Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rusted Brake Rotors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One year old silver X. While washing today, noticed all four rotors were rusty.
Ugh.
It was a distraction to the shine of my squeaky clean car.
Why? Why? Why?
Oh. Duh. I hardly EVER use my brakes. Over the year, I have learned the magic of one pedal driving and very, very rarely apply the brakes.
What's the fix?
Drive around for about five minutes, pressing gently on the accelerator while also applying pressure to the brake pedal to keep the car moving forward at a slow speed, brakes engaged.
After a few minutes. Done. Shiny, beautiful rotors again.

Dang you Tesla! I've forgotten how to use my brakes.
Just LOVE LOVE LOVE this car.

• Funny
Reactions: goneskiian
Drive around for about five minutes, pressing gently on the accelerator while also applying pressure to the brake pedal to keep the car moving forward at a slow speed, brakes engaged.
Yeah. If I put my car away wet after a wash it's really hard to get them unstuck too without a huge "clunk". Need to remember to take them out for a brake heat up spin to avoid that.

Uh, how can you NOT apply the parking brake? Whenever you press the stalk button, it applies the parking brake. The parking brake is automatically applied any time you are no longer in drive/reverse (when you put the car in park by pressing the stalk button). So I don't understand what you are saying/suggesting?

• Disagree
Reactions: spectrum
Uh, how can you NOT apply the parking brake? Whenever you press the stalk button, it applies the parking brake. The parking brake is automatically applied any time you are no longer in drive/reverse (when you put the car in park by pressing the stalk button). So I don't understand what you are saying/suggesting?
There are three levels of "brake". Level 1 is the regular brakes that you press with your pedal. Engaging "Park" by single pressing the Park button is level 2. Level 3 is pressing and holding the "Park" button which applies the Emergency Brake as well.

Never ever ever drive your car with both pedals. It's better to just find an empty road or parking lot, accelerate hard, shift the car into neutral, and brake hard. There will be no regen and your brakes will stop the car.

Where did you find this 'Level1/2/3' information? The manual for the X simply states "Place the vehicle in Park. This engages the parking brake". There is no mention of an 'emergency brake' anywhere in the manual: I am SURE there are no emergency brakes on an X, just parking brakes.

There is no mention of a long push in the manual, nor does it make any sense to me since you can hear the parking brake engage whenever you press the stalk button to place the vehicle in park. So what would a long press do that is any different than a regular press of the stalk button? I am not saying you are wrong, but whatever you are claiming is not in the manual - nor does it make sense to me since there is mechanically just the rear parking brake pads to engage (that occurs whenever you press the stalk button to place the vehicle in park).

• Disagree
Reactions: spectrum
Where did you find this 'Level1/2/3' information? The manual for the X simply states "Place the vehicle in Park. This engages the parking brake". There is no mention of an 'emergency brake' anywhere in the manual: I am SURE there are no emergency brakes on an X, just parking brakes.

There is no mention of a long push in the manual, nor does it make any sense to me since you can hear the parking brake engage whenever you press the stalk button to place the vehicle in park. So what would a long press do that is any different than a regular press of the stalk button? I am not saying you are wrong, but whatever you are claiming is not in the manual - nor does it make sense to me since there is mechanically just the rear parking brake pads to engage (that occurs whenever you press the stalk button to place the vehicle in park).
Press and hold the Park button next time after you park your car. You will feel an additional jolt and the ((P)) park icon will show up in your instrument cluster. The Manual does not talk about this, but the Manual does not talk about a lot of things. I think some people at Tesla are learning about these vehicles just like we are. :p

This whole Emergency Brake thing may be a misnomer. There is a way to engage/disengage the parking brake from the touch screen ( Touch Controls > Safety & Security) which adds a red (P) indicator on the dash. What's unclear is what it does physically. You hear the same clunks as you do when you use the stalk. Some speculate when selecting it, it's just disengaging and re-engaging again. The long-press on the stalk seems to have the same effect. You get the same clunk but also get the dash display. Very confusing.

Never ever ever drive your car with both pedals.
Hmm, this is another one that I have problems with every day. I park my X face-in on a severe downhill slope. When I put it in reverse to back out of my parking spot, I must also simultaneously be pressing the brake or the car shoots downhill (and off an embankment). So I have no choice but to press the accelerator BEFORE letting up on the brake or the car will shoot off the hill. Yes the car complains that I am pressing both the accelerator and brake at once but I'd much rather have it complain than drive my X off an embankment.

Hmm, this is another one that I have problems with every day. I park my X face-in on a severe downhill slope. When I put it in reverse to back out of my parking spot, I must also simultaneously be pressing the brake or the car shoots downhill (and off an embankment). So I have no choice but to press the accelerator BEFORE letting up on the brake or the car will shoot off the hill. Yes the car complains that I am pressing both the accelerator and brake at once but I'd much rather have it complain than drive my X off an embankment.
I have a similar driveway I need to reverse out of, but you can use the Brake Hold functionality. Press the brake pedal in all the way until a ((H)) shows on the screen, then you can move your foot over to accelerate and your Model X won't roll back during that time.

This happens to all cars. Its a result of the bare steel coming in contact with water. It's gone as soon as a wheel makes a single rotation as the pads always touch the rotor (they just don't squeeze it unless your stopping). Guess you could switch to carbon fiber rotors if your pockets are deep enough.

Reactions: beezy