Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

RWD LR Order?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Order Page.jpg

Probably means nothing but just noticed website allowed LR RWD reservation make it to the submit insurance page.

It’s both comical and very insulting at this point that Tesla can’t even do their customers the courtesy of clarifying the situation (a situation they caused in fact). It’s not an unfair request by customers who have placed $2500.00 preorder deposits to expect this.

I’m holding my reservation still, but honestly the more time that goes on being left in the dark, the less enthusiastic I am about owning a Tesla. It’s like entering a relationship on a bad footing.

Got the 'Prepare for Delivery' notice 3 weeks ago for my LR RWD. I ordered when it was still on the list. Also got the FSD for 6K since that was the price then so Tesla is delivering on it's commitment. Of course we'll see if it really happens but I'm checking my site a few times a week.

Any updates from this text message? Are you in fact getting a RWD in June?
I got as far as 'Prepare for Delivery' with insurance and $$ information. It's a sign of hope Tesla will deliver to customer orders..
It makes no sense that some have said the LR RWD is canceled. Then you have nothing between the high and low end designs and a big gap in deliveries. The LR RWD is perfect to fill that void.

• Helpful
Reactions: Gary95476
I can afford to spring for the higher AWD, but if they discontinue the RWD model and don’t honor preorders, I’m out of the Tesla brand to be honest. It won’t be about money but it will be about losing trust with Tesla.

That will make me move over to Ford Mach E. I have a reservation for both a Tesla Y RWD (placed about a month ago after reconsidering an earlier position I had on not doing a preorder) and one reservation for a Mach E California Edition.
Move away from Tesla and you'll never get FSD...ever.

Reactions: Electric Steve
I’m honestly not sure Tesla owners will ever get the fully featured FSD they’ve paid for. It’s at least a decade or more away from being realistic for a public launch and it has a long road ahead of itself for governmental approval (imho).

I do dream of the day when I can read the paper while being driven to work. :)

Had a long chat with Tesla today 4/17 about the RWD LR issue:

All RWD drives, that includes the LR and the Standard are 'scheduled' for 2021 but the LR may be moved up. Right now he didn't know.
I had to put words in his mouth.."so you say the LR RWD will not be built at all?" he quickly replied that's not what he said.

My impression is when the high end units show a slowdown , the LR will fill it up as needed; Tesla wants to be sure they fill as many high end orders first as possible...same story as the M3.

Asked about moving up from my LR RWD to AWD for the same price, he didn't say no...apparently it may be negotiable but you may have to go in and talk serious turkey in my opinion.

Asked why they sent out 'Prepare for Delivery' notices if they knew the LR delivery was a year off..didn't know the answer. Again my opinion is they know how many high end orders they have to fill and it's probably less than they anticipated especially with the virus thing and the LR orders may come sooner than we think.
It took some dancing around to get here but Tesla person was being careful and probably knew a bit more the he could let.

MHO is Tesla is doing the same thing as with the M3, (we just forgot) they don't want to jeopardize the high end orders by allowing a more popular but less profitable version to impact that until it has run its course. Tesla will squeeze each version to its max profitability...just good business.

So the good news is the LR RWD apparently has not gone away just because it isn't on the current order list, but neither is the Standard on the list. I think Tesla will release new versions as needed to maintain the profit forecast. And they don't want to highlight the LR RWD too much as it's a popular model and may siphon off the AWD so they simply say the 'RWD' is coming in 2021.

Please take all this with a grain of salt as other people have heard things differently. Waiting game at this point.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: nhoover
Had a long chat with Tesla today 4/17 about the RWD LR issue:

MHO is Tesla is doing the same thing as with the M3, (we just forgot) they don't want to jeopardize the high end orders by allowing a more popular but less profitable version to impact that until it has run its course. Tesla will squeeze each version to its max profitability...just good business.

So the good news is the LR RWD apparently has not gone away just because it isn't on the current order list, but neither is the Standard on the list. I think Tesla will release new versions as needed to maintain the profit forecast. And they don't want to highlight the LR RWD too much as it's a popular model and may siphon off the AWD so they simply say the 'RWD' is coming in 2021.

Please take all this with a grain of salt as other people have heard things differently. Waiting game at this point.

The Model 3 rollout was actually the opposite of the Model Y. The RWD was the only model available for almost a year before the AWD and Performance became available.

Reactions: blissdancer
View attachment 532909

Probably means nothing but just noticed website allowed LR RWD reservation make it to the submit insurance page.

Been like that for awhile...
I think the COVID-19 situation has shown us that nothing anyone says right now can be taken as gospel. The future is unwritten and always in motion according to a certain Jedi master.

"you don't need LR RWD"..."it's not the car your looking for"...

FWIW... submitted for your approval... as we are passing through the shadowy area of reality and the economic pandemic Twilight Zone.

My order for LR RWD White/White FSD in FL is in Waiting for formal writing up of Contract Completion/Delivery mode with Trade-in, insurance, title and all tasks completed with the $ balance due, tax etc. details set in 'concrete' as of March 20 when Tesla knew they were closing the plant in 3 days on March 23, so the deal/contract is clearly binding. (and BTW, there is no 30 day limit on the mutually completed and accepted trade in valuation part of the contract, especially where the plant closure was known and foreseeable, as opposed to the open trade-in OFFER 30 day limit.)

If you were Tesla, in order to maximize the $ profit on a completed deal... would you immediately deliver an upgraded AWD available vehicle for immediate delivery after the plant re-opens in order to minimize the declining value of the trade (MX in my case) or wait for production of the RWD and eat the lower trade-in value whenever RWD is ultimately delivered, (as I see used car prices are dropping significantly these days). In other words, would Tesla decide it is cheaper to provide an upgraded AWD than eat the lowering value of the trade-in value by waiting for RWD production? Remember, there are many examples of them leaving upgrades on cars especially in the early production of a new model because it was just cheaper not to swap it out.

Again, this is a case scenario for only those whose few whose LR RWD deal/contract has already been completely finalized. Just sayin...

• Funny
Reactions: MP3Mike