Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Russia/Ukraine conflict

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any clues about Twitter deplatforming Ukraine-related stuff? Russian hacking?

It appears the problem is new code to try and root out bot accounts. The same code flagged millions of users in Asia-Pacific a few days ago. Apparently it generates a lot of false positives and today it flagged all mobile users in Ukraine as bots. This is what happens when code is pushed out too fast.

Basically, no.

Ukraine started the war with a variety of medium & long range surface-to-air (SAM) missile systems that were ex-Soviet. The longest range of these was the S-300 system, specifically the S-300PT, S-300PS, S-300PMU, S-300V1. If you look at the wiki article (link below) and study the family tree of the development of the S300 family, you will note that these are all earlier models in the S-300 with technology that is typically ex-1980s era Soviet. If you then look at the performance table you will appreciate that there is little or no utility against ballistic missile targets. And Ukraine does not have many of them. And at best the 'bubble' that might be defended by one system is maybe 20km or so radius. Therefore in practical terms Ukraine has somewhere between negligible and no defence against ballistic missiles.

(They have done some re-generation of their S300 systems since the Russian invasion of 2014, and some rather good indigenous upgrades, but the primary focus has been on anti-aircraft/cruise missile, not anti-ballistic missile).

Even the media-darling the Patriot system is not perfect, nor is the European equivalent (PAAMs with Aster 30). These are very costly and sophisticated systems and it is going to be a very big decision if the West starts selling these to Ukraine. Personally I think it more likely that the West would first sell things like F16/etc than these things. Such aircraft would give Ukraine a real opportunity to first gain localised air control, then go after the Russian launchers, in a much more cost-effective manner. Anyway here are some further links to give you a flavour.

And the UK has now signed for the Aster 30 block 1 production with the full ABM upgrade. There is about 30+ years of history to get to this place. Big stuff coming down one's funnel very fast at a steep angle has long been a worry.

...] I never implied they were running the government. A minor party capturing 20% of parliament is an indication that the primary cause of that party is striking resonance with a large enough majority of the population that it should be concerning to anyone watching political trends. Where the US is now didn't happen overnight. It's been 30 years in the making. [My underline.]

The US has always had the extremes like the members of Congress that make the news, but they tended to just protest and join fringe groups that had no political power. Now some of those very fringe characters are in a position to make laws and there are very vocal people in media positions who support them. [...

This in nothing unique for Sweden in any way. Very similar political processes have occurred in both Denmark and Norway X amount of years ago. Sweden is just lagging behind for various reasons. There are also a similar party in the Netherland for example. But in both Denmark and Norway both the parties that are similar to the Sweden Democrats have since lost in popularity...

And these countries including Sweden aren't the US. And the issues in Sweden as an example aren't the same as in the US. For one thing Sweden is a mostly secular country when it comes to ethnic Swedes. Everything religious is for the most part unanimously and openly ridiculed. Think Monty Python's Life of Brian but on steroids.

Except for Islam of course as John Cleese explains pretty well...
...] The British comedian then goes on to say suggest that the reason you can't make jokes about Muslims is because 'they'll kill you'.

'Who are the people you can't make jokes about?' he asks Maher who instantly responds: 'Muslims'

'Try that,' he adds. 'See what your Twitter feed says.'

A laughing Cleese responds: 'That's not saying that you can't, it just means that they'll kill you. Theoretically you could.'

The comedian added: 'The problem is if you make jokes about people who are going to kill you, there is a sort of tendency to hold back a little isn't there?' [...

...which in turn has been illustrated several times in incidents like these:

So what are the issues in Sweden? The main ones are Crime and Economics.

Crime

The problem of "clan gangs" has made headlines since early September, when deputy police chief Mats Lofving told Swedish Radio there were at least 40 family-based criminal gangs in Sweden. [My bold.]

"Far from everyone wants to be a part of Swedish society," Lofving said, adding these families had come to Sweden solely for the purpose of committing crime, bringing with them their own parallel systems of government.

Lofving also said these families were making their way into business and politics in order to wield more formal influence, primarily in disadvantaged suburbs, many of which have a large proportion of residents with immigrant backgrounds.

The 4(?) people convicted for this were all residing in Sweden.

Not directly linked to the 2010 plot above. 5 were killed and 14 seriously injured:

Here's an 'incident' where Sweden was VERY, VERY lucky. That bomb only killed the terrorist but would have killed some 80 people and seriously wounded another ~200 if it had worked. Only pure luck prevented that mass murder...

Hard to find good sources in English about this, but unfortunately this is another huge problem. The links are about Norway and Germany, but the same basic problem exists in both Sweden and Denmark for example.

And then there's stuff like this:

And there are unfortunately a lot more honor killings than just those two...

Economics

This far immigration in Sweden has been a substantial cost to the Swedish economy. One part of that is probably that very few people (if any) can speak Swedish when they come here. If English was Sweden's official language that would most likely help...

Full disclosure

I've never voted for the Sweden Democrats myself. But that doesn't mean that I don't understand that there unfortunately does exist very real problems here...

And

Now please... You were the one that brought up Sweden and for whatever reason made me feel compelled 'to make certain corrections'... If you are going to continue posting about Sweden I suggest you start some other thread and continue there instead. If you link to it from this thread I'll see it. Not saying I'll continue to respond though...

Last edited:
It appears the problem is new code to try and root out bot accounts. The same code flagged millions of users in Asia-Pacific a few days ago. Apparently it generates a lot of false positives and today it flagged all mobile users in Ukraine as bots. This is what happens when code is pushed out too fast.

It will get fixed. Elon warned everyone that on Twitter changes they will "push fast, fail fast". Code like this is being used to replace employees that did moderation, it will get updated ASAP and false positives taken care of.

Why don't we table the fairly off topic on parliamentary systems of govt. Just a suggestion, not trying to moderate.

The original question was post war what then russia? Frankly who knows? Russians have lots to decide and think about. Since what then is built first around how now proceeds maybe lets keep to what now.

USA supplying Patriot systems to Ukraine would, as @petit_bateau points out, be a big game changer. That's a large envelope and while not a perfect system it would say USA is going to support Ukraine to a considerable extent. This, not perfect but good, system is very expensive and high profile. The battery alone is about a billion USD. Missles are 3 each. This dwarfs the costs of the entire HIMARS fleet, each was 5 million or so when we purchased them. It's a big high stakes statement.

Abrams and f16s next please. Especially since the f16 will literally rust away on a salt flat.
I see the call for F16s a lot but there is a significant problem with this. The planes are relatively easy to fly and Ukrainian pilots could literally use Digital Combat Simulator (DCS) to get 3/4s of the way there with transition training. The problem is in supporting the hardware. The Eastern Block and US mentality on hardware design and support is radically different. You can work on a Mig/SU with a hammer, screw driver and adjustable wrench (I have) if needed. They were literally designed to be very robust and to be worked on by any farm boy conscript. The US hardware is a completely different animal and a real PITA to support both from a technical level and a maintenance hour per flight hour standpoint. It will not be plug and play and would likely take giving Ukraine access to US depot level service and support in Europe.

Don't remember seeing this in the thread:

NATO’s secretary general warns that a ‘full blown war’ with Russia is ‘a real possibility.’​

“If things go wrong, they can go horribly wrong,” Jens Stoltenberg said in an interview published on Friday.

Dec. 9, 2022

NATO’s secretary general warned on Friday that Russia’s war in Ukraine could expand into a wider war with the Atlantic alliance. [...

And this assessment is shared by the Supreme Commander of the Swedish Armed Forces (in Swedish):

And this assessment is shared by the Supreme Commander of the Swedish Armed Forces (in Swedish):

My Swedish is rusty

This in nothing unique for Sweden in any way. Very similar political processes have occurred in both Denmark and Norway X amount of years ago. Sweden is just lagging behind for various reasons. There are also a similar party in the Netherland for example. But in both Denmark and Norway both the parties that are similar to the Sweden Democrats have since lost in popularity...

And these countries including Sweden aren't the US. And the issues in Sweden as an example aren't the same as in the US. For one thing Sweden is a mostly secular country when it comes to ethnic Swedes. Everything religious is for the most part unanimously and openly ridiculed. Think Monty Python's Life of Brian but on steroids.

Except for Islam of course as John Cleese explains pretty well...

...which in turn has been illustrated several times in incidents like these:

So what are the issues in Sweden? The main ones are Crime and Economics.

Crime

The 4(?) people convicted for this were all residing in Sweden.

Not directly linked to the 2010 plot above. 5 were killed and 14 seriously injured:

Here's an 'incident' where Sweden was VERY, VERY lucky. That bomb only killed the terrorist but would have killed some 80 people and seriously wounded another ~200 if it had worked. Only pure luck prevented that mass murder...

Hard to find good sources in English about this, but unfortunately this is another huge problem. The links are about Norway and Germany, but the same basic problem exists in both Sweden and Denmark for example.

And then there's stuff like this:

And there are unfortunately a lot more honor killings than just those two...

Economics

This far immigration in Sweden has been a substantial cost to the Swedish economy. One part of that is probably that very few people (if any) can speak Swedish when they come here. If English was Sweden's official language that would most likely help...

Full disclosure

I've never voted for the Sweden Democrats myself. But that doesn't mean that I don't understand that there unfortunately does exist very real problems here...

And

Now please... You were the one that brought up Sweden and for whatever reason made me feel compelled 'to make certain corrections'... If you are going to continue posting about Sweden I suggest you start some other thread and continue there instead. If you link to it from this thread I'll see it. Not saying I'll continue to respond though...

I'm fully aware that Europe, especially western Europe is much more secular than the US. The concerns you talked about are big in the US too. The stories you linked mostly have their equivalents in the US domestic media. But there has been at least one call to drop this and I'm fine with that.

I was talking about the difficulty comparing politics from one country to another. Russia is generally much more conservative than the United States on most issues. Even the liberals in Russia are pretty conservative. I was reading something from an ex-pat Russian who has had discussions with Navalny's people on social media and he pointed out that while Navalny has mostly been quiet about the war in Ukraine (he is in prison after all), many of his close supporters are in favor of Russia putting the empire back together again.

If by some miracle Navalny came out of prison like Nelson Mandella and became president, it would probably not become the liberalization of Russia that many hoped. Some things would probably get better, but many in the west would probably be disappointed in how little Russia did improve.

I've thought this was a possibility from the start of the war. I think it's much more likely from an accident than from deliberate action. For example NATO surveillance aircraft are flying around the fringes of the war zone all the time and the Russians have taken to launching extreme long range air to air missiles against Ukrainian aircraft. A Russian pilot could mistakenly shoot down an AWACS at long range which would definitely be an attack on a NATO military.

If something happened to Putin and he got replaced by a more aggressive war hawk who stupidly thinks he can scare off NATO by attacking one of the NATO eastern allies or setting off nuclear weapons in Ukraine could trigger article 5.

There are nutty people in Putin's circle who believe NATO is all bluster and if Russia gave them a bloody nose they would run away. It would be a huge mistake on Russia's part, but that's what they believe.

Russia's history of wars has mostly been with much weaker opponents who fold seeing that resistance is pointless when the Russians make an example of some of their people. It's an old Mongol strategy. It has worked very poorly for Russia when they were up against an opponent who had the means to fight back. But they are stuck in that mindset which is why they continue to attack Ukrainian infrastructure.

Putin knows the west well enough to understand that NATO is not going to run away if the Russians attack them, which is why he has been careful not to trigger article 5. But Putin is more worldly than many of his underlings who only understand the historical Russian strategy of war.

Wow : Azerbaijan has handed 3 Mig 29's over to Ukraine ! That's impressive. After this conflict is over the Ukraine-Georgia-Azerbaijan corridor is going to pose a problem for Russia unless Russia changes its behaviour.

I've been reading that Russia's attempt to have their own NATO has been fraying at the edges the last few months. Azerbaijan appears to be signalling to Russia that it's done with the alliance.

I've been reading that Russia's attempt to have their own NATO has been fraying at the edges the last few months. Azerbaijan appears to be signalling to Russia that it's done with the alliance.
Azerbaijan is not in the CSTO.

The Azeris were in from 1994 (a couple of year's after Russia set up the CSTO) until 1999 (when the Azeris left). The Azeris left in 1999 at the same time as Georgia and Uzbekistan. The reasons were obvious and the evidence was not very far along the Caucasus. See OSCE if you are unsure of background.

====

Can I gently suggest the USA-colleagues please stop trying to explain European socio-politics to the rest of us, especially to the many of us who actually live here.

Soon on the menu appears to be JDAMs (Joint Direct Attack Munitions).

According to the WaPo, the US is planning to send hardware kits that includes GPS which converts unguided aerial munitions into “smart bombs”. Reportedly these can be fitted onto many different weapons, even bombs up to 2,000 pounds. It is unclear if plans would be for JDAMs to be used on aircraft or ground-based systems. If aircraft, this might mean upgrading Soviet-era MiG jets.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/2022/12/14/ukraine-smart-bomb-jdams/

The Azeris were in from 1994 (a couple of year's after Russia set up the CSTO) until 1999 (when the Azeris left). The Azeris left in 1999 at the same time as Georgia and Uzbekistan. The reasons were obvious and the evidence was not very far along the Caucasus. See OSCE if you are unsure of background.

====

Can I gently suggest the USA-colleagues please stop trying to explain European socio-politics to the rest of us, especially to the many of us who actually live here.
Well yes. Yes I think that's about overdue.

Reactions: SwedishAdvocate

I though Azerbaijan was in CTSO. My bad.

====

Sorry the discussion got out of hand.

====

I agree but we need your input as well as other Europeans recognizing that there are many points of view. For example I have extreme difficulty getting my mind around Israel issues without my biases toward Jewish history and people. We in the USA need to learn from not only you but others in Europe that may disagree. I say this with all admiration for the Nordic States

I agree but we need your input as well as other Europeans recognizing that there are many points of view. For example I have extreme difficulty getting my mind around Israel issues without my biases toward Jewish history and people. We in the USA need to learn from not only you but others in Europe that may disagree. I say this with all admiration for the Nordic States
OK.

By the way I'm not in the Nordic/Scandis. I'm a British European :) but over the years I've lived many places, and I am not a stranger to Israel either.

Only way to defeat them is to kill them before launch.

... One missile strike destroying them will cause tremendous consernation.
I would add, 'to the world'. That in no way alters the reality that Russian military targets within Russian borders are explicitly legitimate under international law. Russia is the aggressor, but destroying cultural patrimony is a bad idea and illegal even though the Russians are doing that. The actual cause is that following the Mongol example ends out with extreme prejudice. Keeping those attacks strictly military works.

Historically the Geneva Conventions, whatever version, have been honored only sporadically by all parties. Ukraine can be the standout with integrity.