Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SA Govt EV Network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
RAA station with 2 CCS plugs (Seaford). This site construction is underway according to PlugShare, I’ll go for a drive and have a look to see how far along it is. :)

Regarding the RAA Seaford Site, a Concrete truck is onsite at the moment pouring the foundations for the charger. Trenches were dug on Monday and electrical conduit laid.

What is interesting is the conduits head towards a SAPN Switching Cubicle, not a Padmount Transformer, so I do wonder if SAPN has to install a Padmount Transformer at this site. If so, it will be anyone's guess what the delay on that is.

Last edited:
Reactions: dronus
Regarding the RAA Seaford Site, a Concrete truck is onsite at the moment pouring the foundations for the charger. Trenches were dug on Monday and electrical conduit laid.

What is interesting is the conduits head towards a SAPN Switching Cubicle, not a Padmount Transformer, so I do wonder if SAPN has to install a Padmount Transformer at this site.
Is that normal for a single 2 outlet dispenser?
Being up in that back corner would encourage me to stay in the car rather than go into the shops and leave the car there in case i had to bug out :)

On the way back from Ceduna I thought I’d check the Wudinna site, expecting it to look the same as before.

I found an RAA employee going through the commissioning!

He said it would be active this afternoon, but it’s not showing up yet.

Also mentioned Streaky Bay and Kimba wouldn’t be far off (next few days).

IMG_5109.jpeg

IMG_5110.jpeg

On the way back from Ceduna I thought I’d check the Wudinna site, expecting it to look the same as before.

I found an RAA employee going through the commissioning!

He said it would be active this afternoon, but it’s not showing up yet.

Also mentioned Streaky Bay and Kimba wouldn’t be far off (next few days).
Another photo on the Streaky Bay PlugShare listing with the same car this afternoon - and a comment from 'Jared' saying It's been commissioned :)
Nothing in Chargefox yet... (and it seems the Kimba 7kW AC sites are offline...)

Jared has also posted on the Wudinna Hall listing about it being commissioned.

I'm guessing you can use them now with an RFID card before they appear in the Chargefox app?

Reactions: Hairyman
“Rev up your electric vehicle…”

Really? 🤣🤣🤣
Not sure if anyone else caught it but during the BYD Seal launch part of the coverage involved bringing in a guy whom supposedly had never been in an EV before so they could show his amazement at it all. Carefully selected for his knowledge in cars. Clearly demonstrated when he sat in the drivers seat and said “it’s a shame we are indoors, I’d like to hear what this sounds like when it starts up” or something similar - referring to what a sports car sounds like. Everyone just looked at each other. Yep, maybe a chime or a whirring sound.. haha

Reactions: Vostok
Still not showing in the Chargefox app yet, but the District Council of Streaky Bay just posted about the RAA Charge site being operational.
And apparently the (one and only!) Hotel has installed chargers too.

View attachment 989656
Must be an isolated incident, according to city of Onkaparinga’s study it’s not something Council’s do. I’ll forward them that post. Unless of course it is supplied by the service stations… 😉

• Funny
Reactions: Craig 128
Ardrossan charger being installed. Transformer installed on the Stobie pole but not connected. Next to the fish and chip shop. As seems to be usual for RAA it's across the road from the caravan park. Toilets are right around the other side of the block. Better than the Port Wakefield which is out the way from anything other than the caravan park. Here are photos of Ardrossan.

Attachments

• PXL_20231118_010943212.jpg
    PXL_20231118_010943212.jpg
    862.6 KB · Views: 18
  • PXL_20231118_011011450.jpg
    PXL_20231118_011011450.jpg
    635.6 KB · Views: 18
  • PXL_20231118_011039605.jpg
    PXL_20231118_011039605.jpg
    686 KB · Views: 17

What is interesting is the conduits head towards a SAPN Switching Cubicle, not a Padmount Transformer, so I do wonder if SAPN has to install a Padmount Transformer at this site. If so, it will be anyone's guess what the delay on that is.
Is that normal for a single 2 outlet dispenser?

It depends if there is any free capacity on the transformer.

However.... Contractors are back on site today and this time they are trenching towards the transformer. If it was a slight mistake, and it will be feed from the existing transformer, we might see it online this side of Christmas.

I was at the RAA Ardrossan site again today, and the electricians were working on the site. They expect power to be on tomorrow so commissioning can start. Hopefully in a few weeks it should be available! I think RAA has underestimated the demand at Ardrossan. It's a town where a lot of people drop in on their way travelling down and up the Yorke. It's a constant stream of people travelling at the public toilets and bakery. We dropped in and ended up spending money in at least 7 shops including butcher, hardware, clothing, supermarket as well as bakery and cafe. Hopefully Yorke Peninsula Council get on board and get extra ultra fast chargers there as soon as we start getting queues and wait times on these 2 new DC chargers.
PXL_20231120_235819612x.jpg

Reactions: Craig 128
Here is the result of my communications with Onkaparinga council which was facilitated through my local elected Cr who was more than helpful with my enquiry.

Long story short it looks like apart from allowing RAA on a case by case basis they are hoping that service stations and private companies take up the load on private land.

Ie “ It is anticipated that EV charging infrastructure will become a service provided for by petrol stations.”

Good luck with that!

I have made contact with JOLT and will also make contact with other private companies to see what their plans are.

It’s such a shame that many people will miss out on seeing (what I consider) some of the most beautiful areas of SA, perhaps due to range anxiety like the visitors I met at Christie’s.

Any other suggestions on how I can help are more than welcomed, I work full time but am passionate about sharing the south with visitors.

Quote-

At Council’s Strategic Directions Committee meeting held on 6 June 2023, a report was presented (item 7.1) and elected members adopted the Electric Vehicle Charging Infrastructure on Local Government Land policy. A presentation was also provided at the meeting and the meeting recording is available on our website.

Key considerations for the development of council’s policy position included:

• the level of need for council to permit EV charging infrastructure on local government land and roads, giving consideration to the role of private land,
  • the best way for council to support EV uptake,
  • opportunity costs and potential benefits of using local government land and roads for EV charging infrastructure, and
  • risks associated with allowing EV charging infrastructure on local government land and roads.
The policy is based upon a rigorous investigation into market trends, policies of other councils, expert advice, government policy and funding directions.

Our policy position is that, in general, council will not own and operate EV charging infrastructure for public use. Ideally, and in the first instance, demand for public EV charging infrastructure will be met by the private sector on private land. It is anticipated that EV charging infrastructure will become a service provided for by petrol stations.

Council will consider privately owned infrastructure on local government land and roads where a community or council benefit can be demonstrated i.e., if there is a recognised gap in the network that cannot be readily filled by infrastructure on private land - this is the approach taken with the RAA charging stations mentioned by the resident. One such example is the EV charging infrastructure at the Seaford Shopping Centre (?) where council facilitated approvals for the charging infrastructure. Approval for new locations and agreements with private charging infrastructure providers will be made at manager level.

Thank you.

Civic Governance Team
I have requested the following:
  • Is there a building requirement for new or redeveloped petrol stations to include EV charging facilities going forward?
  • Is it possible to see a copy of the rigorous investigation that was conducted to form the policy? Is that in the public domain?

As it would seem that other councils across SA and interstate are making excellent headway in promoting EV charging infrastructure which promotes tourism and environmental benefits.
Again, I’m not suggesting that the council pays for EV charging infrastructure, although it would be nice if they did, I think we can do better to support our awesome local small businesses and give tourists the best experience while visiting our awesome region.

Is that an update from the j-1772 charge star that was on PlugShare?
Still there, last used yesterday - https://www.plugshare.com/location/101320

(obviously the 'free' - if you have a J-1772 adapter - pricing outweighs the 32c (5pm-10pm) or 25c (all other times) Type 2 pricing from RAA if you just need that cheeky trickle top up)

I think Normanville is the first time that both the DC *and* AC stations have been commissioned at once?
From all the other sites - Cowell, Kimba, Streaky Bay, etc - the DC stalls have been commissioned but not the AC ones (or at least they don't show in the Chargefox app)