Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

S&P500 rebalancing and non-index buying/selling

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unclear, but over the past 3 yrs @mongo and I have discussed the following theory. For this S&P 500 rebalancing event, the following is at play:
  • the S&P 500 index reference date for the Q4 rebalancing was the 3rd Fri of Nov,
  • at that time (Nov 18, 2022), TSLA S&P 500 weight was about 1.439%
  • TSLA's previous weight for the Q3 rebalance (as of Aug 18, 22) was ~2.096%
Now this next part is conjecture: S&P 500 index funds will rebalance by selling approx 2.096/1.439 = 45% percent of the TSLA holdings over 3-5 trading sessions centered around the rebalance date (Fri, Dec 16, 2022). That's on the order of 100M shares of TSLA.

Most Index Funds will trade (rebalance) at the Closing Cross on Fri, Dec 16, 2022. That makes today's volume (already 136M shares by 2:15 pm) the 'jockeying' before the main event.

Note that I do not KNOW this, and that @mongo has made a strong case that the daily change in index weights due to SP movements naturally rebalances the index. He may well be right, and there is no issue this week.

However, I persist because the available evidence has lead to successful predictions of strong volume on rebalancing days (typically, extreme volume at the Closing Cross on the rebalance date). So again, I don't know, I'm just following the evidence.

So what is the financial motivation for large hedge funds to beat down TSLA ahead of the S&P 500 rebalancing? They know that a large number of shares will change hands in the week of the rebalancing. If they can drive down the SP before the rebalance date, then they create their own bargain price on a large number of shares. All they have to do afterward is take their boot off the throat of TSLA, selling into the rising SP for a tidy and risk-free profit.

Anyway, I predicted this months ago now, so we'll see if events match the theory. But the puppeteers will not be exposed by this little drama, since they pull all the strings (and they own the theatre).

Say an index has only two stocks for $10 each - they’re each 50% of the index.

If one goes to $5 and the other goes to $15, one stock is now 25% of the index and the other is 75%. No need to sell anything to rebalance since the float hasn’t changed.

But @generalenthu expects they’ll actually need to buy to rebalance because Elon’s recent sale increased the float.

Reactions: transpondster
I feel talky...
Here's the thing, weights are individual floats versus sum of all floats. Tesla is currently 1ish percent down from 2 ish. So in terms of total funds it moved the denominator 1%, not a lot so let's ignore that for the moment.
Tesla dropping in half means its weight is half. However, its value was also halved. So it effectively self-reballanced since number of shares in the funds didn't change(ignoring the 1% denominator shift).
BUT! This assumes funds didn't buy TSLA at the old weight this whole time, otherwise they would effectively be buying 4x the shares they should have. Twice the weight * twice the shares per dollar.

Given this would create huge corrections every rebalancing time and the fact that IWFs and stock counts and prices are all known, I tend to think they actively act on current weights so the action is all due to updated IWFs, share counts, and the total (denominator) which is going to drop (along with constituents) due to macro.
S&P 500 Companies - S&P 500 Index Components by Market Cap

• Helpful
Reactions: Artful Dodger

And here's a random website that says the S&P 500 actively adjust to stock price changes How Is the S&P 500 Calculated?
The S&P 500 is a prime example of a market capitalization weighted average that is continuously float-adjusted. (The Dow Jones Industrial Average is a price-weighted benchmark for U.S. stocks.) Float-adjusted means the index is continually recalculated based on the number and price of shares trading.

Hopefully next week is better for TSLA. In hindsight Elon's timing worked out well for him relative to TSLA's stock price rebalancing in the SP500. And now could be an opportune time for a BoD approved stock repurchase assuming there isn't a demand slow down etc. o_O

Mongo confused on your meaning, Rivian isn't in the S&P500...
Heck of a closing cross though...

Indeed, there's high volume EVERYWHERE. This being a negative correlation to the rebalance event in this case (hidden variable indicated). ;)

connected-everywhere-meme_otto.jpg

Cheers!

• Helpful
Reactions: mongo
So index funds will sell a bit due to the above. General rebalancing doesn't have much affect?

Non-index funds won't need to sell because they don't own enough TSLA anyway.