Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rustproofing.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have a buildup of rust in the wheel wells. Starting to form on the suspension arms, drive shaft, and other components. Car is one year old. Wondering what rustproofing methods others have used, and how it's holding up so far. Was thinking of Krown locally. Thanks.

I’m just impressed you’re getting rust on a part the car doesn’t have......
öhm.. yes there are a lot off model 3 which are in rust... : S

Can we havepics pls? There are a lot of model 3:s in canada what are in rust already after 6-12 months usage.
Like here is one from Roger car.

This from Jean-Claude

Here is complication of rust buckets & problems car in Canada & Finland.

Here is coming a new rust bucket from finland: MY car. After 1 winter it will be in rust.

öhm.. yes there are a lot off model 3 which are in rust... : S

Can we havepics pls? There are a lot of model 3:s in canada what are in rust already after 6-12 months usage.
Like here is one from Roger car.

This from Jean-Claude

Here is complication of rust buckets & problems car in Canada & Finland.

Here is coming a new rust bucket from finland: MY car. After 1 winter it will be in rust.

You missed the joke completely

Reactions: Johnii__82
Sorry, been travelling lately. Uploaded photos. Our BMW has some rust, but is also 12 years old. And is not as bad. Thanks. 20190803_094820.jpg 20190803_094830.jpg 20190803_094840.jpg 20190803_094907.jpg 20190803_094929.jpg

So far not much. Tesla has stated that their cars are not rustproofed often or not at all. They have no specific recommendation. I think we are going to proceed to coat the wheel wells with a local rustproofing shop. The rest seems OK to me. We want to keep the car for a long time, and the rust buildup seems a bit premature (for one year).

Reactions: Johnii__82
Sorry, been travelling lately. Uploaded photos. Our BMW has some rust, but is also 12 years old. And is not as bad. Thanks. View attachment 437191 View attachment 437192 View attachment 437193 View attachment 437194 View attachment 437195
That’s completely typical of every car I’ve owned since new in the north east. It may be you just haven’t looked closely on your previous cars. These are just regular steel parts, some painted some not, they will have surface rust especially if they are used in the winter.

That’s completely typical of every car I’ve owned since new in the north east. It may be you just haven’t looked closely on your previous cars. These are just regular steel parts, some painted some not, they will have surface rust especially if they are used in the winter.

Good to know for sure! Thx. So rustproofing is kind quite smart thing to do especially where there is winter + salt etc on the roads.

Winters with salt are just hard on cars. That’s one reason my p3 is just a three season car for me. I’ll use our much cheaper cars to get beat up on the winter. I did the same thing with my corvette and it looked showroom condition even underneath after 10 years and plenty of miles.

Buy yourself a can of Fluid Film and spray any metal bits that even have a touch of surface rust. It will stop it from spreading and protect the surfaces of those components that haven't rusted yet. Be sure to re-apply once or twice a year depending on where you live.

I had to rustproof some rusty parts of my old 85D.

Reactions: TORQU3