Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

RWD nav and traffic

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm waiting on delivery of a RWD Model 3 and I'm wondering if I'll have real time traffic info on the navigation system. Since Premium Connectivity is no longer available on RWD models does that mean that the nav system won't be able to access traffic info?

Has nothing to do with RWD or AWD, has to do with SR.

The MR and LR RWD models came with the same interior features and connectivity AWD cars did

All SR cars (plus and regular) do not.

That said, all model 3s have the traffic data and it's used for navigation....but it doesn't display on the screen for SR cars.

The MR and LR RWD models came with the same interior features and connectivity AWD cars did

That said, all model 3s have the traffic data and it's used for navigation....but it doesn't display on the screen for SR cars.

Unfortunately, RWD Model 3's lost the option of MR or LR back in October and are now only offered with SR Plus.

I used to think that too. But, I greatly doubt SR+ receives traffic data at all. There’d be times when google maps on my phone rerouted me to skip traffic but the car didn’t. Visualization of that data is trivial. The data is what costs.

Reactions: SilverSp33d3r
I used to think that too. But, I greatly doubt SR+ receives traffic data at all. There’d be times when google maps on my phone rerouted me to skip traffic but the car didn’t. Visualization of that data is trivial. The data is what costs.

Doubt all you like, it remains true.

Tesla doesn't use google as their traffic source so it's not uncommon one doesn't agree with the other.

it doesn't "cost" tesla anything to turn on the rear seat heaters or fog lights that are physically in SR cars and yet they don't because they have to have SOME differentiation in what is largely, physically, the same vehicle.

If a Model 3 doesn't have Premium Connectivity how does it receive real time traffic data, even if the results are not displayed on screen?

Not sure why you think that matters?

All models have LTE regardless of their data plan. It's how they push critical updates for example.

Traffic would come same way.

Since you haven't taken possession yet, maybe you can still upgrade to a better vehicle. TBH, I can't see how anyone can buy a limited-feature Tesla.
The reason that one would buy a limited-feature Model 3 is because Tesla has eliminated almost every option for RWD models, probably in order to speed the production line before federal rebates expire at the end of the year. The price jump between an AWD car and a RWD car is pretty significant, but I would have bought the premium connectivity option had it been available when I placed my order in late October.

I believe that critical updates on SR+ Model 3's are only done when the vehicle is connected via wifi, at home while charging for example, but I could be wrong. But I certainly hope that all models have LTE and traffic data!
You have it flipped. Their intent is that critical updates WILL get pushed over LTE to everyone. Non-critical updates would be delivered by WiFi only (for non-premium connectivity).

HOWEVER...there's what Tesla says and then there's what Tesla does. Those are frequently different.

PER THE WEBSITE. Yes, non-premium connectivity is supposed to mean, no web browser, no netflix/hulu/youtube, no streaming music, etc. However, as of the V10 release, all of this was turned on for the SR/SR+ cars as well. Tesla has said this is a temporary move (presumably to give them time to figure out how to charge for it), but that remains to be seen. Tesla also said that LR cars ordered after July 1, 2018 would only have one year of Premium Connectivity included, but to date, no one has been cut off.

And yes, as you mentioned, SR/SR+ (ie., non-premium connectivity), is supposed to mean that if you don't have WiFi available in your garage, then you will get less frequent updates ... however, this too seems to be "the same" for everyone. That is, if you are LTE-only, then you don't get many updates regardless SR/LR.

Also on that same site where they say that regardless, the traffic data is used to route you, the difference is in the SR/SR+ you don't get the freeways color coded on the map with traffic.

Reactions: RobRainVid
Ouch, that sucks. I was not aware of that. If you live in a warmer climate, the only reason for AWD is to go faster. In the north, we need it to get through the snow.

You really don't... you just need good tires. EVs are fantastic in winter regardless of drive train due to low center of gravity and virtually instant control of traction thanks to direct motor control.... (plus tires are much more important the drive train for most winter driving anyway....RWD with snow tires is a lot safer than AWD with all-seasons for example)

See the tons of RWD owners in the northern US, Canada, Alaska, and northern Europe all happily driving through winters with problem.

Ouch, that sucks. I was not aware of that. If you live in a warmer climate, the only reason for AWD is to go faster. In the north, we need it to get through the snow.

You really don't... you just need good tires. EVs are fantastic in winter regardless of drive train due to low center of gravity and virtually instant control of traction thanks to direct motor control.... (plus tires are much more important the drive train for most winter driving anyway....RWD with snow tires is a lot safer than AWD with all-seasons for example)

See the tons of RWD owners in the northern US, Canada, Alaska, and northern Europe all happily driving through winters with problem.

I have snow tires AND I like to go fast in the snow and ice. ;)