Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Russia/Ukraine conflict

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Numerous reliable media outlets reporting a widespread failure of the Russian internet involving .ru domains.

“A technical problem has arisen affecting the .ru zone associated with the global DNSSEC infrastructure,” the .RU/.Рф Domain Coordination Center said in a statement to St. Petersburg-based news outlet Fontanka.

Mass Blackout Takes Russian Internet Offline - The Moscow Times

I presume the Cuba rumour was derived from this: Put nuclear weapons in Cuba – Russian MP

IMO we should refrain here from just copying and pasting 'breaking news' unless we've carried out due diligence first. The Russian misinformation machines are working overtime currently. No names, you know who you are.

Not powerful enough apparently. We still can't get any new aid passed.

I don't read it that way. The military industrial complex is not interested in a short, decisive war. To maximize profits, they would be most keen on a drawn out war that does not put pressure on them to invest in new production. So long as their present industrial capacity is maxed out and they can charge what the market will bear, their bought politicians are doing their job just fine.

I don't read it that way. The military industrial complex is not interested in a short, decisive war. To maximize profits, they would be most keen on a drawn out war that does not put pressure on them to invest in new production. So long as their present industrial capacity is maxed out and they can charge what the market will bear, their bought politicians are doing their job just fine.

In 2023 the defense sector put in 138 million in lobbying. The health sector put in 739 million.

The amount of influence that the defense sector puts into the government isn't as big as a lot of people think it is.

Reactions: replicant
I don't really see how the countries in the West are going to meet Ukraine's artillery shell needs, as well as replenish their own artillery shell stocks without increasing production, so to me it seems like there are quite a lot of factors at play here. And if greed happens to be one of them then so be it.

And opposition towards new airports doesn't seem to be all that far separated from "a war-time mobilization to reduce or dependence on fossil fuels"...

But I do of course agree with the rest.

Defense contractors don't want to have yo-yoing demand for their output. Spending a lot of money to build a new factory to make more ammunition and then having to close it down in three years is bad economy. Defense contractors want to see a long term demand before they are going to be willing to commit to expanded production.

For artillery ammunition, the demand probably is there. Western countries are now realizing that they are going to have to maintain a larger stock of artillery ammunition in peacetime so they will be expanding their own stockpiles as demand in Ukraine declines.

This war is showing the world that the face of warfare has changed. It's uncertain whether a Russian style of air defense could shut down NATO air or not, but if NATO could not use its air assets to their full extent, the job aircraft do has to be replaced by ground based solutions and more artillery will be required. The war is also showing that there is virtually no level of artillery ammunition that could be considered "enough".

I suspect NATO is looking at how to expand their land based capabilities and, of course, the best way to counter drones.

It doesn't have much to do with making defense contractors rich. It's more about a difference in priorities between Washington and Kyiv.

Kyiv's maximalist goals are to reclaim all lost territories and bring Putin to justice.

Washington's goals are to prevent Russia from winning and not get us involved in a war.

There's a lot of overlap between these goals but it's not quite the same thing.

Biden is doing his job here. He's the president of the US. So I can't fault him for it. Personally if it were me I'd give Ukraine everything they needed as fast as they could absorb it. But then again I'm one of those crazy people who believe we should be using our power for good in the world.

For good or bad, the Russians have declared various things as lines in the sand that if crossed, they will expand the war. Those lines were eventually crossed and they did not expand the war. It's becoming increasingly obvious that Russia is incapable of expanding the war. Everything they can produce is going into Ukraine with minimal results. Expanding the war would break the back of their military.

But western leaders were cautious early in the war because calling Russia's bluff and being wrong had extremely bad consequences.

Where's the source? Not on Sky News. Can't find a source anywhere else.

The story is now gone from Twitter.

Re: GLSDB

That would be tomorrow...

This is good news. These bombs are cheap and easy to make. Once production gets going, Ukraine can get a lot of them.

The defense industry actually contributes proportionately less in this regard.

Things in Washington have also been chaotic with the old alliances between defense contractors and the politicians changing. The Republican party was made up of a tripartite pact of interests: religious conservatives, fiscal conservatives, and those who were very pro-defense. The Democrats were generally less enthusiastic about defense, but during the cold war went along with it. A bit less so since the cold war ended.

Over the last 8 years the Republicans have had a rising faction of isolationists who really don't want to spend anything on the military and want to shrink US presence outside the US. The pro-defense faction still is still there, a number of them are in the Senate, but they have been largely silenced.

The Democrats are evolving into the pro-defense party, but they are going there reluctantly and there is a faction that is not thrilled with anything defense related. Defense contractors have found it difficult to find a friendly ear in Congress.