Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Russia/Ukraine conflict

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is a good article. Provides insight for those like myself who do not have battlefield experience. It’s focus is on the psychological effect of the ongoing war on the soldiers. A key point is the last post,
“One more thing...

Studies in combat show that units are more resilient & have the ability to better counter PTS, battle fatigue, or soldier's heart if they believe in what they're doing & have faith in their leaders.

In this fight, only one side has that. 11/11”

Google Translate understood it like a Talmud scholar. One interesting point is that the US DOD needs to approve the sale, since the tanks contain US components. At least we know that the tanks aren't going to either Russia or North Korea. 🤔

I’ve also seen these reports. One that caught my attention suggests there may be other weapons following. It would be good to see other sources for it. I hope it is the case.

Can’t post the tweet link for some reason. It was from Trent Telenko, and this is what he said,
“The world has changed.

And Israeli weapons for Ukraine will not be stopping with Merkava Mk2 and Mk3 tanks.

Israeli Spike fiber optic guided missiles are coming as well.”

A couple of Ukraine related items

Denys reports on the changes in the front lines. Reports of UAF doing a crossing of the Dneiper River near Nova Kakhovka, which was flooded by the dam collapse. Also Ukraine is testing a small cruise missile for launch from the Bayraktar drone. Also more on the salvage of vehicles from the armor column devastated last week.

This is a good article. Provides insight for those like myself who do not have battlefield experience. It’s focus is on the psychological effect of the ongoing war on the soldiers. A key point is the last post,
“One more thing...

Studies in combat show that units are more resilient & have the ability to better counter PTS, battle fatigue, or soldier's heart if they believe in what they're doing & have faith in their leaders.

In this fight, only one side has that. 11/11”

Apologies - when I posted this, it showed the embedded tweet, but now it has dropped. The article was from Mark Hertling, ditto the quote.

Perhaps I missed the explanation, but does anyone know why copy/pasting tweets is not working well anymore. Is it a limitation of twitter or an issue with TMC? Any ideas on how to get around it?

The discussion here is more signal than on Twitter, but Twitter does have very good individual posts; the replies to tweets on Twitter degrade quickly. I consider this forum to the best place to stay balanced on what is happening. Even the periodic trolling is a factor🤣.

Will Switzerland finally sell 25 Leopard 2 tanks back to Germany?

This is being understated, it seems. In fact Switzerland has been strictly neutral since 1815, and has tried to be so since 1515/1516, not really successful until post Napoleon in 1815. Since the Russian invasion of Ukraine Switzerland has cooperated with Russia sanctions. This, however, represents a delicate but unmistakable military assistance to Ukraine.

This is unprecedented in modern times. Even in WWII Switzerland avoided overt anti-Axis positions, in large part because Swiss citizens were largely split in their positions on linguistic lines. This is quite different.
It seems to be covered relatively little; is that by design?

And my Hebrew is non-existent... :cool:

But allegedly...

One Israeli media 'outlet' claims that two countries are buying about ~200+ Merkava 2 and 3 tanks no longer in use by the Israeli Armed Forces. One of those countries is allegedly a European country. The tank has never been exported before, and this could be some kind of Ukrainian purchase, or two other countries that are buying them and then sending them to Ukraine.

A google translate:

The cost is expected to be tens of millions of dollars, or a few hundred thousand euros per tank – therefore rather cheap compared to various Western tanks. The Merkava Mark 2 has a 105 mm main cannon and the Merkava Mark 3 has a 120 mm (main cannon).

The Merkava is also unique in its design in that it has the engine at the front, which leads to higher survivability for the crew who, in addition to frontal armor, also have an engine between them and the enemy. The drive wheels are therefore located at the front as on an IFV [?]. In addition, there is a modular compartment with a rear door behind the turret, which can either be used as an extended ammunition magazine, to accommodate some troops or for evacuation of wounded from the battlefield.

The Merkava tank is [allegedly] widely considered to have the best crew survivability in the world. A contributing factor is that the rear doors can be used for evacuation backwards if the tank is knocked out.

It's however not certain that these tanks are intended for battle in Ukraine. It could also be that some other European country quickly needs to replace the tanks they have sent to Ukraine.

A strong point in favor of the Merkava for Ukraine is that it was designed specifically to operate in densely populated areas, as well as in unstable ground. A good friend commanded one of those (Mk 1)in the 1982 Lebanon War. They've been updated is major respects since then. I wonder how much upgrading might be done to the Mk 2 and 3 prior to sending to Ukraine. The newest 'Barak' features would be tremendous for the tech-savvy Ukrainians.

The "more to come" seems to suggest some incipient improvement in Israeli/US government relationships. The military relationships have been rather warmer than have the political ones, so it seems.

To clarify, my perspective comes from general conversations with an old friend, plus a little searching. Despite that, I believe these could be very, very useful, more so than others being supplied.
The 'what's next' will be very interesting.

This is well worth reading. In essence now that Russia is in a fixed position defensive posture it has been able to achieve a considerable degree of force/equipment/systems integration in an effective manner. In order to counter this Ukraine needs to crack the pie crust and get the Russians on the move so as to negate the improvements the Russians have made. But because of the improvements on the Russian side this will not be easy.

Russia may view Belarus as Russian territory, but Belarus declared its independence in 1991. Belarus and the rest of the world consider it as a sovereign country.
Yes. Comrade, perhaps I not clear enough, having forget make placement ;). My poor apologies at attempt make bad joke Russian twisted perspectives.

Yes. Comrade, perhaps I not clear enough, having forget make placement ;). My poor apologies at attempt make bad joke Russian twisted perspectives.
Tovarishch, ya ponyal ochen xorosho. Otlichnaya shutka. V luchshikh shutkak yest' dolya pravdy.

Roughly translated - Comrade, I understood very well. Great joke. Best jokes have a drop of truth.