Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Russia/Ukraine conflict

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A quote I saw recently:
"Russia is never as strong as she looks; Russia is never as weak as she looks." (Attributed to multiple individuals, including Winston Churchill.)

Another thing I saw was from a German officer in Operation Barbarosa in 1941. He said that Russian artillery is either awful and can't hit anything, or it's deadly accurate and nothing in between.

Russian quality ranges all over the map from abysmal to quite good and is often bifurcated with a little bit of very high quality and a sea of terrible.

In some areas the Russians are adapting. They are getting more drones over the battlefields now and finally figuring out how to use them like the Ukrainians. I saw a report a couple of days ago that a Russian was saying he could finally get drones easily for his unit. They apparently bought a large number of them from China.

Russia has also started employing aerial dropped smart bombs again after being absent from the battlefield for a year.

But the Russians can't get around a number of problems stemming from sanctions as well as bad decisions last year. One of their "own goals" was to strip their training units and send those people to Ukraine where a lot of them have gotten killed and the ones who are still alive are probably not coming back anytime soon because they need all the experienced people they can get on the front.

Because the trainers are now in combat and not training, they have nobody to train new recruits. They were sending some mobiks to Belarus to train under Belorussian trainers, but Belarus only has a relative handful of trainers. Their army is tiny compared to Russia.

Russia also is showing signs of running low on a lot of war material. they are employing vehicles from the 50s and even some WW II era equipment. They are able to equip some elite units up to the normal order of battle, but a lot of units are getting table scraps for equipment. This is a drastic downturn from early in the war when all the units had a full complement of equipment.

They are making progress in Bakhmut now, but they had to deploy their well equipped units to do it. As a result these units are not going to be as full strength and possibly not in position when the Ukrainian offensive starts. Russia's supply of well equipped units is a very limited resource. Those units were probably intended to be the mobile reserve during the Ukrainian offensive to stop breakthroughs and they could have blunted Ukrainian breakthroughs (at least slowed them down to a point of potentially stalling out the offensive), but they won't be at full strength anymore.

If the Ukrainians had been given the western equipment they are getting now last summer, they probably could have rolled up the Russians before last fall and this war would be over. Ukraine has built up their forces over the winter as well as done more training. But the Russians have been able to regroup and rebuild to some extent too. They wasted a lot of that on the stupid offensives, but they still built up some.

Russia has also been able to build up defenses. A lot of their defenses are laughably bad, but I'm sure there are some that the Ukrainians will have to put some effort into breaching. If the Ukrainians can get momentum from their breakthrough they may be able to blow through rear area defensive lines before the Russians can man them, but they need to move fast to do that. Speed will be the key.

The Russians are able to get parts via the black market, but the sanctions make it much tougher and there are entire systems they need and can't get. The best machine tools for making some military equipment come from the west. Without access to those the Russians can't expand production and production may fall as the old equipment wears out and they can't get it repaired.

Similar problems will plague their oil industry. Russia has relied on foreign experts for a lot of the more complex jobs in their oil business. Going back to the Soviet days they were always weak in the geo professional areas. My sister was a Petroleum Geologist and her company had a contract back in the 90s to help revamp the Russian oil business. A lot of American and other western companies were working with the Russians to rebuild their oil business after decades of mismanagement under the Soviets.

She said their fields were a complete mess and over the decade the western companies turned around their business. Rather than train their own Geologists and engineers to manage their fields, the Russians continued to outsource the jobs. Now those people have left the country and they have few professionals to keep everything moving smoothly. Additionally equipment breaks down and they will see problems as their equipment breaks and can't be repaired.

They can get some things and probably some expertise from other countries who are still talking to Russia, but those countries don't have large pools of professionals they can draw from like the western countries, and they don't always have the parts Russia needs.

One area where this is becoming a crisis is in commercial aviation. They are flying some of their Airbus jets to Iran for maintenance, but Iran has very few qualified technicians so progress on any maintenance is slow. They have gotten around the mandatory maintenance by allowing their airliners to fly twice the miles mandated by western air authorities before maintenance. They still have half their commercial airliner fleet grounded for lack of spare parts.

Some of the parts that Russia needs are so common they can get them on the gray market quite easily. For example they have started using smart bombs again from their aircraft. They were completely out of them at the start of the war and it took until now to get them back into production. The bombs probably used some parts that were difficult to get under sanctions, but they redesigned them to use off the shelf parts like Chinese GPS modules with low tech processors and Chinese servo systems (for controlling the fins) that use some ancient processor that is off patent. The fact they were completely missing for almost a year and they are suddenly appearing in decent numbers is an indication they needed to retool manufacturing and it's working again.

Russia is adapting, but the sanctions are also biting them hard too. The longer the sanctions are on, the more difficult it's going to get for Russia to keep this up. In some areas they will successfully adapt and get needed hardware back into production, but other areas they are going to struggle badly to get much made.

It's a woman and the article calls her an officer, but she was enlisted. From another story I thought they said she was actively serving at Bremerton, WA when she started this activity, but she recently got out with an honorable discharge.

Just possessing the material is a crime, though one that usually results in a slap of the wrist if the person doesn't do anything with it. The fact she was disseminating it moves into espionage act territory. She's probably looking at a decade or more, possible court martial, and her separation changed from honorable to dishonorable discharge.
In this thread people otherwise very knowledgeable are failing tomunderstand how porous sanctions have been. The A330 going to Iran is an example. Parts from Dubai, Kuwait and Bahrain can and do go to Iran, as can aircraft technicians. We should
not be naive about such issues. The sanctions hurt, not as much as does the exodus of gualified people. The narrative that there is such desperation when most of Africa, South America and much if the Middle East and Indian Subcontinent are quite willing rodela in grey areas. The entrepôt activities in most of those countries have developed over centuries and have not stopped. Barter still works.

In this thread people otherwise very knowledgeable are failing tomunderstand how porous sanctions have been. The A330 going to Iran is an example. Parts from Dubai, Kuwait and Bahrain can and do go to Iran, as can aircraft technicians. We should
not be naive about such issues. The sanctions hurt, not as much as does the exodus of gualified people. The narrative that there is such desperation when most of Africa, South America and much if the Middle East and Indian Subcontinent are quite willing rodela in grey areas. The entrepôt activities in most of those countries have developed over centuries and have not stopped. Barter still works.

The story I saw on the Russian airliners said that there just were not enough technicians in Iran or other countries where they could get work done to do all the work that needs to be done. Half of Russia's airliners are now grounded.

The smaller the needs of a country are, the easier it is to get around sanctions. Iran has succeeded to a greater degree than Russia because it's a smaller country with smaller needs. To get from Moscow to Vladivostok the only options are a week on a train or flying. You can cross Iran in one determined day via ground transport. Iran needs some airliners, but their need is smaller than Russia's. They built their facilities to service their smaller airliner fleet.

Short of doing a military blockade, stopping Russia from getting some of what it needs is impossible, but the sanctions make the quality of what they are getting worse and makes it more expensive.

Electronic parts is one area. I do work for a company that does work in the electronic parts counterfeit detection market. Counterfeit electronic parts has been a problem for a while, but western companies have started testing and the shady businesses selling these parts had gone to ground. The war has opened up their markets again. It's estimated 40% of the electronic parts Russia is getting are counterfeit. And they are paying top rates for those parts.

Russia is wasting both money and time dealing with bad parts.

It doesn't stop them, but it makes it harder for them to conduct the war.

Another area is in chemicals. The people intercepting Russian communications have noted that there have been many complaints from Russian officers that the newly made ammunition they have been getting is not as good as the older ammunition. It appears the charges to propel the shells are weaker and shells aren't flying as far. That boils down to diluted chemicals being used in the manufacturing process.

They are most likely buying chemicals to make their ammunition from China. Russia's domestic chemistry industry is not that strong (other than petrochemicals). Some unscrupulous Chinese vendors are probably selling the Russians weaker chemicals and that is resulting in weaker artillery ammunition.

It's possible Russia is dealing with this through testing each batch or pushing back on their suppliers. But it's another area where they are having trouble because of the war and sanctions.

The sanctions aren't perfect and they can't be made perfect. Even a military blockade wouldn't stop commerce between China and Russia. But the sanctions can hurt Russia in a million different ways and they are doing that. Doing anything is more expensive and takes more time.

Kerch Strait Bridge: Built by Russia Blown Up by Ukraine

A discussion of the bridge with some interesting history and context but no new insights into the truck bombing.

As amazing as something might be on an engineering level, we can be happy to accept that something can be an overall force for bad in the world. And the Kerch Strait Bridge falls into that category. An impressive technical feat that's now being used to wage an unjust and genocidal war. A marvel of construction born from a seed of pure evil.

Money greases everything

Winter won

Money greases everything

Winter won

The Ukrainian people continue to impress me. Can't wait for the Russians to get kicked out so that they can transition to a thriving Country.

I've been reading about the (in)ability of Western countries that hold frozen Russian assets to confiscate the money for arming or rebuilding or reparations. Most of my reading has been USA based, but I get the impression that other countries face similar difficulties.

While not ideal, my tentative conclusion is that the Russian assets may be frozen until reparations are made by the Russians. Call it in perpetuity, so how different is that from confiscation as a practical matter ?

I've been reading about the (in)ability of Western countries that hold frozen Russian assets to confiscate the money for arming or rebuilding or reparations. Most of my reading has been USA based, but I get the impression that other countries face similar difficulties.

While not ideal, my tentative conclusion is that the Russian assets may be frozen until reparations are made by the Russians. Call it in perpetuity, so how different is that from confiscation as a practical matter ?
Using your terminology:

Once confiscated, they can redisbursed (to Ukraine).
If frozen, then not.
So in practice for Ukraine that is a big difference.

(and to a lesser degree, also to Russia, as frozen can potentially be regained, but not confiscated)

‘I just can’t block this out’ Punk singer ‘Chacha’ Ivanov spoke out in support of the Moskalev family at a recent concert

The 6th grader was interrogated by the FSB for her school drawing. How much more NAZI can you get then to persecute a 13 year old for drawing an anti-war picture in a school art class? Her father was sentenced to a 2 year prison term for his social media posts defending her.
Probably means her father was sentenced to die in Ukraine then.

In this case some of it can be chalked up to people being young and naive. The leaker was the oldest person in the Discord server at 21. Most were 15-17.

Teixeira strikes me as someone who is pretty insecure and liked being "big man on campus".

The US did eventually give back some Iranian assets that had been frozen since 1979 when Iran signed the nuclear deal. The money was frozen for more than 30 years and Iran only got it back when they signed the nuclear proliferation treaty. Then the Senate refused to ratify the treaty and the next president ripped it up pretty much guaranteeing Iran will be a nuclear power soon.

I'm not familiar with the specific laws regarding frozen assets, but I assume it's money held in trust and there are all sorts of laws in the US and other advanced democracies about handling money held in trust. One of the most common reasons lawyers lose their licenses and go to prison is borrowing or stealing money they are holding in trust. Michael Avenatti was one of the more recent high profile cases.

Living with a lawyer I hear about these cases all the time. When a lawyer gets caught with their hand in the cookie jar all the local lawyers hear about it within a week. Lawyers are major gossips about each other.

Just spitballing, but I would guess that to free up the frozen assets to give to Ukraine would require either a court order or a law passed by the legislature. In the meantime the frozen money can be held over Russia as a negotiation tool when the reserves that were held in Russia run low.

In this case some of it can be chalked up to people being young and naive. The leaker was the oldest person in the Discord server at 21. Most were 15-17.
I can't locate it now but one report said there was a late 20's to early 30's disgruntled former enlisted US military female in the chatroom that was friendly with Russia and copied files to other social media outlets.

• Informative
Reactions: SwedishAdvocate
We had a discussion a few weeks ago about what was an MBT and what was the first MBT. This video discusses that and an MBT is not any official designation, it just sort of evolved. Better engines that could move a heavy tank like a medium tank basically made heavy tanks obsolete.

• Informative
Reactions: madodel
I was wondering about the economic value (to the USA, e.g.) of holding assets of a belligerent. At a minimum, the belligerent cannot do harm with the money; nor can they profit from the money
I think one should consider them as being in escrow, so probably earning a few % return and that return stays within the escrow.

So no direct benefit to USA, or Ukraine, except that they are not available to Russia.

You have to remember that one day a court might unfreeze them and then they would be passed to Russia, along with accrued interest. There is in fact a very similar case to this (though by no means identical) between UK and Iran which dragged on for almost 40 years and has just been paid out by UK to Iran. Let us hope that a better outcome is achieved for Ukraine.

South Korea has stated they will start supplying weapons to Ukraine. SK has one of the largest 155mm reserve in the world.

I have a feeling the US is doing a lot of behind the scenes work on allies to get them to step up. It's like the thing about a duck, it looks serene on the surface just cruising along but under the surface there is a lot of activity.