Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Russia/Ukraine conflict

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't know anything about bombs. Is a short circuit a typical ignition mechanism ? If so, I find the Russian obfuscation amusing. I'm used to them just outright lying.

EIther this or someone was smoking cigarettes ;)

The funny part is that official lies in Russia are called the Official truth 🤣

(from chatgpt)
Pravda (Правда): The most common and general/official version of truth.
Istina (Истина): Truth in the sense of reality, verity, or fundamental truth.
Deytviyel'nost' (Действительность): Reality or actuality, often used in the context of factual truth.
Yavnoye (Явное): The obvious truth.
Real'nost' (Реальность): Reality, which can imply truth as opposed to illusion or perception.
Pravdivost' (Правдивость): Truthfulness.
Veroyatnost' (Вероятность): Probability, used when referring to statistical or likely truth.
Ispolnitel'nost' (Исполнительность): Fidelity or truthfulness in fulfilling a duty or promise.

Lozh' (Ложь): The general term for lies or falsehood.
Vran'ye (Вранье): Deceit or fabrication.
Obman (Обман): Deception or trickery.
Mif (Миф): Myth, used in the context of a fabricated or untrue story.
Taktil (Тактиль): Tactile, used colloquially to refer to a blatant lie or fabrication.
Khudozhestvennoye (Художественное): Artistic, used in the context of a creative or fictional lie.
Vymysel (Вымысел): Invention or fiction, often implying a fabricated story.
Dvoynoy yazyk (Двойной язык): Double-talk, used to describe speech that is intentionally misleading or deceptive.

War Crime number ??????? by the Russian Dictator's minions...

"Military confirms Russian troops executed 2 Ukrainian POWs in Donetsk Oblast

by Alexander Khrebet
December 3, 2023 11:25 AM

Russian troops killed two Ukrainian soldiers who surrendered as prisoners of war (POW) in Donetsk Oblast, the Strategic Communications Directorate of Ukraine’s Armed Forces confirmed on the evening of Dec. 2.

In a video published by the Ukrainian DeepState Telegram channel on Dec. 2, a group of soldiers appear to kill two other soldiers emerging from a trench. One of the two had his hands behind his head.

The Donetsk Oblast Prosecutor’s Office has launched an investigation into the violation of the rules and customs of war. Killing of POWs violates the Geneva Convention and constitutes a war crime. [..."

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: navguy12 and DrGriz
What exactly are you inferring.

As I read your last two posts, it seems you're laying the blame for an invasion by Russia at the feet of NATO?
The next post seems to infer Biden is somehow responsible?
First let me be clear that I believe that Russia and Putin are in the wrong and Putin is evil. That said looking at borders the inclusion of Ukraine into NATO could be seen as a threat to Russia. Russia has been seriously invaded by the west in recent history's, Sweden, Napoleon, WW1 and WW2. So I can understand them being fearful. While that is no reason to invade, I see where a western expansion of NATO could be threatening.

I'll just add this to the existing replies:

What do you mean when you write "Russia"?... Who are the actual people that you are referring to? What kind of country is Russia in your opinion? Don't you realize that Russia today is a Dictatorship? As I understand it, there has never been a free election in Russia ever(!)... And the current Russian Dictator was originally appointed – they didn't even bother holding one of their rigged elections 'to appoint' him.

How many people make all the decisions in Russia today? ~50?... With what right do those ~50(?) people get to decide over a country with some ~144,3 million people?

Do you honestly believe that Russia would have attacked Ukraine if Russia was an actual Democracy?

Last edited:
Through the prism of Russia’s current war, the genocidal intent of Soviet policies has become clearer. Thirty-four countries have recognized the Holodomor as genocide, many of these this past year.

Rafael Lemkin, the Polish Jewish lawyer who coined the term genocide, had no doubt that Ukrainians were subject to genocide in the Soviet Union: “This is not simply a case of mass murder. It is a case of genocide, of destruction, not of individuals only, but of a culture and a nation.”

His words could apply to Putin’s Russia today, which targets Ukrainian cities and towns with missiles, represses Ukrainian language and culture, and destroys Ukrainian textbooks wherever it occupies, bent on eradicating Ukrainian identity.

War Crime number ??????? by the Russian Dictator's minions...

"Military confirms Russian troops executed 2 Ukrainian POWs in Donetsk Oblast

by Alexander Khrebet
December 3, 2023 11:25 AM

Russian troops killed two Ukrainian soldiers who surrendered as prisoners of war (POW) in Donetsk Oblast, the Strategic Communications Directorate of Ukraine’s Armed Forces confirmed on the evening of Dec. 2.

In a video published by the Ukrainian DeepState Telegram channel on Dec. 2, a group of soldiers appear to kill two other soldiers emerging from a trench. One of the two had his hands behind his head.

The Donetsk Oblast Prosecutor’s Office has launched an investigation into the violation of the rules and customs of war. Killing of POWs violates the Geneva Convention and constitutes a war crime. [..."

When looking at war crimes you have to distinguish between what soldiers did on the front lines without orders and what were national policies. In WW II troops on all sides occasionally killed someone who was surrendering, even Americans. After a big fight the troops on the winning side can be worked up and are more likely to pull the trigger when they see an enemy soldier, even if he's holding a white flag.

Some armies had a policy of shooting prisoners. Japan was the most aggressive about this. After the Germans took many hundreds of thousands of Soviet prisoners in 1941 and struggled to house them all in prison camps, they started shooting Soviets who surrendered. As a result German POWs got brutal treatment too. When the Germans invaded in June 1941 the Soviets announced they would follow the Geneva Convention if the Germans did, but Hitler in his hubris nixed that. The Germans did abide by the Geneva Convention for western POWs.

Shooting surrendering troops is a war crime, but is it a local war crime or is it a new policy at some command level?

I just want to share this channel with you all if you don't know about Joe already, as it's a largely unfiltered view of what's going on right now from a Brit who has been serving on or near the front line for a while.

There's also a new interview with Joe here you might find interesting:

He has the same accent and same timber as Craig Charles (who played Lister on Red Dwarf). What I think is interesting is what he says about tanks, the best tank is the one you have a lot of. The T-72 has been the best tank for Ukraine because they have a lot of them. It's a good argument for rounding up all the M60s and Leopard Is, rehab them and send them to Ukraine.

The only current generation western tank that was built in large numbers is the Abrams and those would need the armor replaced before being sent to Ukraine. There are a lot of Leopard Is and M60s in operational condition around the world. Israel has a couple hundred heavily upgraded M60s that are in their deep reserve at this point.

What do you mean when you write "Russia"?... Who are the actual people that you are referring to? What kind of country is Russia in your opinion? Don't you realize that Russia today is a Dictatorship? As I understand it, there has never been a free election in Russia ever(!)... And the current Russian Dictator was originally appointed – they didn't even bother holding one of their rigged elections 'to appoint' him.

How many people make all the decisions in Russia today? ~50?... With what right do those ~50(?) people get to decide over a country with some ~144,3 million people?

Do you honestly believe that Russia would have attacked Ukraine if Russia was an actual Democracy?

It may happen someday but to date two democracies have never gone to war with one another. There have been cases where democracies attacked a non-democracy: Iraq, Afghanistan, Suez, etc. But democracies tend to settle their differences without violence.

That alone is a reason to promote the spread of democracy.

By Timothy Snyder's genocide checklist, what Russia is doing in Ukraine is clearly genocide.

Good points and I would concede there is a very small minority centered around Putin pulling the strings. As I have stated I believe him to be evil and the root of the current problem

Exclusive interview with Professor Timothy Snyder (by the Telegraph)

A calm voice of reason and intelligence amid the chaos. A few points:
  • The outcome of a long war like this depends on economic potential
  • The EU and the UK greatly out-match Russia economically
  • Thus the end of US aid would not be game-over for Ukraine
  • Snyder hates the use of "fatigue" and "stalemate" regarding this war
  • The person standing by the side of the road handing out Gatorade is not fatigued
If I had to choose to listen to only one person about this war it would be Timothy Snyder. Perun is a close second.

Exclusive interview with Professor Timothy Snyder (by the Telegraph)

A calm voice of reason and intelligence amid the chaos. A few points:
  • The outcome of a long war like this depends on economic potential
  • The EU and the UK greatly out-match Russia economically
  • Thus the end of US aid would not be game-over for Ukraine
  • Snyder hates the use of "fatigue" and "stalemate" regarding this war
  • The person standing by the side of the road handing out Gatorade is not fatigued
If I had to choose to listen to only one person about this war it would be Timothy Snyder. Perun is a close second.

Timothy Snyder has a Substack, but I think Perun is more consistent at getting information out there. I definitely give high weight to anything Timothy Snyder says. There are few American sources as dialed in on Ukraine both from a modern context but also the historical and cultural aspects.

A friend emailed me this video; it is eight minutes long and somewhat depressing on its face.

Can someone have a look and provide some informed context, especially for his bearish views vis a vis raw materials from Russia for the future requirements of the transition to 100% renewables? Thanks.

I challenge you to find ONE video where that guy is positive about ANYTHING.
His trade is to be loudly negative.

A friend emailed me this video; it is eight minutes long and somewhat depressing on its face.

Can someone have a look and provide some informed context, especially for his bearish views vis a vis raw materials from Russia for the future requirements of the transition to 100% renewables? Thanks.

This guy is mostly about demographics and geography. Uses those factors to explain current events and predict the future. He is super positive about the USA. Says we are stopping being the police force to the World, and have the opportunity to pull back to our shores, partner with Canada and Mexico to become the absolute finest Country in the World.
We have most all the natural resources we need to be self sustainable for tech, energy and food. We have the best work force and political system.
Says our future is bright, however the rest of the World will also need to sort out their own issues and quit depending so much on America to protect them from their projected future.

• Informative
Reactions: SwedishAdvocate
Thanks for the context. I’ll pass it along.
He is odd to me because he purports to be an expert in trends. But what he does is pick a negative trend that fits his narrative and ignore any posability that that trend could ever change.

In some cases (aging population trends one of his favorites) this works as this has generational timelines.
In others (electrification of transport) he is dead wrong...... As the market is deciding the cost benefits are too great.

Frozen or not, they need to dig in those base plates / spades to stop sliding.
Once they reach the landing zone, two Soldiers attack the ground, digging two holes with pickaxes and shovels to bury the spades of the howitzer. The spades are two titanium pieces on the back of the M777. They stabilize the system while it's fired. With rocks and dust flying in the air, the Soldiers attempt to drop the spades to see if they fit; no luck. They lift the heavy spades and continue to dig.

Last edited: