Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rust under third row seats

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I noticed this weekend that I have a lot of rust on the support structure under the 3rd row seat. It extends down and appears to be on some of the other components as well.

I dropped off my car at the SC today for an unrelated FWD issue and pointed this out. It was the first time they had seen it. We went and looked at another Signature and it had it as well - not as bad, but definitely there. By comparison, we found a production model that was completely clean and appeared to have a different coating or substance on the metal, and rust was either inhibited or never introduced.

Coming from the aircraft world, rust/corrosion is a big deal. This is only going to get worse. I'm curious if other owners have this issue and what you would suggest? At the very minimum, I want to have all the defective components replaced.

Attachments

• IMG_1011.jpg
    IMG_1011.jpg
    684.4 KB · Views: 386
  • IMG_1012.jpg
    IMG_1012.jpg
    474.3 KB · Views: 353
  • IMG_1013.jpg
    IMG_1013.jpg
    402 KB · Views: 365
I haven't seen rust, but we had all this grease from the hinges that was getting on the back of the third row seats and looked really bad. It was really noticeable when they were folded down - there should be some kind of additional flap that covers the back of the seats when they're folded so you don't see the hinges and stuff doesn't fall into the little crevice with the hinges from the trunk.

Reactions: NathanWolf
I noticed this weekend that I have a lot of rust on the support structure under the 3rd row seat. It extends down and appears to be on some of the other components as well.

I dropped off my car at the SC today for an unrelated FWD issue and pointed this out. It was the first time they had seen it. We went and looked at another Signature and it had it as well - not as bad, but definitely there. By comparison, we found a production model that was completely clean and appeared to have a different coating or substance on the metal, and rust was either inhibited or never introduced.

Coming from the aircraft world, rust/corrosion is a big deal. This is only going to get worse. I'm curious if other owners have this issue and what you would suggest? At the very minimum, I want to have all the defective components replaced.

There is another owner having the same rust problem as you.

It's in this thread here:

Delivery feedback and pics for SC after a week

I drove past our local Tesla store one evening after it had closed and was dark. One of the Model X on the lot had its driver side door opened maybe 8" and rain had just begun. All sorts of things can happen out there. I imagine staff just forgot to close the door after a test drive but had left for the night before checking all cars.

I drove past our local Tesla store one evening after it had closed and was dark. One of the Model X on the lot had its driver side door opened maybe 8" and rain had just begun. All sorts of things can happen out there. I imagine staff just forgot to close the door after a test drive but had left for the night before checking all cars.

Did you close it?

Reactions: X Fan
I have the same problem, just found out yesterday, already report to Tesla, they must replace a new one. I picked my car 3 moths ago, and it looks been rusted for a year or 2. I am 100% sure the one who put the seat on knew the issue but ignore to charge it. It is so disappointed a $140k car comes with rusted seat.

Attachments

• IMG_5177.JPG
    IMG_5177.JPG
    743.3 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_5178.JPG
    IMG_5178.JPG
    758.5 KB · Views: 168
I have the same problem, just found out yesterday, already report to Tesla, they must replace a new one. I picked my car 3 moths ago, and it looks been rusted for a year or 2. I am 100% sure the one who put the seat on knew the issue but ignore to charge it. It is so disappointed a $140k car comes with rusted seat.

Yikes, those look like the latch connectors? Seems like a safety issue if you're putting car seats back there!