Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Russia/Ukraine conflict

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure what power the Allies have over Kyrgyzstan to stop this.

In Central Asia, a hidden pipeline supplies Russia with banned tech
You cannot stop arbitrage, it's a force of (economic) nature. Everything has a price so long as Russia can afford to pay.
Mainly diplomatic pressure, usually with the "carrot" being aid.
The US gave $39M in aid in 2022.
www.foreignassistance.gov/cd/kyrgyzstan

The typical method outside of this is sanctions on specific companies that do business, but if those companies don't have much direct western connections, it may be hard to be effective.

Of course this type of method does allow for the other side to simply offer the same or more aid. There's been plenty of diplomacy battles of this sort.

Wagner Reveals Massive Death Toll Figures for Mercenaries Fighting in Ukraine

A Wagner mercenary fighting in Ukraine had only a 1-in-5 chance of making it through unscathed, according to the latest figures.

The unverified numbers, posted on Telegram by several Wagner-affiliated channels, claim that in all operations from the start of Russia’s full-scale invasion up until the “capture of Bakhmut” on May 20:

· Wagner had 78,000 thousand fighters in total.

· 49,000 of these were convicts.

· 22,000 were killed.

· 40,000 wounded

I agree - compelling video, well produced. It was heavily edited/non-linear, so I think there were a couple of things we have to infer.

From what I gathered, the 1st line of defense was heavily shelled, causing them to flee, and it sounded like these 6 were the ones that made it to this 2nd trench. That, or these were reserves? It wasn't clear. One soldier mentioned he wasn't going to say how many soldiers were there - and I think he's referring to that original trench. Could have been high casualties, and it sounded like many got mowed down in the retreat.

It was interesting that it sounded like this UA infantry unit was quickly digging their own trench in secret, surprising the 'orcs' and evading drone detection - timelines were vague with that, too.

But definitely a high quality mini-documentary/recruitment video ("drone operators are so important", "infantry is the backbone of the army" etc), but also shows some of the adrenaline/fear a front line soldier goes through when storming a trench.

Incidentally, barbed wire was also very conspicuously absent...

I don't think the Ukrainians have reached the second line of trenches in most areas. Russia has been throwing a lot of troops into keeping Ukraine from getting to the trenchlines. I suspect that a lot of troops that were supposed to be in the trenches were thrown into these fruitless counterattacks and were used up: killed, injured, or just used up their equipment.

I have read elsewhere that the Ukrainians have rarely found a trench with more than a handful of people in them. The number in the article was about 2-3 men per Km of trench.

transitioning to a post-Putin Russia, past analogues

Elite CCP Power Struggles : “We need to be extraordinarily careful when we’re looking at those types of material and be sensitive to just how much we don’t know.”

Joseph Torigian’s Prestige, Manipulation, and Coercion: Elite Power Struggles in The Soviet Union and China After Stalin and Mao is one of my favorite China books. Books that deeply engage with both Soviet and CCP primary sources around elite politics basically never come out nowadays.

He puts forward convincing revisionist interpretations of Khrushchev’s triumph after Stalin’s death, had me reconsider my conception of the Gang of Four after Mao’s death, and made me feel for Hua Guofeng getting done dirty by Deng. His new model of how power transitions really work in authoritarian countries with weak institutions left me more scared than hopeful for whatever happens once Xi exits stage left.

With all the drama around Qin Gang and Prigozhin in recent weeks, I figured this would be a good week to run our interview [transcript].

In communist countries, the Polit Bureau (or whatever their country called it) was technically in charge of the country and the head of state was just the head of the Polit Bureau. This gave the government a transition system when a leader got to their pull date or died. I can't think of a communist country that went through any kind of violence when a leader died.

Communist leaders usually ruled like dictators, but because of this mechanism there was a way to replace them.

In a straight up dictatorship there is no replacement mechanism. The dictator usually came to power in some unusual way, or they came to power in a legal way, then changed the rules to stay in power. These countries don't have any kind of system to replace the dictator.

I saw an interview with a woman who had written a book on 20th and 21st century dictatorships and she said that universally whenever there was a non-communist dictator their system rarely survived more than about 5 years after their death. Usually their political party unraveled after their death and ended up on the trash heap of history.

China still has the CCP which will pick Xi's successor when he goes as long as China's government doesn't fall apart first. China has a tradition of ruling dynasties ruling under "the mandate of heaven". The legend goes that when the spirits think well of a ruling dynasty, China enjoys a good economy, good weather, and very little social unrest. But when the spirits withdraw their blessing on the dynasty the economy goes bad, the weather turns bad, and there is a lot of social unrest.

In the last few years Chinese have been talking among themselves about the mandate of heaven being withdrawn from the communist party. This I've heard from some westerners who have lived in China and have reported on life there. Quite a few of these people have now left China and don't have direct experience anymore. The Chinese government started cracking down on westerners in the country telling the world about these things. People in China are circumspect about putting these things on Chinese social media because they know the censorship police will come down on them, but people do talk about it one on one.

The Soviet Union had a Polit Bureau to pick a new leader, but modern Russia doesn't. There is no clear cut successor to Putin and Putin has insured that anyone who has any power in the country is completely loyal to him and usually an idiot. Replacing Putin is going to be difficult. Anyone with the strength to rule Russia with the ability of Putin fell out a window a long time ago.

Disabling Java Script works for me. You don't get any pictures though.

I have a plug-in called No-Script that allows you to turn on/off individual scripts on a website by website basis. If you turn off the WaPo script on that site, articles load fine but the pictures are blurred out.

It's also handy for disabling some global tracking scripts like facebook and doubleclick.

I don't think the Ukrainians have reached the second line of trenches in most areas. Russia has been throwing a lot of troops into keeping Ukraine from getting to the trenchlines. I suspect that a lot of troops that were supposed to be in the trenches were thrown into these fruitless counterattacks and were used up: killed, injured, or just used up their equipment.

I have read elsewhere that the Ukrainians have rarely found a trench with more than a handful of people in them. The number in the article was about 2-3 men per Km of trench.

That's one reason I found that anecdata from that video interesting and a possible counter-argument. In that video, the trench line was short, less than 1/10 kilometer, and had 6 guys.

I'm not sure what counts as 'second line', these guys fell back to a safer position, but maybe that would still be considered part of the front line.

If the reports of decimated front lines are not quite accurate, that would help explain the slowish progress of moving forward. If all the trench fighting is roughly like this video, it would make sense that it's going slow.

Also worth noting that the casualty rate has been at over 500/day for weeks now, which suggests some tough fighting.

I think in this case, I'd put more credence on leaked russian video and results, because their OpSec is terrible, and any successes that they have are crowed about endlessly on their media. So the lack of crowing is a 'dog that didn't bark' scenario and suggests that things are going badly for the orc army.

Also worth noting that the casualty rate has been at over 500/day for weeks now, which suggests some tough fighting.
At present destroyed artillery equipment/day is probably the best indicator of progress, that seems to be mostly what this phase of the counteroffensive is about.

Ukraine hopes to achieve sufficient numerical artillery superiority somewhere, to breakthrough, and start to take territory more rapidly via manoeuvrer. We will only see a mass capture of Russians if this rapid gain phase kicks off.

While we are in the attrition phase, it is a slow and brutal grind for both sides. No one knows how long the attrition phase will last, but neither side seems prepared to offer concessions.

Essentially the only way the war will ends is if Putin is replaced as leader, or if Ukraine makes rapid gains, which also probably results in Putin being replaced.

We could have rapid Ukrainian success at anytime, or I may be saying exactly the same thing in one year's time.

My only observation is the stipulation that “most people have at least two cell phones”.

My immediate contacts in my cohort only own and operate one mobile phone at a time (many of us have old ones in junk drawers, but they don’t have SIM cards).

Edit: just seen the chart @petit_bateau posted showing Japan and Russia having a higher number of subscriptions per resident.
In many countries and for frequent travelers between countries multiple phones and phones with multiple sims are both ubiquitous. Kallfelz the Russians I worked with had more than two, normally one work, one personal and at least one other. FWIW so do I, and both of mine has two sims. Very common whether statistics reflect that or not.

For those unable to read the paywalled The Telegraph(UK newspaper) article, you can read it with the Pocket app

Quite some spin there, he should join this thread instead of posting on a journalistic pedestal.

That video is very impressive. Good work from the UKR press office too, to show what is happening during the 'slow' counter-offensive. Good timing, and an actually good response. This is professionally produced, it has a storyline with flashback vignettes. This is not the usual twitter video dumps. Enable the ClosedCaptioning to get English subtitles.

Lots of interesting anecdata from the video-

that trench line had 6 orcs in it. I know next to nothing here, but that doesn't seem like full strength, but also not the expected meager resources we've been expecting. That trench line had 4 firing lines, and one surveillance spot, so seems like it was fully manned? At the start the commander talks about two groups being there, not one. Which suggests perhaps two groups of three?

those guys were fully armed, not short on ammo, and even had a couple of higher caliber weapons like RPGs, grenade launchers, anti-tank weapons, and the PKP submachine gun trophy. This is front line people, but they at least were not starving to death and out of ammo. I don't know guns, but the UKR guy who got the AKMS was very excited to get that.

they didn't give up, and fought pretty hard. Only one guy surrendered, and they talked about another orc who was smart and tough to beat.

orc morale did seem bad enough that they broke and ran from the first line of defense. The second line they may have felt they had no choice but to fight.

sooo many mines. Complete luck the UKR did not fall into some.

impressive UKR results for infantry acting as stormtroopers. One injured while killing 5 orcs. The UKR troops only had 7 guys against 6 orcs and it was nearly a clean sweep.

extremely impressive UKR Operational Security- we see almost nothing of what is happening. Every person in the field has a camera on them, every commander has a GoPro, and every fight has drones overhead. And we see almost nothing leak from them.

I agree - compelling video, well produced. It was heavily edited/non-linear, so I think there were a couple of things we have to infer.

From what I gathered, the 1st line of defense was heavily shelled, causing them to flee, and it sounded like these 6 were the ones that made it to this 2nd trench. That, or these were reserves? It wasn't clear. One soldier mentioned he wasn't going to say how many soldiers were there - and I think he's referring to that original trench. Could have been high casualties, and it sounded like many got mowed down in the retreat.

It was interesting that it sounded like this UA infantry unit was quickly digging their own trench in secret, surprising the 'orcs' and evading drone detection - timelines were vague with that, too.

But definitely a high quality mini-documentary/recruitment video ("drone operators are so important", "infantry is the backbone of the army" etc), but also shows some of the adrenaline/fear a front line soldier goes through when storming a trench.

Incidentally, barbed wire was also very conspicuously absent...

That's one reason I found that anecdata from that video interesting and a possible counter-argument. In that video, the trench line was short, less than 1/10 kilometer, and had 6 guys.

I'm not sure what counts as 'second line', these guys fell back to a safer position, but maybe that would still be considered part of the front line.

If the reports of decimated front lines are not quite accurate, that would help explain the slowish progress of moving forward. If all the trench fighting is roughly like this video, it would make sense that it's going slow.

I think in this case, I'd put more credence on leaked russian video and results, because their OpSec is terrible, and any successes that they have are crowed about endlessly on their media. So the lack of crowing is a 'dog that didn't bark' scenario and suggests that things are going badly for the orc army.

An excellent find by @bo3bdar of an excellent video, with good points / comments by @bo3bdar etc.

I am not and never have been a brown job, so infantry tactics aren't exactly my thing. Also I don't particularly enjoy watching film of this sort of stuff, so tend not to.

Nevertheless I did read most of the transcript and I perhaps I understood some aspects that may be puzzling others regarding this particular attack, but which are more generally relevant for the job of working through the fixed lines.

- The Ukrainians dug their own trench (? 900m ?) away because that was the closest point of approach that they could relatively safely reach and still dig in as a concealed safe jump-off point.
- They have to do the actual attack as infantry because of the very extensive antitank mines that they cannot clear using mechanised means because the mechanised clearance vehicles are too vuulnerable to anti-vehicle firing.
- They can't get their vehicles any closer to the jump-off point because a) the vehicles would be vulnerable and b) the vehicles would alert the defenders that a direct attack is imminent (noise, smoke) which gives the defenders time to get to their firing positions.
- Infantry can't run over kilometres of open countryside carrying the weight of weaponry needed to take and subsequently hold such a position, so they need to get the 'run' distance down to something manageable.
- Infantry in a large group will get picked up by the surveillance so they need to infiltrate in smaller numbers, accumulating the necessary equipment/ammo/people over time at the jump-off point.
- And it is not enough that the jump-off point is concealed (hidden); it really also needs to provide cover (protection) in case it is detected by surveillance and becomes subject to artillery and/or a counterattack. Hence the Ukrainians very swiftly digging the impressive trench system we saw and being very careful to camouflage the earth spoil that resulted so that the drones did not spot it. This jump-off point is also the fallback point in case there is a failure of the initial assault, or a subsequent counterattack that they then need to prevent breaking into the Ukrainian lines.
- They also need to have a safe command post location; a medical post location; and a drone team(s) location all close enough that the communications remain viable despite any electronic jamming/etc.
- And the attack itself was conducted whilst the Russian positions were under artillery bombardment which drove the Russians to their deep shelters as opposed to their firing positions. Coordinating such bombardments with good comms between infantry and artillery is very hard, even in 1918 the Allies were still poor at it. Heck, even in 1944 the Allies were still poor at it.

- On the Russian side they keep feeding troops forwards to maintain sufficient people & kit in the forwards defense line such as the trenches/etc we see on the Russian side.
- This is not the Somme - it doesn't need to be a continuous trench with continuous manning (though it may be). A continuous trench with discontinuous manning is enough with modern weaponry. Or a discontinuous trench with discontinuos manning (such as this) though that creates problems when needing to withdraw as one has to break cover (protection) and run accros vulnerable terrain to reach the next trench position. That I think is when the Russians suffered the greatest casualties during this particular engagement, as they did not have a structured withdrawal.
- Which in turn gives insight into what is going on in the local command & morale. They can - and do - fight well in the positions they have carefully prepared in the last 6-9 months. The command team and the engineering crews have done a mostly very good job of setting out and preparing these Russian defensive lines. The front line troops are fighting well in the positions. But when the Ukrainians can get them on the run, making bad decisions, there can be localised unit command breakdown especially in the situations where making the least bad move is the best option.
- There is someevidence in that video that once on the move inter-squad breakdowns occur in the Russian forces. They clearly did not defend their fallback positions as a unified team, but instead as two separate less coordinated groupings.
- But if you compare with that company level video of Russians protesting near Bakhmut that I posted a few days ago they were protesting about being sent forwards without the necessary tools, so it clearly is something of a patchwork (of morale; leadership; and kit).

At present destroyed artillery equipment/day is probably the best indicator of progress, that seems to be mostly what this phase of the counteroffensive is about.

Ukraine hopes to achieve sufficient numerical artillery superiority somewhere, to breakthrough, and start to take territory more rapidly via manoeuvrer. We will only see a mass capture of Russians if this rapid gain phase kicks off.

While we are in the attrition phase, it is a slow and brutal grind for both sides. No one knows how long the attrition phase will last, but neither side seems prepared to offer concessions.

Essentially the only way the war will ends is if Putin is replaced as leader, or if Ukraine makes rapid gains, which also probably results in Putin being replaced.

We could have rapid Ukrainian success at anytime, or I may be saying exactly the same thing in one year's time.

Exactly, I also think the artillery loss data is one of the best indicators. Also I agree that attrition may stall out, or a breakthrough may occur. We don't have the public domain data to have a valid view imho.

It seems to me that for breakout conditions to occur Ukraine needs to clear away the Russian artillery from one (or more) sections of the line, sufficient that an armoured thrust can then penetrate the line before any Russian gap-fillers (rotary or fixed wing) can be brought to bear. This probably also necessitates clearing Russian GPS jammers and EW/ESM cover from that same area.

What I don't have a proper understanding of is how deep the Russian stocks are of replacement artillery, ammunition, and crews; plus the associated enablers. And to what extent the Russians can effectively backfill their losses in all areas, or whether there are localised areas where they are becoming patchier in that effort. This I think is the crux, but that sort of information is not in the public domain as far as I know.

1689935551762.png

Last edited:
Interesting snippets

Last edited:
What I don't have a proper understanding of is how deep the Russian stocks are of replacement artillery, ammunition, and crews; plus the associated enablers. And to what extent the Russians can effectively backfill their losses in all areas, or whether there are localised areas where they are becoming patchier in that effort. This I think is the crux, but that sort of information is not in the public domain as far as I know.

View attachment 958277

A few months ago Russia was disbanding artillery units and turning them into infantry units. Artillery is the best arm of their military. If they are disbanding artillery units, that's an indication that there is a shortage of guns, ammunition, or both.

This is Putin pleading for a deal. We should take it.

What deal? I may be missing something, but this looks more like a threat than any offer.

The actual story is that Stalin moved Poland westward after WW II. He took a strip that is western Belarus and Ukraine today and in return moved the border of Poland westward making Germany smaller. He also took a slice of Romania that became Moldova after the fall of the USSR.

Girkin arrested? I'm surprised it took this long.

What deal? I may be missing something, but this looks more like a threat than any offer.

The actual story is that Stalin moved Poland westward after WW II. He took a strip that is western Belarus and Ukraine today and in return moved the border of Poland westward making Germany smaller. He also took a slice of Romania that became Moldova after the fall of the USSR.
Given that you think Ukraine are about to win, you will well know that Putin is in no position to threaten Poland let alone a Poland that is in NATO.

This is a tough guy reminding us how tough he is. Positioning himself to get a decent deal.

We are the mediators so we suggest a deal. Half the captured lands go back to Ukraine. Some sanctions are lifted with good behaviour.

Putin gets an off ramp. West unofficially never do very much business with them going forwards (and limit trade with those that are).

Once Russia becomes a decent democratic state then some reparations can be sought in exchange for all sanctions being lifted.