Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Russia/Ukraine conflict

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No, not a bad at all. I've thought the same thing but, having lived and worked in some unstable places, I have to remind myself that people can get used to a lot of things as "normal" over time. It seems to take an equal amount of time to turn the ship around and undo all the damage.

Without this innate feature people would flee their families far too early ;)

• Funny
Reactions: cjkosh and navguy12
Found this on YT last night. The channel is thinly disguised propaganda really, but there are some useful insights. The comments on this one are amusing bearing in mind the A-50's recent history.

In terms of how many operational A-50s are left, opinion varies but it seems to be around 4 currently, which is barely enough to give them the cover they want. If they want to detect potential UKR threats, they need one in the sky all the time, especially once the F-16s arrive.

"The A-50 fleet has been rendered mostly ineffective at this point. The Russians have lost enough of them that they can't do the job full time anymore."

How so? Is one A-50 by itself not capable of performing its functions as a control center and early warning detector? I do not believe these are team players, in that sense of the word.

What I DO believe is that, even if they haven't emasculated the jets, the Ukrainians at least have done so to their would-be crews. And this is a crucial point regarding any future conflicts from Stettin in the Baltic to Trieste in the Adria.... oops, got a bit carried away there...from Svalbard in the Barents to Sevasotpol in the you-know-where, NATO will be at least as capable as have become the Ukrainians in turning A-50s into plowshares.

To be fully effective Russia needs to have 24/7 coverage of Ukraine with A-50s. They need enough to keep at least two or three to keep all the frontlines and the borders with Russia/Belarus covered. They also need to have enough to have a few down for maintenance. They have lost enough that they can't keep up 24/7 coverage anymore. That allows the Ukrainians to operate with more autonomy when the remaining A-50s are on the ground.

IMG_1982.jpeg

I am somewhat darkly amused by the concept of the Pope (apparently) supporting Russia since ostensibly, Russia (or rather, the Russian Orthodox church) wouldn't recognize the Pope's authority ...

Sadly, seems about par for the course for "unlikely" "allies" of Russia, honestly.

... if learning from history was easy it wouldn't keep repeating itself... :(

Peace for our time

To be fully effective Russia needs to have 24/7 coverage of Ukraine with A-50s. They need enough to keep at least two or three to keep all the frontlines and the borders with Russia/Belarus covered. They also need to have enough to have a few down for maintenance. They have lost enough that they can't keep up 24/7 coverage anymore. That allows the Ukrainians to operate with more autonomy when the remaining A-50s are on the ground.
Thank you. I suppose I had been envisioning one A-50 covering only an active battle site - let's say, Avdiivka - rather than considering the big picture of patrolling the entire Ukrainian border.

• Informative
Reactions: SwedishAdvocate
Thank you. I suppose I had been envisioning one A-50 covering only an active battle site - let's say, Avdiivka - rather than considering the big picture of patrolling the entire Ukrainian border.

Something like an AWACS is the only way to detect enemy aircraft hugging the deck at any range. Any sector that is left uncovered leaves an opening for the enemy. NATO AWACS are always airborne over the Black Sea and I believe western AWACS have longer effective range than the A-50.

So the Russians aren't really able to sneak up on the Ukrainians without the Ukrainians knowing they are there. The Ukrainians would have to have an AD system ready and waiting when they get the notification and they haven't always had a system in the right place at the right time, but lately they may have more systems ready and waiting which might be why they have been picking off Su-34s and Su-35s lately.

Taking out the A-50s before the F-16s come into service, that leaves the Russians blind about where the F-16s are based and the Russians won't be alerted to when they are in the air and headed in for an attack. The F-16 bases are going to be very vulnerable and the longer the Ukrainians can keep them secret the better. Though I'm sure there are enough spies in Ukraine that the Russians will eventually learn where they are based, but keeping it as secret as long as possible helps keep them safe.