Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

RWD LR Order?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have to be candid that I’m losing interest in the Model Y. I used to read these forums every day, but no longer have found myself doing that. Being cooped up indoors during this pandemic, seeing losses that others have experienced and other issues has made me more thankful for what I have. I’m starting to rethink if I need or want to spend $50k on a new car (I have a good 2016 vehicle that runs great, albeit it gets 20mpg).

I just feel like I’m at that hot and well regarded restaurant waiting an extraordinarily long time for a table - and having no idea of when my table will be ready or if it will ever be ready (RWD order). I’m at the point of being mentally ready to give up and be happy somewhere else (or with what I already have). I know I will not have gotten that great experience or acclaimed food (or car in this case) but I’m suddenly okay with that.

The Model Y will do well, I have no doubt. Those that buy it should be happy and enjoy every minute of it. Best wishes and luck to all those wait it out, I hope it will be worth it and provide years of enjoyment. Thanks for the info and insight provided through these posts.

I have to be candid that I’m losing interest in the Model Y. I used to read these forums every day, but no longer have found myself doing that. Being cooped up indoors during this pandemic, seeing losses that others have experienced and other issues has made me more thankful for what I have. I’m starting to rethink if I need or want to spend $50k on a new car (I have a good 2016 vehicle that runs great, albeit it gets 20mpg).

I just feel like I’m at that hot and well regarded restaurant waiting an extraordinarily long time for a table - and having no idea of when my table will be ready or if it will ever be ready (RWD order). I’m at the point of being mentally ready to give up and be happy somewhere else (or with what I already have). I know I will not have gotten that great experience or acclaimed food (or car in this case) but I’m suddenly okay with that.

The Model Y will do well, I have no doubt. Those that buy it should be happy and enjoy every minute of it. Best wishes and luck to all those wait it out, I hope it will be worth it and provide years of enjoyment. Thanks for the info and insight provided through these posts.

This car will be around... If you change your mind in 3 years, it'll probably be even better with 400 mile range

received generic thank you for your patience... text yesterday slightly different from other non-RWDs stating orders will be prioritized for customers who have submitted all items.
Responded stating all items completed 3/21/20 and asked for specific update to my RN.
Will report when I hear back.
Details in signature.

YTEXT051520.png

received generic thank you for your patience... text yesterday slightly different from other non-RWDs stating orders will be prioritized for customers who have submitted all items.
Responded stating all items completed 3/21/20 and asked for specific update to my RN.
Will report when I hear back.
Details in signature.

View attachment 542199

My SO with an AWD order received the same text as you, but I did not for my RWD. You're saying you got this text for your RWD order specifically?

• Informative
Reactions: Watts_Up
Just my opinion.. there will never be a RWD MY. I think eventually there will be a SR+ that will have slightly lower range to previously advertised RWD. That or Tesla will bring back RWD for both M3 and MY (a less likely scenario). Hard to imagine a scenario where there is a RWD for one of the models (MY/M3) and not the other.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
Just my opinion.. there will never be a RWD MY. I think eventually there will be a SR+ that will have slightly lower range to previously advertised RWD. That or Tesla will bring back RWD for both M3 and MY (a less likely scenario). Hard to imagine a scenario where there is a RWD for one of the models (MY/M3) and not the other.
Certainly possible.

• Disagree
Reactions: anon125110

Don't understand your logic here. LRs have the same battery. The SRs have one motor. It seems easy and simple to put an LR battery into an SR Y = LR RWD Y.

I think the main reason Tesla got rid of the RWD LR 3 was to differentiate between S X and 3 in terms of range.

SR+ is RWD in a Model 3, I would assume a SR or SR+ would be RWD in the Model Y to decrease the cost and increase the range with one less motor. LR RWD has the same battery pack as LR AWD just with only one motor so theoretically they could make LR RWD for the people who have ordered it if they are going to make a SR or SR+ which should be RWD in order to meet the originally advertised price of the SR.

I believe the LR RWD MY will be built. If they weren't going to build it they would have contacted us to concert us to some other offering. I don't know why they have delayed announcing their production plans for the LR RWD MY. Hopefully it isn't to piss off this book of business and make them run to other products. That's not good business sense. I gave my $2500 reserve for a white FSD LR RWD MY in May2019.

Reactions: pongajim
I believe the LR RWD MY will be built. If they weren't going to build it they would have contacted us to concert us to some other offering. I don't know why they have delayed announcing their production plans for the LR RWD MY. Hopefully it isn't to piss off this book of business and make them run to other products. That's not good business sense. I gave my $2500 reserve for a white FSD LR RWD MY in May2019.

What was the estimated date for RWD deliveries when you put down your deposit? (Maybe they are still planning to keep to the same schedule.)

But a similar thing happened with the Model X at launch. They had a coil suspension suspension option that they decided to not ever build. But they didn't decide right away, they kept putting people off until eventually they told them to either upgrade to air suspension or cancel their order. (I don't remember Tesla offering any concessions for the upgrade.)

I sort of think there might have been similar issues around the 60 kWh battery size and RWD vs. AWD on the Model X, but I'm not positive about them.