Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

RV parks filling the charging gaps?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tried out my latest purchase of a 50A charge connector at a local state RV park this last weekend. I was able to get 30 mi/hr charge on my M3 LR. The site was available only because the couple and their RV had arrived so late they’d stayed in a motel overnight. I had the site until they arrived.

The ranger at the park entry was, seemingly, open-minded about my search for a charger. He said there was “no policy since electric cars are so new”. I reassured him I wouldn’t be in anyone's way, but looking for an available site to charge briefly. I think you’re more likely to find an empty site by selecting weekdays and times between check-out and check-in. I was doing neither, but was interested in the whole process, including the reception at the entry gate.

Was it NEMA 14-50?
Park employees only know 50 amp RV plug. It's a NEMA 14-50, but they do not understand that terminology. (The 30 amp RV plugs are TT-30, but they are 120V and are slow, so they're a last resort). You do have to be a bit careful because many RV parks have DIY wiring rather than "to code" wiring, so you may not be able to get the full 40 amps. Setting the car's charging to 32 amps is almost always fine.

RV Parks are currently not the best option, at least in my part of the world. This summer, they were all so busy (because COVID-19 restricted other forms of travel) that you would need to reserve weeks in advance to get a spot. In winter, when the charging stop would be most useful, the parks are closed.

A CHAdeMO adapter is way more useful in Ontario and especially Quebec. There are 50kW L3 stations in a lot of places, even in the smallest of villages in Quebec.

RV Parks are currently not the best option, at least in my part of the world. This summer, they were all so busy (because COVID-19 restricted other forms of travel) that you would need to reserve weeks in advance to get a spot. In winter, when the charging stop would be most useful, the parks are closed.
Agreed. That's an issue where you live, and in many places with a real winter. And yes, there are many RV parks that need advance reservations. But I was able to travel with the 2013 S because of RV parks.

CHAdeMO and CCS are pretty much 1:1 here. The downside for many EV drivers is that in most places, CCS is limited to 50kW as well. I suspect that the electrical infrastructure in many rural areas cannot support more than that.
I doubt very much if it's the electrical infrastructure as there are many Superchargers in smaller towns. They are probably just trying to get by as cheaply as possible.

The expansion of non Tesla DCFC networks, such as EA (paid for by the VW "Dieselgate" settlement) and Chargepoint, among others, should help those with the Chademo adapter.

I don't know if it will become a trend, but the Supercharger Station under construction in Montrose CO also has two Chargepoint DCFC stalls, each with both CCS and Chademo cords:

20201024_121346~2.jpg

I really like seeing this because it means more EVs, other than Teslas, will be able to make the routine road trips that we Tesla owners now take for granted.

For me, venturing off the Supercharger network is most easily accomplished via state parks and RV parks since I need a place to stay overnight anyway. Yes, I make sure to have reservations in place. I generally avoid road trips in the winter unless the weather is favorable; state parks and RV parks are generally open year 'round in the states around here IME.

Last edited:
I doubt very much if it's the electrical infrastructure as there are many Superchargers in smaller towns. They are probably just trying to get by as cheaply as possible.

Perhaps, but in many cases, "small town" is an overstatement. These places are villages of 1000-2000 residents at most. I'm just glad there are DCFC stations in those small places, even if only 50kW.

Perhaps, but in many cases, "small town" is an overstatement. These places are villages of 1000-2000 residents at most. I'm just glad there are DCFC stations in those small places, even if only 50kW.
That's what I call a small town. CHAdeMO and CCS as implemented are limited to 50 kW. I believe this is due to design in the case of CHAdeMO and cost for CCS.

That's what I call a small town. CHAdeMO and CCS as implemented are limited to 50 kW. I believe this is due to design in the case of CHAdeMO and cost for CCS.

Yes. Where I live a city is defined as having (or used to have) a population of 5000 or more. Towns are smaller. My county seat (Ouray) is a city with a population of about 900; it is a "city" because it had a population of more than 5000 during the silver and gold rush days in the late 1800s.

Many of the Chargepoint stalls I looked up in my general area seem to be limited to 62.5 kW, based on the Chargepoint app. Whether they will actually deliver that I can't determine. Some in bigger cities are listed at 62.5 to 125 kW.

The Chargepoint DCFC network is much more widespread than I realized. However, many are single stalls, so it is risky to rely on them without a "plan B." At least the Chargepoint app shows which are in use. Some of the Chargepoint stations in small towns are quite pricey: $0.25 per kWh + $0.20 per minute. Others on major routes are a reasonable $0.30 per kWh with no time charge. I think the cost often depends on the owner of the location.

The suggestion by TheRFMan to carry a Chademo adapter is a good one. I'd like a CCS adapter if one is technically feasible and ever becomes available. Still waiting!