, colloquially I would say ‘encourage’.
Do NOT assume NATO/EU/US actions supporting Ukraine are solidly effective. They are very porous, even within the EU in some respects. FWIW, Lavrov’s airplane had ‘tons’ of things offloaded but no detail given.

As a Brazilian it gives me no pleasure to make this post. I have just listened to the Lula/Lavrov announcements. Of course there are protests.

The Russians are able to get parts via the black market, but the sanctions make it much tougher and there are entire systems they need and can't get. The best machine tools for making some military equipment come from the west. Without access to those the Russians can't expand production and production may fall as the old equipment wears out and they can't get it repaired.

Similar problems will plague their oil industry. Russia has relied on foreign experts for a lot of the more complex jobs in their oil business. Going back to the Soviet days they were always weak in the geo professional areas. My sister was a Petroleum Geologist and her company had a contract back in the 90s to help revamp the Russian oil business. A lot of American and other western companies were working with the Russians to rebuild their oil business after decades of mismanagement under the Soviets.

She said their fields were a complete mess and over the decade the western companies turned around their business. Rather than train their own Geologists and engineers to manage their fields, the Russians continued to outsource the jobs. Now those people have left the country and they have few professionals to keep everything moving smoothly. Additionally equipment breaks down and they will see problems as their equipment breaks and can't be repaired.

They can get some things and probably some expertise from other countries who are still talking to Russia, but those countries don't have large pools of professionals they can draw from like the western countries, and they don't always have the parts Russia needs.

One area where this is becoming a crisis is in commercial aviation. They are flying some of their Airbus jets to Iran for maintenance, but Iran has very few qualified technicians so progress on any maintenance is slow. They have gotten around the mandatory maintenance by allowing their airliners to fly twice the miles mandated by western air authorities before maintenance. They still have half their commercial airliner fleet grounded for lack of spare parts.

Some of the parts that Russia needs are so common they can get them on the gray market quite easily. For example they have started using smart bombs again from their aircraft. They were completely out of them at the start of the war and it took until now to get them back into production. The bombs probably used some parts that were difficult to get under sanctions, but they redesigned them to use off the shelf parts like Chinese GPS modules with low tech processors and Chinese servo systems (for controlling the fins) that use some ancient processor that is off patent. The fact they were completely missing for almost a year and they are suddenly appearing in decent numbers is an indication they needed to retool manufacturing and it's working again.

Russia is adapting, but the sanctions are also biting them hard too. The longer the sanctions are on, the more difficult it's going to get for Russia to keep this up. In some areas they will successfully adapt and get needed hardware back into production, but other areas they are going to struggle badly to get much made.

He will be indicted, right? I would expect, even if he wasn't the one that stole it, simply posting known classified intel is a felony punishable by a long stay at Club Fed.

It's a woman and the article calls her an officer, but she was enlisted. From another story I thought they said she was actively serving at Bremerton, WA when she started this activity, but she recently got out with an honorable discharge.

Just possessing the material is a crime, though one that usually results in a slap of the wrist if the person doesn't do anything with it. The fact she was disseminating it moves into espionage act territory. She's probably looking at a decade or more, possible court martial, and her separation changed from honorable to dishonorable discharge.