Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Russia/Ukraine conflict

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Zeihan has some interesting data and when he cites data, it does tend to be real. However he runs off into odd conclusions from the data and he bases some of his conclusions are shaky data. For example he claims that the Russians quit reporting accurate birth data in 2005. I haven't been able to corroborate that anywhere.

It is true that the materials we need for a sustainable future is a broader mix of elements than what we needed for the last generation of transportation and energy generation. But the materials are there in the Earth's crust, we just haven't tapped them yet. Developing enough nickel is going to be one of the most difficult elements. Known nickel reserves are just about equal to the expected demand. We need to find new nickel deposits. They are out there, we just haven't found them yet.

Russia has a contribution to a lot of world mineral resources. It produced about 9% of the world's nickel before the war and about 5% of the copper. It's the #2 producer of platinum, but it only produces 19 metric tons a year while South Africa produces 130. Palladium is a bit closer between #1 and #2. SA=80 tons, and Russia=74 (2021 figures)
https://www.madisontrust.com/inform...t-most-gold-silver-and-other-precious-metals/

A mistake many people make when looking at the future is assume the game is zero sum. In other words the pie is a fixed size and if something disrupts one slice, everyone is hurt. There are limits to natural resources, but we haven't found all the world's natural resources. If one resource country goes offline, it will hurt short term, but other sources will be found. The pie will get larger.

Another thing Zeihan doesn't take into account is that people figure out ways around problems. He's predicting that German production will fall off a cliff in the coming decade because they are going to hit a demographic wall with a shrinking population. What Germany is likely to do is what they have been doing for a while and moving production out of Germany to other countries with a younger workforce. The United States is re-industrializing and has a fairly good pool of workers. Germany already makes cars in the US, they can make other things here too. They could also export production to other countries.

The UK could re-industrialize. Thanks to immigration the UK hasn't seen the population decline that much of the EU is seeing.

What Zeihan sees as game over scenarios are more likely just speed bumps. Germany will probably decline as a producer of goods, but the German companies will find other places to make those goods. Russia is in terminal decline for many reasons and the war has sped that up. The resources in Siberia might be offline for a while, but Moscow will likely get too weak to hold onto Siberia at some point and somebody will go in and extract those minerals. Siberia could break away from Moscow, or Siberia might be a semi-independent entity able to make their own trade deals. The wealth from these resource sales won't flow back to Moscow, but will stay in Siberia making them stronger than Moscow.

The future will likely have a number of bumps. The CCP may collapse in China causing disruptions, Russian resources could stay out of world markets after the war for a while, other countries will have to change the way they do things. But I don't think Zeihan's vision of a post global market will come to pass.

For the dominant country in the world to become isolationist would become a world disaster. If the US picked up all its toys and went home, China would run rampant.

WW I left the US as the world's dominant economy. Instead of becoming the world leader it became very isolationist. The most isolationist its ever been. As a result fascist cancers were able to sprout and grow in Germany, Italy, Spain, and Japan (Japan wasn't as fascistic, but it was an aggressively expansionist empire out to conquer large swaths of Asia). A little over 20 years after the war to end all wars ended, the world was embroiled in an even worse war. One that the US tried to stay out of for 2 years, but war eventually came to it.

The British and French contributed to this by not listening to Wilson's ideas for bringing about a peace. They wanted to continue the Great Game.

If the US had the kind of role post WW I that it has had since WW II, Germany probably would have been stopped a lot sooner than it was. I'm not as sure about Japan being stopped sooner, but the War in the Pacific probably would have happened sooner when Japan was weaker.

When you're a small power with a small population with neighbors who don't want to hurt you, you can afford to be isolationist and do fine. Switzerland has been isolationist for more than 500 years. Sweden was, but the war in Ukraine showed them that it wasn't going to work anymore.

Big powers can't afford to be isolationist. It would be like all the billionaires in the investment markets all decided to cash out and stuff it in their mattresses. It would cause financial havoc.

It's in the Ukrainian constitution that elections are not held during a time of martial law. Perun commented on that this week. He pointed out a lot of countries do that and Britain did not hold scheduled elections in 1916 or 1940 because of WW I and WW II.

True, but the context here is to take something other than a human being into the custody of the authorities. US English uses "arrest" to refer to humans being taken into custody, but when we talk about anything else being taken by authorities we use the term "seize". We don't use "arrest" for animals taken by authorities either. If authorities take animals who are in an abusive situation, nobody says "animal control arrested three starving horses today".
But starving horses are not seen as being, while ships...

Bottom line - a term of art

A good interview with Anders Puck Nielsen, following up on the recent Timothy Snyder interview.

Anders Puck Nielsen - If Russia's War Ambitions Haven't Changed are Peace Talks or Deals Meaningless

Nielsen provides an overview of the war and of some of the things the West got wrong such as greatly underestimating the capabilities and competence of Russia both on and off the battlefield. Russia has been extremely effective in the information war, creating talking points (stalemate, peace talks, etc) echoed by "experts" in the West that end up helping Russia.

Unlike the economic pain in Russia caused by this war, the overwhelming might of the Western economies means we can back Ukraine without significantly impacting the lives of most people. Unfortunately, due to the West's gross underestimation of Russia, there was a mistaken belief that the war would basically be over this past summer with huge successes in the Ukrainian counter-offensive.

So Russia has had a one-year head start gearing up for a long war. The West is seeing the light and is starting to increase production up but it will take a year or more to ramp up. Eventually the economic disparity between Russia and the West will make its way forcefully onto the battlefront as long as we don't bail.

At one point Nielsen suggests that the West should supply Ukraine with 600 fighter jets over the course of five years. This might be too sensible for Western governments to act on but it highlights Nielsen's longer term perspective and his thoughts on what is needed to stabilize the region.

In the wonderful book/pdf Quotes for the Air Force Logistician Germany's defeat was summed up by a captured German soldier:

I know how you defeated us. You piled up the supplies and then let them fall on us.
I'm also reminded of the famous Churchill quote:
Americans will always do the right thing ... only after they have tried everything else.
A common thread through Snyder, Perun, and Nielsen is that if Ukraine is backed by the economies of the West (or even just those of Europe) then it is bound to win this war without burdening people in the West with typical wartime sacrifices. But IMO due to the glacially slow ramp up of aid it is now going to take a few years. Giving Russia 6 months or a year to solidify their defenses was a terrible mistake and a missed opportunity.

Nielsen provides an overview of the war and of some of the things the West got wrong such as greatly underestimating the capabilities and competence of Russia both on and off the battlefield. Russia has been extremely effective in the information war, creating talking points (stalemate, peace talks, etc) echoed by "experts" in the West that end up helping Russia.
Who underestimated Russia? We are talking about the same Russia right?

If anything, Russia have shown themselves to be weaker than I expected and now much much weaker. The west could beat them with one hand tied behind their backs. Until they bring the nukes out at least...

Reactions: bhzmark
Who underestimated Russia? We are talking about the same Russia right?

If anything, Russia have shown themselves to be weaker than I expected and now much much weaker. The west could beat them with one hand tied behind their backs. Until they bring the nukes out at least...
I agree... Seems to involve recency bias/revisionist history... The West seemed unwilling to help out much at first because most/all countries thought Russia would steamroll Ukraine. So we started with overestimating them...

When Ukraine held Kiev and pushed back the initial surge, it opened a lot of eyes and we started to hear commitments of help, but it took a while to actually get going. Had the EU and America jumped in right away, this could very well have been over before they dug in.

I suspect that the West was careful due to Russian nuclear threats. Russia kept saying "if you do x, watch out", and so just added a little bit at a time to see how Russia would respond. We found out they were bluffing (so far - hindsight helps...).

At the same time, at least some Western elements want a long, drawn out war, so this is pretty much going according to plan. Had they pushed out Russia right away, they wouldn't be able to bleed Russia's weapons stockpiles as much, and certain circles don't mind that we're reducing the world's population at minimal cost to the West. War has historically been a convenient time to 'redistribute' wealth...

Today is the 106th independence day of Finland!

You can watch a nice independence day parade here (its a bit long and spoken in finnish)

I agree... Seems to involve recency bias/revisionist history... The West seemed unwilling to help out much at first because most/all countries thought Russia would steamroll Ukraine. So we started with overestimating them...

When Ukraine held Kiev and pushed back the initial surge, it opened a lot of eyes and we started to hear commitments of help, but it took a while to actually get going. Had the EU and America jumped in right away, this could very well have been over before they dug in.

I suspect that the West was careful due to Russian nuclear threats. Russia kept saying "if you do x, watch out", and so just added a little bit at a time to see how Russia would respond. We found out they were bluffing (so far - hindsight helps...).
This was a big part. Nowadays we don't blink an eye about delivering things like Abrams, HIMARS (including now with ATACMS), Patriot batteries, and F-16s, but I don't think anyone could have said with high confidence what kind of response Russia would have had if we delivered those early in the war. Instead we have taken a frog boiling approach, which made it much easier for Russia to stomach and slowly shift any "red lines" that they may have had (bluff or not).

Very easy to talk with hindsight, but if you wind the clock back to the start it's much harder to say. You certainly couldn't have said with any certainty about the fighting abilities about the Ukrainian army or even that they would be able to properly utilize any weapons given to them; those abilities were proven by actual battle in the months afterwards.

And to be fair, the Western response was far better than in 2014, when Russia pretty much got away with taking Crimea with little consequences.
At the same time, at least some Western elements want a long, drawn out war, so this is pretty much going according to plan. Had they pushed out Russia right away, they wouldn't be able to bleed Russia's weapons stockpiles as much, and certain circles don't mind that we're reducing the world's population at minimal cost to the West. War has historically been a convenient time to 'redistribute' wealth...

Navy to complete rapid delivery of new counter-UAS system to Ukraine

Published: Dec 6, 2023

NAVAL AIR SYSTEMS COMMAND, PATUXENT RIVER, Md. -The Navy will complete the delivery of a new Counter-Unmanned Air System (UAS) weapon system to Ukraine this month as part of the Department of Defense aid package.

Last year, the contingency operations team for the Direct and Time Sensitive Strike program office (PMA-242) began working an urgent requirement to deliver rocket-launching platforms, known as Vehicle Agnostic Modular Palletized ISR Rocket Equipment (VAMPIRE) systems, to support wartime efforts in Ukraine.

VAMPIRE is a compact, palletized rocket-launching platform that consists of a sensor ball and four-shot Advanced Precision Kill Weapon System (APKWS) launchers designed to mount to any truck with a flatbed. [...

Missed that this post was based on this article from Reuters:

Ukraine's latest weapons request includes THAAD air defenses and F-18s

By Mike Stone
December 7, 202312:45 AM GMT+1 Updated 14 hours ago

WASHINGTON, Dec 6 (Reuters) - Ukraine's latest list of U.S. weapons it says it needs to fight the Russian military includes sophisticated air defense systems, F-18 "Hornet" fighter jets, drones, Apache and Blackhawk helicopters, according to documents seen by Reuters.

Officials from the Ukrainian Ministry of Defense presented a "list of armaments to meet the needs of defense forces of Ukraine" during a closed-door session of a conference in Washington on Wednesday attended by government officials and defense industry executives.

The comprehensive list included weapons Ukraine already has in stock like Abrams tanks and 155 millimeter artillery, as well some weaponry such as F-16s, drones and long-range ATACMS missiles that it has asked for in the past. [...

A good interview with Anders Puck Nielsen, following up on the recent Timothy Snyder interview.

Anders Puck Nielsen - If Russia's War Ambitions Haven't Changed are Peace Talks or Deals Meaningless

Unlike the economic pain in Russia caused by this war, the overwhelming might of the Western economies means we can back Ukraine without significantly impacting the lives of most people. Unfortunately, due to the West's gross underestimation of Russia, there was a mistaken belief that the war would basically be over this past summer with huge successes in the Ukrainian counter-offensive.

So Russia has had a one-year head start gearing up for a long war. The West is seeing the light and is starting to increase production up but it will take a year or more to ramp up. Eventually the economic disparity between Russia and the West will make its way forcefully onto the battlefront as long as we don't bail.

At one point Nielsen suggests that the West should supply Ukraine with 600 fighter jets over the course of five years. This might be too sensible for Western governments to act on but it highlights Nielsen's longer term perspective and his thoughts on what is needed to stabilize the region.

In the wonderful book/pdf Quotes for the Air Force Logistician Germany's defeat was summed up by a captured German soldier:

I know how you defeated us. You piled up the supplies and then let them fall on us.
I'm also reminded of the famous Churchill quote:
Americans will always do the right thing ... only after they have tried everything else.
A common thread through Snyder, Perun, and Nielsen is that if Ukraine is backed by the economies of the West (or even just those of Europe) then it is bound to win this war without burdening people in the West with typical wartime sacrifices. But IMO due to the glacially slow ramp up of aid it is now going to take a few years. Giving Russia 6 months or a year to solidify their defenses was a terrible mistake and a missed opportunity.

600 fighter bombers is about right. With lots of HARMs they would be able to knock out a significant part of Russia's air defense network. But it would also take about 5 years to stand up a force that size. 600 fighters is a significant force. The USAF has 1511 fighters. I think that would give Ukraine the largest air force in Europe.

Logistically it would be difficult to train up and equip a force that size.

• Informative
Reactions: navguy12
Last month in a column in The Globe he attacked “Russia, China, Iran and its terrorist proxies – Hamas and Hezbollah – and North Korea,” which he said together “comprise a new authoritarian ‘axis of evil.’ ” He warned that authoritarian regimes are waging a war against Western countries: United States, Canada, Australia and many European countries, “through three primary methods – electoral interference, transnational repression, and the spreading of harmful disinformation.”

Mykhailo Podolyak, a senior adviser to Mr. Zelensky, told The Globe in an interview last week that anonymous sources quoted in foreign media were damaging Ukraine on the international stage and creating conspiracy theories at home, “which become realities for us.”

Reactions: SwedishAdvocate

Those Globe and Mail links don't seem to work for me. They all seem to be leading the Globe and Mail front page...

Reactions: madodel
Those Globe and Mail links don't seem to work for me. They all seem to be leading the Globe and Mail front page...
These are “gifted” links…I’ll try another technique, but they may be paywalled:

Edit: it doesn’t matter how I bring the links to this thread, they all seem to devolve to just the home page for today

Screen shots of the lead for each linked story, may be helpful via standard Google search:

IMG_1680.png

IMG_1681.png

These are “gifted” links…I’ll try another technique, but they may be paywalled:

Edit: it doesn’t matter how I bring the links to this thread, they all seem to devolve to just the home page for today

Screen shots of the lead for each linked story, may be helpful via standard Google search:

View attachment 997282
View attachment 997281
Some excerpts from each story (since these were two of my three “gift to anyone” stories for this month).

Threats against human rights advocate:

Former Liberal justice minister Irwin Cotler, an outspoken advocate for human rights, is under 24-hour police protection because of a threat to his life, two sources say.

The Globe and Mail was not able to learn who or what organization or country poses the threat to Mr. Cotler. The Globe is not identifying the sources because they are not authorized to speak on the matter.

The RCMP did not immediately respond to questions about the threat to the former politician.

Mr. Cotler failed to show up for a Monday event at The Globe and Mail in Toronto where the son of jailed Hong Kong publisher Jimmy Lai was presenting the screening of a documentary about his father.

The former Montreal MP, an international human-rights lawyer, has criticized many foreign governments, including Iran for its conduct in the 2020 shooting-down of Ukraine International Airlines Flight 752, which left about 55 Canadians and 30 permanent residents dead, as well as Tehran’s funding of Hamas. Hamas, designated a terrorist group by the Canadian government, carried out the Oct. 7 attacks against Israel that left about 1,200 Israelis dead, and hundreds taken hostage.

Mr. Cotler also recently served as Canada’s special envoy on Holocaust remembrance and combatting antisemitism from 2020 to 2023, warning of a massive rise in antisemitism.

Last month in a column in The Globe he attacked “Russia, China, Iran and its terrorist proxies – Hamas and Hezbollah – and North Korea,” which he said together “comprise a new authoritarian ‘axis of evil.’ ” He warned that authoritarian regimes are waging a war against Western countries: United States, Canada, Australia and many European countries, “through three primary methods – electoral interference, transnational repression, and the spreading of harmful disinformation.”
Canada has been a target of transnational repression.

As The Globe first reported, and Prime Minister Justin Trudeau later confirmed, Ottawa believes the Indian government is behind the June, 2023, gangland-style slaying of Canadian Hardeep Singh Nijjar, an outspoken advocate for a group that wants Punjab to secede from India.

An unsealed criminal indictment in New York last week echoed the allegations made by Mr. Trudeau.

U.S. authorities said their investigation of a foiled scheme to kill a Canadian-American Sikh activist in New York has uncovered apparent links to the killing of Mr. Nijjar, as well as an alleged plot by the Indian government to conduct a string of assassinations in Canada.

In 2015, Mr. Cotler founded the Raoul Wallenberg Centre for Human Rights, a Montreal-based organization dedicated to promoting human rights, advocating for political prisoners and combatting injustice around the world. The group works in the memory of Mr. Wallenberg, a Swedish diplomat who saved 100,000 Jews during the Second World War by issuing them diplomatic passports and sheltering them in safe houses.

In his Nov. 15 Globe column Mr. Cotler wrote Canadians “are once again facing a bipolar world, not between two superpowers, but between two ideological alliances – liberal democracies and repressive autocrats, who are engaged in an assault on the rules-based international order.”
Ukrainian government and foreign media:

Kyiv has been through a lot over more than 21 months of war, fighting off the invading Russian army and surviving the regular cruise missile attacks and electricity blackouts that followed.

But the political machinations in the Ukrainian capital in recent weeks nonetheless feel unprecedented.

What began with an apparent disagreement between President Volodymyr Zelensky and the country’s top general over how to describe the situation at the front line has descended into full-scale political combat, with Mr. Zelensky’s political opponents using the fray to resume criticizing him after almost two years of rally-behind-the-leader solidarity.

Bruised by Western media reports highlighting the growing dissent, the Ukrainian government’s Centre for Countering Disinformation turned its fire on foreign reporters covering the conflict here, warning Wednesday that unnamed English-language journalists were “preparing a disinformation campaign against the top military and political leadership of Ukraine.” The campaign, the centre said via its Telegram channel, was aimed at creating “a split in Ukrainian society.”

The apparent attempt to discredit foreign media came two days after Kyiv Mayor Vitaliy Klitschko – a long-time opponent of Mr. Zelensky who has largely avoided directly criticizing the President since the start of the full-scale Russian invasion – warned the country was drifting toward authoritarianism. “At some point we will no longer be any different from Russia, where everything depends on the whim of one man,” Mr. Klitschko told Swiss television.

Meanwhile, Russian President Vladimir Putin, who tolerates no internal dissent and has jailed some of the few remaining foreign journalists in his country, seems to be on an upswing as his forces go back on the offensive in Ukraine. He made a rare foreign trip Wednesday to Dubai and Saudi Arabia, where he met with Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman to discuss the war in Gaza, before returning to Moscow, where he will host Iranian President Ebrahim Raisi.

The sense of disarray in Kyiv reached a new peak Tuesday when Mr. Zelensky pulled out of a scheduled video appearance before the U.S. Congress, where he was due to make an appeal for continued military support in the face of escalating Republican resistance. Mr. Zelensky cancelled at the last minute – just hours after his chief of staff, Andriy Yermak, warned in a speech at the Washington-based United States Institute of Peace that there was a “big risk” that Ukraine’s army would be defeated without continued U.S. support.

“We need so much to continue this aid. We need so much that Congress votes for and supports this package for Ukraine. Of course, it helps us to continue fighting and continue liberating our territories,” Mr. Yermak said in English, referring to a US$60-billion package of military aid that is being held up by Republicans in Congress who are seeking concessions from the Biden administration on immigration and border measures.
Mr. Yermak said if the U.S. aid is delayed, it will make it impossible for Ukraine to liberate the 17.5 per cent of its land under Russian occupation “and give the big risk to lose this war.”

In an interview with Fox News, Ukrainian Defence Minister Rustem Umerov said Mr. Zelensky had cancelled his address to Congress because of last-minute developments at home. “It’s a war, so the situation can change,” Mr. Umerov said, adding that Mr. Zelensky would appreciate the chance to address Congress again in the future.

However, one long-time Ukrainian political insider told The Globe and Mail he believed Mr. Zelensky had cancelled his address because he understood the Republican members had already decided to vote against the broader, US$106-billion supplemental aid request from the White House, which includes the US$60-billion for Ukraine, and Mr. Zelensky didn’t want it to appear that his speech had failed to make an impact. The Globe is not identifying the insider because, like many in Kyiv, he did not want to be identified amid the current political infighting.

If U.S. aid is indeed about to dry up, it will only increase the tension in Kyiv. Mr. Umerov said he viewed Mr. Klitschko’s remarks – which included criticism of how Mr. Zelensky had failed to prepare the country for war ahead of the February, 2022, invasion – as “the beginning of the political season.” The country is scheduled to hold elections next year, though they are widely expected to be postponed because of the war.

Mr. Klitschko’s warning about growing authoritarianism came shortly after the Presidential Administration appeared to criticize the country’s top general, Valery Zaluzhny, for telling The Economist that the situation at the front line was a “stalemate,” comparing the “attritional trench war” to the First World War.

Mr. Zelensky has remained publicly optimistic about the course of the conflict, vowing again Wednesday that the country would persevere. “It is not easy now, but we are moving. No matter how difficult it is, we will get there. To our borders, to our people. To our peace. Fair peace. Free peace. Against all odds.”

But the warnings about international media from the Centre for Countering Disinformation – part of the National Security and Defence Council, which reports to Mr. Zelensky’s office – appeared to highlight a growing desire to control the message. The centre warned specifically about articles being prepared by “foreign journalists who have experience working in Russia, in particular during the beginning of Putin’s rule.”

Mykhailo Podolyak, a senior adviser to Mr. Zelensky, told The Globe in an interview last week that anonymous sources quoted in foreign media were damaging Ukraine on the international stage and creating conspiracy theories at home, “which become realities for us.”

Foreign journalists were hailed by the Ukrainian government early in the war, especially as they helped shed light on atrocities committed by Russian forces against Ukrainian civilians. Today, media access to the front line is under increasingly tight control, and officials who spoke freely with The Globe and other organizations during the first year-and-a-half of the invasion are now wary of having their names attached to what they say about the state of the war or the leadership of the country.

The criticism of foreign journalists comes as optimism about a quick end to the war has faded. A summer-and-fall Ukrainian counteroffensive failed to breach the main Russian defensive lines, and Russian forces now appear to have regained the initiative along the 1,000-kilometre-long front line. On Dec. 1, Mr. Zelensky ordered the rapid reinforcement of defensive positions all along the line.

The British Ministry of Defence assessed this week that Russia was now in control of “most of the built-up area” in Marinka, a shattered town in the southeastern Donetsk region that was once home to 9,000 people. Russian forces are also advancing in the nearby city of Avdiivka, which has been surrounded on three sides and is similarly destroyed.

A senior security source told The Globe this week that Ukraine badly needs its Western allies – including Canada – to keep their promises of more military aid as Russia continues to ramp up its own military production.

The source highlighted that Ottawa has yet to deliver any of the 50 Light Armoured Vehicles (LAVs) and armoured medical evacuation vehicles Prime Minister Justin Trudeau promised as part of a new, $650-million aid package that was announced when Mr. Zelensky visited Canada in September. The Globe is not naming the Ukrainian security source because they were not authorized to publicly discuss the issue.

Mr. Trudeau promised to deliver newly built LAVs that would be produced in London, Ont. The source, however, argued that Canada could send LAVs now, from its own stocks of military equipment, then keep the new ones once they’re built.