Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rustproofing Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I doubt we will see anyone owning the same Tesla for more than 7-10 years. Tops.
Why?
I am hoping that my Y is the last car I ever buy. I hope to still be alive in 7-10 years.
Yes the batteries will degrade some so my LR is more of a mystery (no longer available) SR but I hope it'll still be usable.
Most of my ICE cars were > 10 years old before I moved on.

Why?
I am hoping that my Y is the last car I ever buy. I hope to still be alive in 7-10 years.
Yes the batteries will degrade some so my LR is more of a mystery (no longer available) SR but I hope it'll still be usable.
Most of my ICE cars were > 10 years old before I moved on.
Let us know how your battery is doing in 7-10 years. Long term reliability of a Tesla is nothing like an ICE car. These are iPhones on wheels.

The rattles, poor battery life, buggy interface from outdated hardware will all make you beg someone to take the car from you.

Long term reliability of a Tesla is nothing like an ICE car. These are iPhones on wheels.

Last edited:
If Plan to keep for a long time (and can afford it), get it wrapped.
Yes, I plan to do that in a few years. A bit cautious since I am not sure how well a wrap will hold up here in the cold northeast.
I've heard wraps only last for a few years, maybe 5. If you have any experience with wraps, I'd appreciate if you would share your experiences. Thinking of a nice 2 tone wrap. Maybe a chromatic wrap on top. Maybe add a lightning bolt (since it is an EV).

I seem to remember that an early version of the owner's manual stated that rustproofing may void the warranty, so I plan to rust proof my 3 when it is out of warranty in 2022. In the mean time, I do a plain water power wash and undercarriage spray once a week at the local do it yourself car wash. I have done the weekly power wash along with rustproofing with my last two ICE vehicles, both of which I drove for almost fifteen years. Both were in good shape when I sold them.

Yes, I plan to do that in a few years. A bit cautious since I am not sure how well a wrap will hold up here in the cold northeast.
I've heard wraps only last for a few years, maybe 5. If you have any experience with wraps, I'd appreciate if you would share your experiences. Thinking of a nice 2 tone wrap. Maybe a chromatic wrap on top. Maybe add a lightning bolt (since it is an EV).

I’ve wrapped my last 5 vehicles.

Re: Tesla: My first X is 5 years old and Xpel/g techniq coating has kept the vehicle pristine on my 50k of highway miles (i75/i95 which can be brutal with debris/bugs). Second X has 45k and also pristine. Of course, my exposure has been warmer NC/Fl but they have been exposed to caustic salt air of both Atlantic & Gulf (NC beach air is particularly caustic).

Use someone who is an expert in wrappingTeslas/ has moulds for the Y.

btw: I’ve always got the work done just after purchase.

Let us know how your battery is doing in 7-10 years. Long term reliability of a Tesla is nothing like an ICE car. These are iPhones on wheels.

The rattles, poor battery life, buggy interface from outdated hardware will all make you beg someone to take the car from you.

Long term reliability of a Tesla is nothing like an ICE car. These are iPhones on wheels.

Hmm..This doesnt jibe with any of the recent 2013/2014 era model S Tesla loaners I've had.

Reactions: bkp_duke