Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Russia/Ukraine conflict

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
" ...we may look back on this as the first Great Information War. Except we're already 8 years in. "

I've been concerned about this since I first heard about it.

The ads could be slowed down with laws that only allow legitimate political organizations based and solely funded in the United States from buying political ads. And require audits of those organizations' books.

More aggressive and frequently run anti-bot engines could find a lot of the bot accounts.

The direct human fake accounts are tougher to kill. These are real humans in an office building in St Petersburg connected to servers in the target country with VPN spamming that country's social media with whatever the message of the day is. In the US it's usually themed around whatever the US based fake news people are ginning up. They give flank support to American trolls.

The book is almost 30 years old now, but there is a book by Richard Brodie called Virus of the Mind. It came out of a discussion he had one day in the Microsoft cafeteria with someone who was an expert on memes, which originally meant an idea that replicates itself from person to person. (Brodie was a key figure in the team that developed Microsoft Word.)

He said a lot of memes are relatively harmless like ad slogans. But an virus of the mind is a meme that causes harm. In the book he dedicated a whole chapter on how news coverage could get people panicking about a threat that hasn't changed in a long time (like the risk of someone getting killed by a shark), or a threat that doesn't exist.

Russia weaponized it with social media. They figured out how to crank up the R0 value for the meme.

Battery storage is coming along. ESS out of Oregon (stock ticker GWH) has dirt cheap batteries for stationary storage. They are working on ramping production right now.
So basically what I said, in the future😁. I am talking about a specific UK problem now in that we have virtually the same population as France on a land mass just less a third of the size. Now if we take Scotland out of the equation (possible independence) that’s 5.5mill or so less people but a third of the landmass.
So unlike countries like USA, Australia even Russia we don’t have masses of unpopulated real estate to site grid capable battery storage facilities nor huge solar parks either really🤷🏼‍♂️.

Anyway back on to topic I saw a news article that the Polish Migs to US has been turned down by Biden (no surprise there tbf)

And Russia fails to take air control

• Helpful
Reactions: SwedishAdvocate
As someone who works in offshore wind and electrical generation the push by a lot of governments to renewables is in my opinion, rushed.
Until they get a massive increase in interconnectors between nations in Europe at least (inc UK & Eire). 2020 renewables out produced fossil fuel electricity at around 43% of UK requirements. Unfortunately it is not reliable as an individual source locally (hence needing interconnection). Nuclear is a steady output but cannot easily be ramped up or down quickly to meet surges in demand, it provides the backbone of supply if you like. Gas turbines are much quicker to be adjusted but generally quite small output. Then of course in UK we have the famous “Eastenders” coffee break hydro generation where water is released from a dam at the top of a hill through turbines to power all the kettles after Eastenders or 1/2 time in the World Cup. This then gets pumped back up the hill overnight (on Octopus Go cheap rate🤣).
Basically renewables atm can only be part of the mix not the whole answer, until thing’s like tidal or wave generation becomes more viable.
The German government made a bit of a knee jerk reaction in shutting nuclear power off so quickly (again imo). Thereby leaving themselves open to Putin playing silly buggers with the gas supply. It would have been wiser with hindsight to draw down nuclear slowly as renewables became a more viable source. Not giving so much of the supply chain to Putin in the case of gas.
Mistakes have been made (probably continue to be made), however hopefully the EU, UK government’s will learn from this and diversify the mix better. This is of course until renewables become a much more viable source.

1. Gas turbines do not have to be "quite small". If you are used to teeny ones on offshore platforms etc (Solars, Tynes, Avons, GE Frame 5s, etc) they are relatively small, but the larger ones used onshore can get seriously quite big. Individual GT units can often be in the 300-500MW range so the generating plant as a whole is often in the 500-1500 MW range with two or three sets. *

2. Tidal or wave are unlikely to ever become viable except in a few niche cases. That ship has literally sailed.

3. Interconnectors are coming. Order books on the people I deal with in the HV space (typically 600-1,200 kV ....) are full for a decade, provided they can triple their production/manufacturing capacity every year ! (now where have I heard that before ?) However ...

4. ... By the time all those interconnectors arrive mass deployment of storage will be taking away some of the economic & technical rationale for the interconnectors, hence the interconnector suppliers being cautious about ramping their production capacity as they don't want to be left with stranded assets. (To keep it on topic, there is actually a fairly critical piece of the global supply chain for this interconnector stuff located in Ukraine. It was already struggling with some Russian-related issues even prior to this 2022 invasion. Despite them being our competitors I won't go into details, good luck to them.)

(I too have spent decades working in oil & gas, wind, solar, onshore, offshore, storage, HV, you name it .... none of which matters ... what matters is improving our understanding)

(* for fun, see A Brief History of GE Gas Turbines )

Last edited:
Battery storage is coming along. ESS out of Oregon (stock ticker GWH) has dirt cheap batteries for stationary storage. They are working on ramping production right now.

My partner was a little hair on fire when she read someone claim the Russian army was 900,000 in uniform. I knew that was the entire Russian military including air force and navy, and the special railroad transport service which numbers 30,000. What I found interesting when I looked for information on the service breakdown (couldn't find that) was that their officer corps number 225,000! Somewhere around 25% of the entire military is officers? WTH?

The US military has 18% officers and that's one the highest officer percentages in US history.
Why military officers are commanding fewer enlisted troops than ever before

The Russians are way too top heavy. All management and no workers.

Another thought, it's come to light the Russians are gathering their best troops for an anemic assault on Kyiv. (At least it looks anemic to me.) I would expect that probably includes the Marines who were originally tasked with taking Odesa. They probably don't have troops at sea anymore.

The Russian armed forces tend to use junior commissioned officers to fill the roles that Western armed forces use senior non-commissioned officers for. This is especially the case in the more technical areas. It has always been this way, at least since WW2.

How would the Russians be getting their marines off of those vessels in the Black Sea down south, and up to the north ready to assualt Kiev, along with their equipment ? The Russians simply do not have the logistics ability to do that. Those marines will either make a landing on the Black Sea coast, deship where they started back in Crimea and flow in by land to the southern or eastern front, or land near Maripol in Sea of Azov. Or (best) stay out at sea.

So basically what I said, in the future😁. I am talking about a specific UK problem now in that we have virtually the same population as France on a land mass just less a third of the size. Now if we take Scotland out of the equation (possible independence) that’s 5.5mill or so less people but a third of the landmass.
So unlike countries like USA, Australia even Russia we don’t have masses of unpopulated real estate to site grid capable battery storage facilities nor huge solar parks either really🤷🏼‍♂️.
If you do the calculations you discover that the necessary battery storage sites to give a country (like the UK) enough storage to work through the worst case situation of a mid-winter stationary high (cold, no wind, no sun) are about the same size as the existing land area devoted to power station complexes. Put differently it is a relatively small amount of land (even in the UK) and we already have that land set aside in exactly the same places we have HV grid connections going to/from. Finally redundant power stations have a use ! (often my office is in one).

The above is making the assumption that the storage would be focussed at centralised large-scale locations, and for the UK that would be approx 50-100 sites. As a thought experiment you can figure out that it is doable by thinking through the alternative situation if the storage were to be de-centralised to the end-user level. To do this think how many Tesla Powerwalls would be used to run your own house for one week, and whether you could find room for them. Most buildings/locations in the UK could absorb this and it would (again) be a relatively small fraction of each site/building. So scaling tells you that this is do-able either way. And that is for one of the most densely populated countries on the planet.

I've been concerned about this since I first heard about it.

The ads could be slowed down with laws that only allow legitimate political organizations based and solely funded in the United States from buying political ads. And require audits of those organizations' books.

More aggressive and frequently run anti-bot engines could find a lot of the bot accounts.

The direct human fake accounts are tougher to kill. These are real humans in an office building in St Petersburg connected to servers in the target country with VPN spamming that country's social media with whatever the message of the day is. In the US it's usually themed around whatever the US based fake news people are ginning up. They give flank support to American trolls.

The book is almost 30 years old now, but there is a book by Richard Brodie called Virus of the Mind. It came out of a discussion he had one day in the Microsoft cafeteria with someone who was an expert on memes, which originally meant an idea that replicates itself from person to person. (Brodie was a key figure in the team that developed Microsoft Word.)

He said a lot of memes are relatively harmless like ad slogans. But an virus of the mind is a meme that causes harm. In the book he dedicated a whole chapter on how news coverage could get people panicking about a threat that hasn't changed in a long time (like the risk of someone getting killed by a shark), or a threat that doesn't exist.

Russia weaponized it with social media. They figured out how to crank up the R0 value for the meme.
It is a lot more sophisticated than this. I run some social media networks. For many years we have been observing trollfarms 'curating' suites of 'safe' profiles. So (say) opening a FB account, joining a sewing club, then a yachting club, then a (etc). Then finally - after in some cases years of profile development - starting to make active use of those profiles one they have become insiduously inserted into their target networks as trusted agents. It appears that the Russian (and Chinese) trollmasters subcontract the development/curation task out to sub-contractors who are typically either located in, or managed by: India, Pakistan, Israel, Arab-states, Vietnam which is probabally a reflection of the economics of the failure rate of developing a profile to maturity. I have to say that the Facebook/Meta empire is deeply and cynically complicit in enabling this judging by the platform development decisions I have observed.

Not nipping this in the bud at an early stage has real costs - witness Trump, Brexit, Duharte, Orban, Le Pen, etc.

Anyway back on to topic I saw a news article that the Polish Migs to US has been turned down by Biden (no surprise there tbf)

And Russia fails to take air control

There was a YouTube video I saw a few years back by a British Physics professor (I think at Oxford) who ran the math and came to the conclusion that for a country like the UK, it was going to be impossible to completely leave fossil fuels behind, even with massive cutbacks in usage without adopting more nuclear power.

He did say that some countries with a lot of sun and open land might be able to convert entirely to solar and wind, but for the UK it was impossible. Even putting windmills everywhere possible. Windmills can't be on top of one another or they take power from the windmill close by.

The Russian armed forces tend to use junior commissioned officers to fill the roles that Western armed forces use senior non-commissioned officers for. This is especially the case in the more technical areas. It has always been this way, at least since WW2.

How would the Russians be getting their marines off of those vessels in the Black Sea down south, and up to the north ready to assualt Kiev, along with their equipment ? The Russians simply do not have the logistics ability to do that. Those marines will either make a landing on the Black Sea coast, deship where they started back in Crimea and flow in by land to the southern or eastern front, or land near Maripol in Sea of Azov. Or (best) stay out at sea.

They can offload them at one of their ports, put them on a train and they would be around the north side of Ukraine in less than a day. Then feed them into the front by putting them into a convoy to the front.

Though the Marines may have already been committed. Their vehicles use a 'V' symbol and a lot of knocked out vehicles with those symbols were seen in the north last week.

It is a lot more sophisticated than this. I run some social media networks. For many years we have been observing trollfarms 'curating' suites of 'safe' profiles. So (say) opening a FB account, joining a sewing club, then a yachting club, then a (etc). Then finally - after in some cases years of profile development - starting to make active use of those profiles one they have become insiduously inserted into their target networks as trusted agents. It appears that the Russian (and Chinese) trollmasters subcontract the development/curation task out to sub-contractors who are typically either located in, or managed by: India, Pakistan, Israel, Arab-states, Vietnam which is probabally a reflection of the economics of the failure rate of developing a profile to maturity. I have to say that the Facebook/Meta empire is deeply and cynically complicit in enabling this judging by the platform development decisions I have observed.

Not nipping this in the bud at an early stage has real costs - witness Trump, Brexit, Duharte, Orban, Le Pen, etc.

Yes, I've heard about the curated fake accounts. That's what I was talking about with the human managed accounts. If they are farming out that work to other countries, it might be possible to break some of those troll farms with the help of those county's governments. Now that Russia has shown itself to be as dangerous as it is, many countries are probably more willing to help now than 2 weeks ago.

To change the subject a bit, a quote from retired general Hertling:
"Amateur armies study tactics, pros study logistics."

I've been trying to find information on the Russian support apparatus. I found this article:
Feeding the Bear: A Closer Look at Russian Army Logistics and the Fait Accompli - War on the Rocks

Most of it is more focused on a hypothetical war with NATO, which I think is a Putin fantasy at this point, but the author goes into detail about how their supply network functions.

Their core supply unit is the material-technical support brigade. Each one is made up of 2X battalions of 150 cargo trucks with 50 trailers each and 260 special purpose trucks. That means a full strength brigade has 560 vehicles.

The Russians have a variety of trucks, but a common one is the Ural 4320 which is just shy of 25 feet long. If the convoy was single file and
each vehicle was spaces one truck length distance, the 40 mile convoy could contain 4224 Ural trucks. We know the convoy is three vehicles wide in places, but there are also some gaps longer than 25 feet and some vehicles longer than 25 feet, but just entertaining this math, that's over 7 support brigades.

The entire Russian army has 10 of these brigades spread across all the military districts. That convoy could contain 70% of all the support vehicles in the Russian army.

Also this assumes all the brigades were at full strength before the war began, which considering how poor the Russians have been performing, it's possible they didn't have enough trucks to fill out all 10 brigades with their full complement.

The article also points out that with the heavy use of rocket artillery by the Russians, that puts a heavy burden on their trucks to deliver enough rockets to keep them firing. One salvo from an MRLS requires an entire truck load of rockets. Fire three salvos a day requires three truck loads a day, per launcher.

The Russian army is built around defense of Russia where their units will usually have constant access to the rail network to stay supplied. Once they get beyond their rail network, their units are in supply trouble very quickly.

The Ukrainians knew this and destroyed the rail network at the border as the Russians rolled in. The Russians may be trying to fix the rail network, but the Ukrainians aren't going to make it easy for them.

@wdolson I might intervene just a sec. First, enjoying your post on the situation. Second, if @petit_bateau says physical space is not an issue...it is not an issue. Experts who say X can't be done abound. One of the most famous cases is sequencing a genome. The rough draft was published in 2000. In late 1980s (or thereabouts) one of the most famous scientist in the field of genetics gave a press conf where he described how he'd calculated the computing power required to sequence the gene and it would be impossible, a 200 year effort. 10 years later it was basically done. What gave? In this case the "expert" really didn't understand the computer industry and secondly the industry was evolving at significant rates. It wasn't that he was an idiot, it was that (though an expert on genetics) he was not competent to speak to the issue. I would suggest the physicist you reference may have been such a person. Understands energy in theory... the energy industry less so.

@wdolson I might intervene just a sec. First, enjoying your post on the situation. Second, if @petit_bateau says physical space is not an issue...it is not an issue. Experts who say X can't be done abound. One of the most famous cases is sequencing a genome. The rough draft was published in 2000. In late 1980s (or thereabouts) one of the most famous scientist in the field of genetics gave a press conf where he described how he'd calculated the computing power required to sequence the gene and it would be impossible, a 200 year effort. 10 years later it was basically done. What gave? In this case the "expert" really didn't understand the computer industry and secondly the industry was evolving at significant rates. It wasn't that he was an idiot, it was that (though an expert on genetics) he was not competent to speak to the issue. I would suggest the physicist you reference may have been such a person. Understands energy in theory... the energy industry less so.
There seem to be a lot of experts on here none of whom I know personally. Some seem to be experts in a lot of subject matter and I have no idea if they are an expert or just good at spouting rhetoric. To just shoot someone else down for stating an opinion seems pretty crappy to me.

Expert (Urban Dictionary definition)
A person who learns more and more about less and less until they know everything about very little—at which point, and in every context—they begin to give opinions and tell everyone what they should or should not do.

Or maybe jack of all trades master of none.

I’ve enjoyed this thread for the most but as an ex-squaddie I think it’s time to call Endex now.

Reactions: petit_bateau
There was a YouTube video I saw a few years back by a British Physics professor (I think at Oxford) who ran the math and came to the conclusion that for a country like the UK, it was going to be impossible to completely leave fossil fuels behind, even with massive cutbacks in usage without adopting more nuclear power.

They can offload them at one of their ports, put them on a train and they would be around the north side of Ukraine in less than a day. Then feed them into the front by putting them into a convoy to the front.

Though the Marines may have already been committed. Their vehicles use a 'V' symbol and a lot of knocked out vehicles with those symbols were seen in the north last week.......

1. That physics professor (Cambridge) was wrong on some things. I do wish I had $10 for each time people have told me I should read his book because it would explain to me why what I (and others) was trying to achieve in renewables (or BEVs for that matter) was doomed to fail. Unfortunately his work has been quoted many times by the anti-renewables people as a good reason why the world should stay on dino-juice. He is dead now so he cannot write an apologia.

2. Simply getting the ships safely into port and the troops etc offloaded would take one day. Getting them onto trains in the correct order would take another day. Then go look at a map of the Russian rail network, look up the capacity of the rail switching yards, look up the average speed of a Russian goods train, look up the headway between trains on Russian networks, look up the availability of railway wagons in Russia, think for a moment about the likely rail network congestion as you work your way anti-clockwise from Crimea around to (approx) the Belarus border .... and accept that it would take about a week to do properly (minimum !). There is a reason they say that WW1 started because of railway timetables, and they are not wrong. If you go back to my post #549 on this thread you will find a note I wrote here commenting that the Russians were going to experience difficulties with lateral troop movements (such as this suggestion of yours).

3. Yes, some marines units will likely be in the North since the beginning, but not a full-on redeployment.

4. I note the fact of what is happening, as far as I can observe them. I deliberately do not suggest (much) as to how the Russians might improve things (except for surrender / run away / make amends). If you look around the OsInt networks you will see similar caution and restraint.

Last edited:
Current Russian supply shock compared to previous ones:

D10F7A2D-185B-45D2-BEB3-044BBA41A00E.jpeg

This means Russia’s current oil exports are down by almost half, and they’re forced to sell at a $30 discount to the market price.

6.8mbpd x 365 x $70 = $173.7b rough oil revenue last year

3.8mbpd x 365 x ($125-$30) = $131.7b rough oil revenue now.

By my calcs, it takes roughly 20,000,000 EVs on the road to reduce global oil demand by about 1mbpd. EV sales should be about 7-8m this year, so that’s 0.35-0.4mbpd in demand destruction. Every year that number will get larger until the 2030s when oil demand is dropping by millions of barrels per day every year.

I suspect production growth in North America will be about 2mbpd this year at with prices like this, smashing past the 2019 peaks.

That leaves 0.6mbpd for the rest of the world to make up this year plus perhaps a million more for natural demand growth for prices to return to the ~$60 normal. Easily possible.

I suspect Russian oil exports will fall another 1.8mbpd next year to only 2mbpd. This could easily be made up (and then some) via NA production increases and EV demand destruction.

Then next year Russia will be exporting 2mbpd at probably $60-80. That’s plunges export revenues to $44-58b. Russia is boned.

Russia has also never made nearly as much money from gas exports as oil ($25-50b a year dependent on price) and there are crash programs to reduce Russian gas imports in Europe by about 50% next year.

Last edited:
I should add that the average demand growth for oil has been a little over a million barrels per day.

Remember the 20m EVs per mbpd?

Next year EV sales should be over 10m, which means we will be in the era of peak oil…demand! The natural demand for oil will only drop from here, until it’s only used as plane and boat fuel and chemical feedstock.