Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

S vs Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Youtube.

For my .02 cents, I've owned a 2015 P85D and a 2020MY. The MY was the better of the two vehicles.
I have an order in for a Refreshed MS. Would not consider a pre-refresh MS over a Y though.

Thanks glide. What were the features of the Y you preferred over the '15 S? When was the S refresh done?
Pros for the Y:
Ride height
View of the road
Faster charging
Longer range (compared to my 2015 S)
Better Efficiency
Heat pump (important for me as I live in an area with cold winters)
Better build quality

The Model S was refreshed in 2021. If you're looking at a pre-refresh Model S, you are going to be hamstrung by old battery technology, a dated interior, code-base that is no longer supported for the touch screen, and questionable build quality depending on year of manufacture.

I would always recommend a new Y over a pre-2021 Model S.

Reactions: mdk89135
Youtube.

The MY was the better of the two vehicles.
I have an order in for a Refreshed MS. Would not consider a pre-refresh MS over a Y though.
Yes yes yes. Can you say door pockets? Much more storage. The MY drives like it's on rails. Still a fun to drive car with plenty of room. I'm thinking maybe more room or it feels like more room in the back seat of the Y over the S.

Does anyone have a different opinion - preferences for an S in the 2017 / '18 range over a new Y?
I don't think you can go wrong with the S. I have always missed my 2017 S75RWD but will say now that I own the MX and the MY, The S did have it's down falls and one of them is door pickets. I know I know, no big deal but come on, how come they couldn't figure it out for people that wanted the option. There is no center console storage. Not saying there's no storage, but the center console has 0. It's a bigger sedan and on air suspension is more of a plush drive from what I remember. If you lay down the rear seats, I believe there is much more room than the MY. I think you can put a thin queen air mattress in the back. The Y is just a little tight. A Tesla is a tesla is a tesla. You can't go wrong with any of them. Sure the 18650's is a little older of a battery and battery chemistry but it's still not a bad thing. Sure the MY/M3's may charge a bit quicker, the S still S/C just fine.

I would recommend a test drive in the Y but I'd get the S for it sounds like this is the way you want to go. Get what you want and never look back.

I have 2 Y’s (a 2021 long range and a 2020 performance) but I’m really wanting a new MS long range. I love my Y’s but I drive 35k miles per year so I’m assuming the MS would be a good choice for me considering the extra range and the softer ride. The MYP is fun to drive but it’s not the softest ride you ever had that’s for sure….

Had a Y order, cancelled it. Knew I'd be disappointed in it (even though like the ride height) compared to the S.
Saw too many Y deliveries with bad quality, loose trim/seats, dirty trim, I'd miss that 2nd screen, LR Y is the slowest of all Teslas, range is worse, so kinda said heck, S it is.

Reactions: Darmie
We were given a loaner M3 for these last few days. That Model Y is huge compared to the 3. You will love the extra room in the Y but do know the M3 just felt so much smaller and feels really low down on the road.

Attachments

• messages_0 (27).jpeg
    messages_0 (27).jpeg
    66.7 KB · Views: 61
  • messages_0 (26).jpeg
    messages_0 (26).jpeg
    57.8 KB · Views: 41
  • messages_0 (25).jpeg
    messages_0 (25).jpeg
    81.4 KB · Views: 45