Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

S Observations with the D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought my Model S four months ago. From the stock I paid off half the car and used what was left for savings and taking a trip to Italy. Unlike most that are on this forum I don't make a pile of cash. Don't get me wrong, me and my wife are in very respected fields and we make really good money with our education, etc. But we are network engineers, not doctors or lawyers. Nor do we own a booming business. I've seen multiple posts where people will say non-chalantly "I just dropped another 120k on a P85D and I am keeping my old one" with no concern.

I am happy for those people. I guess what I am trying to say and give perspective on is getting the Model S for me was not a stretch, but a very difficult decision. I could not drop another 100k on a 85D, nor would it be a smart financial choice to trade in my lovely blue S85 for an 85D with autopilot. I've come to terms that when I bought the Model S, the Model X and the Model 3 would be out by the time I even think of getting a new car. So, I suppose its about perspective going into the Model S. If you bought the highest model with all the bells and whistles, only for it to get a even newer one in the coming months after, I could see someone being regretful if this was a stretch or a tough financial choice. So I could see resentment there. For those who have a pool of cash, its less likely that there is regret.

Me, I have no regret. Even with the S85, I have allowed over 20+ people to test drive my car and they still say "HOLY SH$@" EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. That to me is worth it and to look back on what I could have got if I waited four months is silly. I am lucky I can even afford to get a 100k car! There are people out there sharing a single 10k car that breaks down all the damn time. There are people in much worse situations.

I lost track on what I was trying to say, hah. Basically, the short version is people need to realize how lucky they are they can even consider a Model S in their life. A lot of countries can't even order them yet. And some are sitting here saying "But... but its shinier!.... :( " I say get over it, trade in your car if you feel strongly enough. But the last thing Tesla did was screw us over. We knew Dual Motors and Autonomous driving was coming, for those who had their ear to the ground. You should have waited if you knew you'd feel this way. I am not going to be harsh and say grow up, but please realize how lucky one is to even be in this car market for a 100k vehicle.

Thanks. Sometime I channel my Mom, the poet.
Thanks Vger for your inspiring account of your great experience at The D Event and for the meal and another wonderful visit. I honor you for all that you do inspire in others and appreciate Your Friendship. I would love to have the New Auto Pilot but with my 1 year Anniversary coming up on December 16, I would never trade all the amazing fun and meeting such great people for any upgrade I may not have. I am totally Grateful for what I have and Gratitude is a great place to Live!

I don't own a computer. Just think how much better off I am that I waited! Remember the Commador 64? I knew there would be something better just around the corner. So I waited. Soon there was the IBM XT. It wasn't a year or two later that you could buy a 286, then a 386 that was so much faster! I feel sorry for the fools who bought those. Now we've had a couple decades of Pentium this and Pentium that. Just think if I had one of those - it would be obsolete now! Devalued overnight!

Signed,
Still-waiting-for-a-computer-because-they'll-be-better-next-year
:tongue:

I am totally Grateful for what I have and Gratitude is a great place to Live!

+1. Being grateful is such an important quality for living a happy life. My grandfather said to me when I was a child whining about something: "I cried when I had no shoes, until I met a man with no feet." He lived through the depression and lived that statement. I have never forgot it and repeat it often to the younger generation. We have so much yet we also complain so much.

I'm very grateful for my six month old car and I'm also happy for those soon to get the cool new features.

Thanks Wiztecy for starting this thread and for your thoughtful comments. It was such a pleasant read after all the complaining going on here lately.

I don't own a computer. Just think how much better off I am that I waited! Remember the Commador 64? I knew there would be something better just around the corner. So I waited. Soon there was the IBM XT. It wasn't a year or two later that you could buy a 286, then a 386 that was so much faster! I feel sorry for the fools who bought those. Now we've had a couple decades of Pentium this and Pentium that. Just think if I had one of those - it would be obsolete now! Devalued overnight!

Signed,

Hah!

Wish I'd read this thread earlier, you all truly represent what it's all about.

Canuck, this quote "I cried when I had no shoes, until I met a man with no feet." has stuck with me my whole life. My grandfather, like yours lived through the depression, he came to California on a freight train from Missouri, this was his favorite saying. Really, it can't be said enough and deserves it's own line:

"I cried when I had no shoes, until I met a man with no feet."

Last edited:
SNIPPINESS-OF-THE-DAY Post:

Speaking as someone who has been incommunicado (meaning: I couldn't RECEIVE any news. Or internet. Or forums...) for the past nine days and 3,610 miles,

Can't someone here put all these gazillion "D" threads into one? Fer cry-i, I've got thousands of posts to read!!!!!!!

PS: It was, as usual, a great trip......:cool:

Signed,

A very similar story: 3.5 years ago I put solar panels on my house. Every year since, there have been better solar panels available.
My current system will pay for itself by about 2019. If I had waited I would have been able to get a better system ( produces more energy for less money ) that would pay for itself by about the same date ( taking less time to do so ).
If I had waited, I would have a better system that would produce more energy over the lifetime of the system.
By installing when I did I maximized the amount of energy that I would produce over the first several years.

Choices are hard.

Well said Wiz!!!...the whiners need to factor into the equation the thrilling time and experiences they have had whilst they've owned their vehicles (these experiences come at a cost!)...for some ridiculous reason, all they seem to tally is economics...a pathetically inferior way of measuring your EV driving / owning experience imo...:rolleyes:

wiztecy, great post. I'm right there with you on that issue. I stopped reading all the whining posts from people who didn't get new features that they never ordered or paid for. They got exactly the car they ordered, their cars are still awesome, they should drive and enjoy them and stop complaining.

I'm an S owner for 10 months who last week bought a 1.5 Roadster (sold my Porsche Cayman, I'm done with ICE cars). I love my Roadster! I love the direct steering, the whine of the motor, and the lack of fancy features. It reminds me of all the Porsche 356's I've owned: simple, elemental, gracefully proportioned and in touch with the road. Except it does zero to sixty in under 4 seconds instead of 14 and it has almost no oversteer. ;-)

Well said, W. I, like others, would like to add to your reputation but am maxed-out.

I really don't understand the 'depreciation' argument. Sure, it sounds tough for the guy that picked up his car yesterday and today finds this announced. Perhaps even in five years time his car will be less desirable (less $$$) than one with the D or autopilot features. But, what if Tesla didn't announce it today, but instead in a year's time? Surely in five years time he would be in the same situation?

The alternative, of Tesla not innovating, would be far worse for everyone.

Signed,

As opposed to me :mad: I once paid $8K for a 386 desktop. Thought that was a bargain after paying $3K for a 20MB hard drive (off brand - name brands were $6K).

Deal with it people! That's how technology works...

It happens all the time with ICE cars as well. A Corvette used to top out at about 200HP. Think those didn't depreciate like rocks once 400HP was available?

I remember the first VCR that my then-husband and I bought. State of the art. Over $1000. The remote was connected to it by a long cable. And we were stylin', latest technology in the house. Everyone ooh'ed and ahh'ed when they came over. And it was the size of a small car. (Okay, that's an exaggeration, but you get my point.) Probably around 1980...

Things change, technology advances, prices come down. Reading the forum, it's clear a lot of people really don't get the whole 'early adopter' thing. They like to say they're early adopters, they just don't want to deal with the reality of being one.

It's cute. For about 10 seconds or so.

Wow, that brings back memories. I remember those beasts. They came out even before video stores.

But really, Bonnie, you can't compare your old VCR to a Tesla. Tesla must be compared to Apple and I expected my Tesla to end up like this (were it not for the damn "D" and sensors)...

• On November 24, 2012, a working Apple I was sold at auction by Auction Team Breker for €400,000 ($671,000 USD)[SUP][24][/SUP]
[SUP]
;)
[/SUP]

I had a Sony DVP-S7000 DVD player at around US$1,000. Price now for China clones with more functionality - US$30. My first hard drive was 10MB and cost about US$1,000 as well. I put a 1TB drive in my laptop last year for under US$100.

Depreciation for early-adopters is brutal.

Wow, that brings back memories. I remember those beasts. They came out even before video stores.

But really, Bonnie, you can't compare your old VCR to a Tesla. Tesla must be compared to Apple and I expected my Tesla to end up like this (were it not for the damn "D" and sensors)...

• On November 24, 2012, a working Apple I was sold at auction by Auction Team Breker for €400,000 ($671,000 USD)[SUP][24][/SUP]
[SUP]
;)
[/SUP]

Good luck with that :).

- - - Updated - - -

I had a Sony DVP-S7000 DVD player at around US$1,000. Price now for China clones with more functionality - US$30. My first hard drive was 10MB and cost about US$1,000 as well. I put a 1TB drive in my laptop last year for under US$100.

Depreciation for early-adopters is brutal.

I look at it as the cost for enjoying the miles I've had in my Roadster that I would otherwise have missed out on.

Excellent example Bonnie...i think you're right...some of these "early adopters" want the "we are styling " cache`, without paying the piper...

I remember the first VCR that my then-husband and I bought. State of the art. Over $1000. The remote was connected to it by a long cable. And we were stylin', latest technology in the house. Everyone ooh'ed and ahh'ed when they came over. And it was the size of a small car. (Okay, that's an exaggeration, but you get my point.) Probably around 1980...

Things change, technology advances, prices come down. Reading the forum, it's clear a lot of people really don't get the whole 'early adopter' thing. They like to say they're early adopters, they just don't want to deal with the reality of being one.

It's cute. For about 10 seconds or so.