Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sad you're not at TMC Connect?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I didn't go so these are the comments of a non-attendee:

I kinda think the radio silence during the event -- no informative Tweets, no liveblogging, no video, no media coverage -- hurt TMC Connect rather than helped. And by extension hurt Tesla more than helped.

Not surprising, since an Elon-less event, as far as the media is concerned, means a Tesla-less event.

No buzz created about the conference. No aura. Didn't help the brand any. The silence turned the TMC Connect conference into a tree falling in a forest with nobody around to hear it. The strategy is fine if the goal is to keep the event a closed, private get-together by "insiders" (read: owners, serious enthusiasts).

But is that really the best strategy? A better strategy, in my opinion, would have been to negotiate approval with Tesla's communications team beforehand of a handful of teasers, newsbites, and photos, judiciously posted every now and then before, during, and shortly after the conference. The media would have picked up on that. Social media would have spread the word. There would have been a positive buzz cycle. Everybody, and the TMC/Tesla brands, would've won.

Instead, nobody won except the attendees, and they're not talkin'.

Nah, that's Fellini's Satyricon incarnate.

I mean, say, Re/Code, or Apple's WWDC, or any O'Reilly tech conference, etc. But, again, I don't know the goals of the TMC org. If it's just a small club, ignore my comments. If it has ambitious and dreams to grow, grow, grow, then well, I've offered my $0.02.

Tinm,

I agree with your assessment of the current Tesla commitment to TMC Connect. Very similar to the early days of PCA (Porsche Club of America).
Over 50 years ago PCA was a very small serious enthusiasts event ... today it is an annual event of over 2,000 with major factory support and promotion.
Think of it this way, once Tesla has reached critical mass they will jump into TMC with both feet as they recognize the value of early adopters and enthusiasts.

I didn't go so these are the comments of a non-attendee: I kinda think the radio silence during the event -- no informative Tweets, no liveblogging, no video, no media coverage -- hurt TMC Connect rather than helped. And by extension hurt Tesla more than helped.

Not surprising, since an Elon-less event, as far as the media is concerned, means a Tesla-less event. No buzz created about the conference. No aura. Didn't help the brand any. The silence turned the TMC Connect conference into a tree falling in a forest with nobody around to hear it. The strategy is fine if the goal is to keep the event a closed, private get-together by "insiders" (read: owners, serious enthusiasts).

But is that really the best strategy? A better strategy, in my opinion, would have been to negotiate approval with Tesla's communications team beforehand of a handful of teasers, newsbites, and photos, judiciously posted every now and then before, during, and shortly after the conference. The media would have picked up on that. Social media would have spread the word. There would have been a positive buzz cycle. Everybody, and the TMC/Tesla brands, would've won.

Instead, nobody won except the attendees, and they're not talkin'.

Nah, that's Fellini's Satyricon incarnate.

I mean, say, Re/Code, or Apple's WWDC, or any O'Reilly tech conference, etc. But, again, I don't know the goals of the TMC org. If it's just a small club, ignore my comments. If it has ambitious and dreams to grow, grow, grow, then well, I've offered my $0.02.

No buzz created about the conference. No aura. Didn't help the brand any. The silence turned the TMC Connect conference into a tree falling in a forest with nobody around to hear it. The strategy is fine if the goal is to keep the event a closed, private get-together by "insiders" (read: owners, serious enthusiasts).
Haha big "Countdown to Connect" on the top of TMC page then nothing on the forum. Almost appears to a forum reader that it was a "total bust" or was insignificant.

I have to agree, Tinm. For those of us unable to make the conference each year, it was always great to live vicariously through the members who tweeted, live-blogged, etc... not to mention watching the videos that were posted shortly after.

This radio-silence is the opposite of that... something that was once looked forward to is kind of a negative thing now, for those of us unable to join. :(